Did you mean:ย 

A book for beginner

jasonofthefifth
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
I am new the proud owner of a hybrid travel
trailer

I am looking for a book to get me started, something hopefully interesting to read, but also offer me some maintenance and repair advice and help.

A book to replace the interent and to use when no on is around, Tried google and a few purchases.

I am looking for a first hand opinion of a book you would not want to leave with out.

thank you all i appreaciate your time and replies, this is the beginner section and yes i am a beginner looking for some help.
21 REPLIES 21

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
To my mind and without doubt THE best book on maintaining, repairing and installing ALL types of systems that RV's use is NIGEL CALDERS BOAT OWNERS MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL MANUAL.

While it is aimed at boats the systems are really the same in most cases except the boat systems are of (usually) higher quality. Many of the manufacturers are the same.

He goes into great detail on how to do everything you need to do and better yet how to do it properly and so it will last.

There of course are some chapters that wont be relevant but when it comes to combined AC/DC electrical systems Refrigeration, wiring and batteries he has no equal.

I actually find that most of the things the so called RV experts recommend are a bit laughable when it comes to electrics and mechanicals.

Now while he wont talk about "slide motors" specifically he does tell you in specifics how to trouble shoot anything.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
Trailer Lifes RV Maintenance Manual might come in handy.
Where does one get this?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"jasonofthefifth".....It's really difficult to produce a book that can explain the ins and outs of RVing and maintenance of systems. There are just too many types from tent trailers to Prevost buses.

My suggestion would be to first load your profile so that we can see exactly what RV you're asking questions about, for example, 2015 Jayco 25' Hybrid.

Second, find things that you want to know more about and come here and ask. There are no stupid questions and often even the simplest of things someone has found a better way to do it. Something as basic
as the best water hose can create pages of discussion, but you'll see several suggestions and then pick one that best fits your style of camping.

Just reading through the previous posts, people have already given you some good info. You can pretty much post a question day or night and get a response within 30 minutes, even at 4:00 am.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
This website Rvers Corner has a lot of helpful info for the DIY person.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I say you are over thinking things here. RV systems are not terribly complicated. At worst, electrical is THE most complex of them and just like at home, if you don't know what you are doing then leave it to the professionals. Having the knowledge to fix things is only half the equation, you need the proper tools and replacement parts to do it. I wouldn't think that you could camp anywhere so remote that you couldn't drive an RV supply and garner advice along with the parts to fix what ever broke. Relax, learn things as you go and like others have said, the campfire college is the best....and free.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is an excellent one and I also recommend you check out our Forum FAQ, especially section #2 Checklists & Procedures. I think you will get a lot of help there.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Go camping.
Before you know it you will be getting too much advice from the neighbors.
Live and learn, don't repeat your mistakes.
After your first season you'll be giving advise.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a small library worth of books covering all aspects of RV life but if you want one that covers ownership. Maintenance and the like I have two I can suggest.. Either one will do. One is a Woodalls/Good Sam's publication the other is not, and frankly that is the major difference, and no I do not know which is which.
\
The RV Book
The RV Owner's Handbook

your RV dealer should have one or the other or both Camping world of course has the Woodalls one (Since both are Affinity Group)

I found it to be good reading and a couple chapters on maintenance were better than the factory manuals. Both are written by authors who are RVers.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JoeGood988
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire College....with over 30 years of Rving...the best advice I've obtained is having a cup of coffee around a campfire and getting sound advice from seasoned campers. Backing up, leveling, The Pyramid, condensation...and the list goes on...lots of wisdom right in the park you are at.
2003 3330 Jayco Legacy

skiles
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to recommend this forum and YouTube. You can type in just about any camping topic in YouTube and find a video. I've been surprised what I've been able to find. I have also learned a lot by reading this forum. One thing I really like about the "Camping Community" is the willingness to share information. All that being said, I haven't ever looked for any books so I can't help with your original question.
2009 Outback 268rl
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to read thru threads, in the Hybrid forum here, that are about things you want to know about.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
There are no books that can cover the 100's of years of camping experience here on this forum.

salem wrote:
Your best source of information, be it RV related or any other general topic is right here on RVNet. I've never posted a question that I didn't get an answer to. The FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS section will usual cover any topic you are interested in. Good luck and Happy Camping for many years and I hope to see you as a regular contributor here. Trust me, in no time at all you will learn to appreciate people like "Old Biscuit," "Turtle-n-Peeps" and all the other members.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
when I first started out there was nothing out there. now you can find stuff on every street corner. Trailer life, woodall's, even some guys like rv education 101, Rv Dr. they all have books to sell.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Your best source of information, be it RV related or any other general topic is right here on RVNet. I've never posted a question that I didn't get an answer to. The FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS section will usual cover any topic you are interested in. Good luck and Happy Camping for many years and I hope to see you as a regular contributor here. Trust me, in no time at all you will learn to appreciate people like "Old Biscuit," "Turtle-n-Peeps" and all the other members.