cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When will we get truly unlimited data from cell providers

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I has a solicitor from Spectrum/Charter trying to get me to move from DirectV to their tv service. I already use them as my home internet provider. I argued that I use DTV because of the rv. She tried to sell me on the idea that I could take it with me to wherever WIFI was available and I would have access to all Spectrum hotspots.

Primary thing that prevents my from trying this is that I only get 30 GB of data, to use as a hotspot for the month, and I know this would not last very long. Of course there are coverage issues with the phone that need to improve. Campground WIFI providers aren't pleased with campers trying to stream video.

This is likely the way we get all of our tv, in the future. Just wondering how far away from this, as the norm and if any areas of the country is making progress in this direction.
51 REPLIES 51

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
5G will make cable TV go the way of the VCR and cassette player. Wireless carriers will offer unlimited data, but will also take over home internet and TV distribution. If I worked for Xfinity, I'd be very nervous.

T18skyguy wrote:
I look forward to the day when speed will not be an issue, nor how much data you use. From reading about the forthcoming 5G networks, with speeds of 10 gigabytes per second, you might think that data usage would become a moot point. Maybe it will, but they will suck the money out of us one way or another. The carrier's did a study and gave a bunch of people 5G just to see what they would do with it. Turns out not much. People don't watch more movies just because they can download them in seconds. We might get unlimited data, probably with an unlimited price.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I look forward to the day when speed will not be an issue, nor how much data you use. From reading about the forthcoming 5G networks, with speeds of 10 gigabytes per second, you might think that data usage would become a moot point. Maybe it will, but they will suck the money out of us one way or another. The carrier's did a study and gave a bunch of people 5G just to see what they would do with it. Turns out not much. People don't watch more movies just because they can download them in seconds. We might get unlimited data, probably with an unlimited price.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

jrobe
Explorer
Explorer
This is like asking when will we get unlimited electricity or unlimited water or unlimited natural gas. Maybe we don't even want that if we found out what that would actually cost. Maybe we aren't even entitled to anything unlimited :).

I have a T-Mobile 4G LTE un-metered biz account that doesn't get throttled. I have the SIM card installed in a wifi router w/ethernet, though could easily place it in a portable hotspot or phone.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
When will we get truly unlimited data from cell providers?

When they get some meaningful competition. As it stands, there's no reason for any of the big providers to challenge the status quo. They are huge, and hugely profitable.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

MrWizard
'dtv Now' should work with any internet connection

but i think you will find , no 'data roaming' connection while traveling thru Canada or it will be extremely expensive data

best to check with ATT about voice and data 'roaming' for your Canada transition

i think you can forget about VZW fmca mifi data roaming while in Canada
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
tinstartrvlr wrote:
With ATT.....They don't throttle my phone, only my hotspot. Irritates me no end as there is no logical reason to do that. .
You may want to switch to Verizon. For $100 you should get no throttling.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

We are trying to cut the cord with satellite. Weโ€™ve had DTV for years and the bill has got out of hand. We switched last month to DTV Now which is streaming DTV. We have a unlimited data plan with AT&T on phones and tablets also have a AT&T 250gb rural WiFi so far that have never been slowed down as we use over 150 to 200gbs a month on it. To help with coverage we recently got a FMCA Verizon unlimited MiFi, great deal as it only cost $49.99 a month. We stream DTV Now, Netflixโ€™s, and Amazon Prime and so far itโ€™s working. Dropping DTV for DTV Now save us well over $100.00 a month. Weโ€™re planning now for a long trip to Alaska this year so our satellite would have been worthless anyway. But have been advised that DTV Now will work in Canada and Alaska.

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
With ATT for 30 gigs plus 5 gig bonus (total 35, a plan no longer available) without digging up my account, I think I pay about 100 dollars for the shared data (hotspot and phone).

They don't throttle my phone, only my hotspot. Irritates me no end as there is no logical reason to do that. Because I prefer to browse the internet on the 17 inch screen of my laptop instead of the 6 inch screen of my phone, I get penalized with slower speeds after I reach their penalty limit.

Next time you see an ATT ad on tv look close at the fine print they flash at the bottom.

Last time I was in one of their stores, they tried to get me to sign up for Direct and then I would have unlimited data. Great, except the throttling clause is still there. I politely told them no.

Shame there isn't good satellite internet, or maybe there is and I just don't know about it. Satellite internet makes more sense than cell tower IMHO.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
tinstartrvlr wrote:
I pay for 30 gigs of data, but after 10 gigs, I get punished with slower speeds
Something wrong in that. I pay Verizon for 24gigs, I get 24 gigs at full speed. Mind sharing what you pay for "30 gigs" of throttled data? I bet it's a lot less than I do.

What I mean is, I get 15 Gigs of hotspot data per phone with Verizon. We have two phones. I had a jetpack that also had 15 gigs but shut it down for the off season. Probably won't reactivate since it is slower than the phones and I don't expect to have the same demand this coming year.

Jimmie2
Explorer
Explorer
I too use the AT&T Mobley plan and have yet to see any "throttling". I get to camp, plug in the Mobley device and it runs all weekend. I tell my friends to use it as well if they are around our camper. Supports 5 devices and works flawlessly so far. I actually bought a new Chromecast to replace the older one in our home and plan on using that one in the camper running off one of our phones or laptops for Netflix! It truly is $22.01 every month for "unlimited" data. ๐Ÿ™‚ Nothing fishy at all!

MrWizard
i have that $22.06 ATT Mobley car connect, special plan no longer available
so do several other members,
we got it last year when it was available

really doen't help the OP or the discussion to brig it up
because its 'not available'

special promotions to appear from time to time
just have to keep watch
when it happens you have to be ready
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
The question was,
When will we get truly unlimited data from cell providers?
And the answer is,
When you give them access to your truly unlimited checkbook.
Until then, there will be a catch in the paperwork somewhere.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds fishy to me
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
lryrob9301 wrote:
I get unlimited, non-throttled, data for $22.06 per month with AT&T.
On a mobile phone?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman