cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will mapquest do this? Or another app?

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm looking for a way to compare 3 or more specific (and non-freeway) routes between two points, for mileage, time,etc. I want to know, 'How much longer will it take if I go this way vs. that way vs. the other way?'

I want to specify the exact routes, preferably by drawing lines on the map or touching spots and having the program connect the dots, not by typing in a list of towns (some areas do not have towns.

I'm new to using MQ, and this seems like something it would do, but no luck figuring it out and their help site is unreadable on my phone. Or is there another app more suited to what I am trying to do?

Thanks for any advice 🙂
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
11 REPLIES 11

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, folks! I use google maps every day, but had no idea I could customise routes. I had just ignored the routing feature because it never showed the routes I wanted!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Explorer
Explorer
As said - Google Maps Directions which will show you alternative routes - click on each to see the differences - each is in a different color. Each will tell you the distance and driving time.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now that Google has purchased WAZE, much of that information is now reported in real time when using Google Maps.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on Google maps 🙂

However, you might also want to look at the state web sites to check for delays, closures, and weather conditions (often including traffic cameras) to make sure the route that looks best on Google maps isn't blocked or delayed.

http://www.usroadconditions.com

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
X7 (or how many ever) on Google Maps. You simply touch the and hold line ahead of the road you want to take and drag it to the road you do want to take. It has a very small learning curve and it give you time and mileage numbers. While the mileage will be accurate, the time will likely not be when you are going other than Interstate routes. It does not figure in any traffic or stop lights which can dramatically increase travel time.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Google Maps, good choice.

wingsfan20
Explorer
Explorer
Try AAA.com and produce a tri-tick for each route. If you are a member you can save all of your trips.
Jim :W
2007 Silverado 3/4 LTZ Crew Duramax/Allison
2008 Keystone Cougar 311RLS

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
I also recommend Google maps. As said above, you can "customize" your route by moving the little white dots that are along the route but be careful and make sure you have it right where you want it before releasing the mouse button or it will show both the original route and it will add the change you made but will then put you back on the original route. Just sayin' from experience. 🙂
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Google's map directions. (if you can find it on their new site):R

It shows you the best route on the actual map.
Then if you look there will be white dots on the route shown.
You can drag the dot to a different road and it will re-calculate the route. Continue moving the dots to the roads 'you' want to take.

I use this feature if all the routes they show in the directions don't include a road I want to take. Works pretty good and they then will give you the printed directions of your specific route.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with Charles but with any mapping program you can use a tabbed browser, set up your mulitple routes (in some cases you can duplicate tab then edit) then CTRL-TAB between them to compare.. or even print and compare.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

cmb
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest Google Maps. It easily shows alternate, configurable routes.
Charles