cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wireless networks while camping

Bellpr
Explorer
Explorer
How do you solve the Wireless computer network issue for all your wireless devices (Cell Phone, Computers, Tablets, etc) when camping? Most of the Campgrounds I have been to lately have had poor to none wireless service at the campsite. The main buildings are ok. Unless you are parked near a main buildings, you are SOL. How do you acquire Internet service and share it between your devices? Maybe you are Truly off the grid and don't....
39 REPLIES 39

Bellpr
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone found a product like HugheNet Gen4 for Home Satellite Internet Service that is portable and could be used for RVing?

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Bellpr wrote:
we've been to campgrounds where our Verizon phones did not have a signal, so I assume Verizon MiFi would be useless?

We have had issues on occasion where we could not receive a Verizon signal. When that happens we have a Wilson Sleek that we put our smart phone into and then it was able to pull in a signal. We activated the hot spot on the phone and use that signal for our laptops.

Using the Wilson sleek doesn't always result in getting a signal but it has worked over 50% of the time.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you have at least a 3g signal, you can turn you smart phone into a internet hot spot for you laptop with the download. PDAnet. I have used it for years.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
We bought Verizon Mi Fi years back and use it for ALL our wireless stuff. We bought time at a campground for wifi and it was useless. Because people bought and paid for it the thought that they could leave it up all the time and by doing so used so much bandwidth it left none for other users. Plus I got my own secure line. By using this we do not have cable at home, just the mifi and it works just fine and is fast enough for our needs.

taken
Explorer
Explorer
No signal, no worky...
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Bellpr
Explorer
Explorer
we've been to campgrounds where our Verizon phones did not have a signal, so I assume Verizon MiFi would be useless?

taken
Explorer
Explorer
To boost cell phone signal for use as a wireless hotspot, use this:

RV Cell Signal Booster

To boost campground WIFI signal use this:

WIFI Booster
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO it is not practical to rely on a CG connection. They are mostly bound up by poor signal quality, and other campers attempting to simultaneously stream live video.

We use our smartphone hotspot, and a Verizon Mifi hotspot. Obviously you'll need a decent signal, and data plan to support...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a Verizon MiFi hot-spot (but we are full-time). Speed is fine and 20GB does everything we need/want except streaming movies from NetFlix or Amazon Prime. We knew we would have to give that up when we sold the house and went full time, though.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Well, with the right cellphone and wireless carrier, you can use your smartphone as a WiFi hotspot. You might also want to look at cellphone signal boosters if you go this route.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600