cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winegard FlatWave Amplified Razor Thin HDTV Indoor Antenna

d_eggman2
Explorer
Explorer
Just ordered one and thought I would share.

$24.99 and free shipping.

http://1sale.com/electronics/tv-home-theater/thin-hdtv-antenna/

Wasn't sure where to post this.
11 REPLIES 11

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some say good things. Some, not so much. However, as long as it is used the way it was designed to be used (not TOO far from the TV towers) it works very well. The standard antenna is good for 20-25 miles and the amplified antenna is good for 25-35 miles. The Batwing will get you 50-60 miles.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

d_eggman2
Explorer
Explorer
On the first trip I ran a scan and had 11 channels. This was as many as the roof antenna picked up. Seems like a great deal to me so far.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know of two antennas that are truly omni's but they are also short range.

RV parks tend not to be in the middle of a mess of TV transmission towers (Though there usually one nearby in much of the country) Think long enough and you will figure it out.

I would not bother with this flat job.. I have used flat antennas and they do work if you are in teh "A" band for the station, but ... Been a long time since I was in an "A" band with this RV. less I was in motion at the time.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Explorer
Explorer
The packaging claimed no need to turn or position this antenna - works in all directions. I have yet to find any antenna that claims this, to actually be able to do that. When I tried it, I knew that it was not going to work, but decided it was worth a try given whose name was on it.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Winegard specs claim this antenna is multi-directional, which means more than one direction. This antenna would have two directions, front and back.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
docj wrote:
1775 wrote:
and despite the claim that it is omni-directional, some of the channels I did get only were there when the antenna was turned in another direction -and then it lost other channels that it had before.

I'm not sure who claimed this antenna was omni-directional, but I seriously doubt it was the manufacturer, Winegard. This kind of antenna is inherently NOT omni-directional and this would be obvious to anyone who understands anything about radio wave propagation and reception.

Most people camp more than 25 miles from a television transmitter tower. I would never consider an antenna like this.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

docj
Explorer
Explorer
1775 wrote:
and despite the claim that it is omni-directional, some of the channels I did get only were there when the antenna was turned in another direction -and then it lost other channels that it had before.

I'm not sure who claimed this antenna was omni-directional, but I seriously doubt it was the manufacturer, Winegard. This kind of antenna is inherently NOT omni-directional and this would be obvious to anyone who understands anything about radio wave propagation and reception.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Explorer
Explorer
I hope that you have better luck with this exact Winegard than I had. I bought it at Costco and it went back the next day. It does get some channels but there are many local channels that it did not get - and despite the claim that it is omni-directional, some of the channels I did get only were there when the antenna was turned in another direction -and then it lost other channels that it had before.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

d_eggman2
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I would try it for the second TV just to see how it works out. Before I started splitting the roof antenna.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never had a whole lot of luck with those small foot antennas inside my trailer. We usually find ourselves out in the woods somewhere camping off the power grid.

I use the OTA BATWING and it picks up 6-36 digital stations just about anywhere we go here on the East side of the US from the local towns. Up on SKYLINE DRIVE at Loft MTN camp site we go to alot I pickup over 80 channels for different directions looking towards the VA side of the mtn. These are many duplications of channels but gives you many directions to pick the best signals from the various towns that are transmitting the NATL BROADCAST digital signals.

I did a test with using the BATWING verses the JACK antenna and the JACK antenna seemed to give me the strongest signal but was more directional. I would have to move the antenna sometimes to pick up all the local town transmitted signals that were obviously located in different parts of the local town. The BATWING is more wide beam I guess and maybe not as good signal strength wise but I still got great HDTV reception and not have to keep moving the antenna to pick up different stations form the same local town direction.

Works good for me picking up full screen full high def HDTV signals over the 'FREE' to the public NATL BROADCAST network...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
When a friend moved from their home the new residence would not have cable for 4 to 6 weeks. They are definitely TV attached. I purchased this antenna and stuck it on their window (The Sacramento Area) and found that it picked up a significant number of channels with an excellent picture. I now have the antenna stuffed away in the MH as a backup for the house or the RV.
We sometimes forget that TV used to come over the airways for free...it's still there to some extent, but it is not economic to remind us of that fact.
Happy Trails.