Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A or C

Jeff_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
My wife and I are hoping to move to Oregon.
We will likely use the RV to live in while building on some land.
We are new to this and are Junior Seniors. (Over 50 and under 65) HaHa.
We also have quite a few pets. Ok Alot.
We have a 20 year old daughter now in University.
She is the reason for so many pets. 4 dogs and 6 cats.
I know 🙂
We are budgeted for a used one.Hopefully between 15000 and 30000.
The bigger the better. Advice?
Thanks for helping the newbies.
16 REPLIES 16

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
If you're going to park this on your land and just live in it a motorhome is a wast of money. Why buy the engine and drive train so it can just sit there?

Well in many places nowadays parking a trailer on a lot before there's a finished house there is illegal is why.

A Motorhome though is a different kettle of fish as longs as it's got a current license & insurance and is roadworthy.

A trailer of any type will more than likely have to be reigstered. Insurance is a whole new conversation and has nothing to do with it sitting. Here in the US, if you can't have a a camper there, then you probably can't have a motorhome there. And that will come into play in incorporated areas and city limits. But we don't know that information and can only assume at this point that it's a rural area with the mention of building on some land.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Jeff_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
I may just learn something here.
Thanks!
Oh and Hi to a fellow Canuck!

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
If you're going to park this on your land and just live in it a motorhome is a wast of money. Why buy the engine and drive train so it can just sit there?

Well in many places nowadays parking a trailer on a lot before there's a finished house there is illegal is why.

More evidence we don't own anything, just rent it from our Masters. But in our rural area we have a similar regulation. Can't imagine why. The code guy can't even find us.

But you can apply for a permit to do just that. Ten years ago the guy with the property across the road was allowed to live in their camper while they built their stick house. Basically, they just want your $$.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
KD4UPL wrote:

A Motorhome though is a different kettle of fish as longs as it's got a current license & insurance and is roadworthy.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Either way, fiver or TT, if it were me and all those pets it would be a toy hauler. That way you have somewhere to crate the dogs and cats if needed so they don't tear the RV up when your gone. Our two dogs get crated whenever we leave. Love them to death but they aren't tearing up our RV or sticks & bricks either.

If that doesn't matter to you then whatever makes you happy. The fiver probably for the room and storage.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that you should look at getting a fifth wheel. Have someone take it to your land and you do not have to purchase the truck to pull it. You will get more living space for the money you want to spend and you do not have to worry about maintaining the engine, etc.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
The nice thing about TT's or 5er's is you don't have that extra engine, trans, and drive train to service. Also, insurance and license are much less expensive. As soon as we find the right rig and a deal we can live with our MH is going away.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Look at a big travel trailer. You can have it delivered if you don't have the proper tow vehicle. If you are not worried about reselling it later, look at "park models" -- they are essentially houses on wheels. A park model may be more difficult to resell, as it is really designed to be towed only once (yes, you can tow them more than once) and setup at a permanent spot.

Park model could serve as a very nice "guest house" when you are done building.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
A trailer would make much more sense and cost a lot less. You could even look at park model trailers that often have large sliding glass doors, bay windows, etc.

Jeff_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for all the input.
Glad I joined you all.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
If you're not going to travel in it, maybe a TT or 5th wheel would be more comfortable for living while you build?

Exactly what I was thinking...can get a brand new one in that price range or an even better used model.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
If you're not going to travel in it, maybe a TT or 5th wheel would be more comfortable for living while you build?
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

orlandimal
Explorer
Explorer
for that many pets, an A definately
2008 Silverado 2500HD, Z71 off-road, Z85 towing
2005 Keystone Hornet 245RKS 5th Wheel

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you'll more readily find a class C in your price range than a Class A, not that a good deal on an A can't be found, but for that price, you'll probably end up with something pretty old, that may need work.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund