cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10 Email Program suggestions

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Thunderbird email program on several of my Windows 10 PC's.. Lately the program is not responding / halting on ALL of the Windows 10 computers. Want to switch to another program but what? Outlook? any other free email programs other than G-mail worth the time effort?
49 REPLIES 49

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
joebedford wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
joebedford wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
I also use GMX mail on my W10 device, although gmail also works fine. Try GMX; it loads very quickly and has never failed me.
What clients do you use for GMX and Gmail?

Sorry, but was is meant by "clients"?
A client is a ... well ... client. Explained by another poster right after your question.

I was going to say "It's what the OP asked about" but then I read the OP carefully and s/he said "program" and I now think s/he meant "service" not program (a client is a program).

I believe the OP was asking about an email client, not an email server/service. The OP references Thunderbird and how that program is not working correctly.

OP,

If you are still having issues with Thunderbird, you might try downloading the latest version, uninstall Thunderbird, reboot and then reinstall the latest version (68.5.0).

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
That's what had me confused, when I was asked "which client?". I would have to say the answer is www.gmx.com.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
mr. ed wrote:
joebedford wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
I also use GMX mail on my W10 device, although gmail also works fine. Try GMX; it loads very quickly and has never failed me.

A client is a ... well ... client. Explained by another poster right after your question.

I was going to say "It's what the OP asked about" but then I read the OP carefully and s/he said "program" and I now think s/he meant "service" not program (a client is a program).

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
an email client is software that allows a user to retrieve, read, compose and send e-mail. examples are Microsoft's Outlook and Mozilla's Thunderbird. those two clients can be used with just about any e-mail provider (google, yahoo, xfinity, etc). specific email providers like those mentioned will also provide a website where their email and sometimes others as well can be used to retrieve, read, compose and send e-mail. those clients are called 'webmail'.

E-Mail Client
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
mr. ed wrote:

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
mr. ed wrote:

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use Outlook (the application not webmail) for two of my gmail accounts and an account on a domain we use for our volunteer organization, yahoo webmail for the email address I'm slowly phasing out, and Outlook webmail for my hotmail account (rarely used). They all work. Take your pick.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought 3 win 10 machines, they all came with Mail, a MS program that is included in win10 for free.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
wxtoad wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Use Gmail like most of us do

Not sure that "most of us" use gmail. I've encountered problems with gmail:

- Their POP3 mail does not work as POP3 normally should work. Even when set to leave email on server, any devices fetching mail after one device has done so, will not get the email.

- When away from home, their security is so tight that it won't let me download email without jumping through all sorts of hoops.

- It limits the size of attachments.

Totally frustrating. I use Outlook on my PC and K9 mail on my mobile devices. I have a non-gmail address.

Just my experience - yours may well vary.

my experience does indeed vary, i've not experienced any of those problems with google mail. all of our G-Mail addresses are set to POP. i use Outlook on the PC and Apple's native e-mail on our phones and tablet.

google would prefer i use a "more secure app" ( read that as their G-Mail app or their online webmail) instead of Outlook or Apple's native e-mail. occasionally i have to verify that it's me downloading mail but it's really of no consequence.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using both Gmail AND Windows 10 Outlook w/o issues. I have Outlook set to leave email on server. No issues with attachments.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Use Gmail like most of us do

Not sure that "most of us" use gmail. I've encountered problems with gmail:

- Their POP3 mail does not work as POP3 normally should work. Even when set to leave email on server, any devices fetching mail after one device has done so, will not get the email.

- When away from home, their security is so tight that it won't let me download email without jumping through all sorts of hoops.

- It limits the size of attachments.

Totally frustrating. I use Outlook on my PC and K9 mail on my mobile devices. I have a non-gmail address.

Just my experience - yours may well vary.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
I was a comcast user for years and decided to move my primary email address over to gmail. The reason? If you ever have to move or find another internet service provider their goes your email address.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
DD716TED wrote:
I have been using Thunderbird email program on several of my Windows 10 PC's.. Lately the program is not responding / halting on ALL of the Windows 10 computers. Want to switch to another program but what? Outlook? any other free email programs other than G-mail worth the time effort?

use seamonkey..
its a browser and email, BUT you can use the email only AND its just like thunderbird.
I use it mail only-
its just like Thunderbird, I'm using it with Firefox currently.

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/addon/standalone-seamonkey-mail/
RVing since '74..

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
LittleBill wrote:
pnichols wrote:
DD716TED wrote:

I use Outlook all the time and have for years. I find nothing to "not like" about Outlook.

The thing I most like about Outlook is that whenever I "clean up" my emails in Outlook, the emails are merely eliminated in Outlook - but NOT ELIMINATED on my main account I can access at my email provider's website. I can go to that website to check emails that for instance, I may have erased by mistatke from the large library of Outlook email folders I normally keep on my laptop. I can also keep certain important informative emails stored for years in my account at my email provider's website with no concern for running out of space.

I hate the email app on my smartphone: Whenever I clean up emails on my smartphone THE EMAILS ARE ALSO ERASED AT MY EMAIL PROVIDER!! :M

this sounds terrible, why would u want multiple versions? if you delete a email by mistake it goes in the trash, you can recover it right from outlook.

that being said if you really want this design, change your phone app from imap to pop3 and this issue will go away, emails will delete on the phone and stay on the main email server

for the guy who said gmail doesn't support imap, it most certainly does.

"...that being said if you really want this design, change your phone app from imap to pop3 and this issue will go away, emails will delete on the phone and stay on the main email server..."

... And how do I switch between IMAP and POP3 within the native "Messages" app (that I otherwise like) on my new Android phone? I've searched extensively on the Internet regarding how to do this and so far it's a bunch of garbly-goop on how to do it in any straight-forward way (and I've been messing with computers for decades). So far the best I can tell, the "Messages" app DOES NOT permit choosing between IMAP and POP3.

I want to deal with emails on my phone the same way that Outlook does - anyway I want - while at the same time NOT affecting them on my main providers site (Earthlink Webmail).
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C