cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on long-term plan

RVTravel
Explorer
Explorer
- I am very unfamiliar with RVs. Never spent a night in one.
- Never spent a night in a campground.
- Have done some tent camping in my youth.
- I am very active and in good shape for physical activities.
- As owner of Conversion vans, I am familiar with vans (like E-series vans for example.)
- Have driven large box trucks (moving or commercial) a few times.
- I am handy with Mechanical, Electrical, and Electronic repairs / upgrades on vehicles.
- Can do some plumbing and electrical for my home, but I do shine in demolition / wrecking things.

In a few / several years I plan to go into early-retirement, and so far think that 6-months at home, and 6-months traveling US + Canada is what I will like to do.

Regarding staying at home -- I want to either buy another home in cool / mountainous region to spend summers, and travel in the winter, or buy a home in Florida / Arizona for the winter, and travel in the summer.

As born, raised, and long-time resident in NYC, I will want to get away from traffic, congestion and people. I also dislike hot + humid.

So I am leaning stay home somewhere cool and fresh in the Summer, and travel in the winter (Nov-April) out West and South.

Currently live in Manhattan with wife and kids, and it has been excellent training how to live in a "cubicle."

50% chance wife will be with me when I travel -- she don't like RVs. Kids will be out of the house by then.

I think I will like to travel place-to-place, stay 3-4 nights in one place, and bike, hike, run, kayak in the area. So the RV will be like a base camp, and I will want a smaller vehicle to run around. Either MH + toad, or SUV + small-to-medium TT.

When I travel, I think I will stay in a combination of places -- CGs, truck rests, boondocking.

I know I have plenty of time to try out RVs in the next few years, but I would like to start planning now for my future home. Maybe buy this home in a year or two.

This is what I am thinking now, so please tell me when I am wrong, or bring something up that I didn't.
48 REPLIES 48

RVTravel
Explorer
Explorer
RVcircus wrote:
Looks like you're living the dream;) Thanks for the update...it sounds like you're having a great time.

Thank you. Stayed at Locust Lake State Park in PA a couple of weeks ago. That was the first PA park I've ever stayed at. Nice park.

RVTravel
Explorer
Explorer
tonyandkaren wrote:
Thanks for the update! It's always nice to see how things have worked out.

Thank you. Most of I learn is really coming from reading here. I will be working for at least 13-15 years, until my youngest graduates college, but exploring -- it is a lifestyle I can have now.

RVTravel
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
Sounds like you are enjoying the life:).
Seems your teen is being "typical"; they start to drift a bit from the 'rents' lifestyle in this time frame. I'm very happy having that phase behind me.

I know LOL. Sometimes I try to "bribe" her. Let's go x place -- I'll give you X for clothes shopping. Plus "wine and dine" etc. She is a lot of fun and help to have around, and I only have her for less than a year, before she goes to College.

NYCgrrl wrote:
Listen, your pics in the next post are not formatted properly so can't be seen. This site is a little different than others for posting pictures and vids so try doing a preview before hitting the "Post Message" button.

I will try to fix the photos in that post. Otherwise I'll provide a link to the Album.

NYCgrrl wrote:
What type of RV are you inclined toward now? Every once in a while I drift into salivating over a class C or two but my heart still belongs to a Canadian TT, LOL.

I looked at Class Bs, but I think I need something a little wider. So definitely looking at Class C, and even short As (not more than 27 foot). I looked at the Canadian TTs you linked to. I like them a lot. I do like Trailmanors as well.

However, since I anticipate most travel to be long distance, and with kid(s), I think a motorized RV might be better traveler than a TT. Thirdly, in very isolated cases I may bring the RV into the City for an overnight or so, and a 24-27 foot would be more manageable than TV + TT.

I want to buy one before next summer. Budget? We'll see after "Santa comes to town."

IND_navyvet
Explorer
Explorer
deleted

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like you're living the dream;) Thanks for the update...it sounds like you're having a great time.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update! It's always nice to see how things have worked out.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
RVTravel wrote:
I wanted to provide an update. Since 12 months ago, I have been to a few RV shows, rented a 27-foot C, been to a few campgrounds. 2 weeks ago also spent a day at Hershey RV show. Wife likes camping too, although she would like to mix-and-match, RV, camping, hotels, cousins.

17-year old DD is going to college next year. She likes it, but has become a PIA about scheduling things. Has cut a couple of trips short because she had to go back to her friends!! She has promised not to repeat it. When she's around, she is a great help, with set up, navigation, fetching things. This weekend she is taking her boyfriend with us camping, and gave him hell why he will cut his trip short.

Daughter 2 (almost 9 years old) loves RVing to no end. Bunk bed was an instant hit. This kid wanted to stay at the RV show, rather than go next door to Hershey Park. She even knows the RV types. She says when she becomes famous, she will pay me $ 100 to drive her around in a $ 500k Class A.

I took a quick trip (17 days) by myself in August, from NYC to WY, Montana, Idaho, Utah, and Colorado, while wife and kids went to in-laws for the upteenth time. Did about 7000 miles, mainly camping 2 nights at a time. Loved, loved it. Had plenty of adventure and exercise, even lost a few pounds.

Made friends too. I found that being many hours alone driving made me more social when I stopped for fuel, food.

Sounds like you are enjoying the life:).
Seems your teen is being "typical"; they start to drift a bit from the 'rents' lifestyle in this time frame. I'm very happy having that phase behind me.

Listen, your pics in the next post are not formatted properly so can't be seen. This site is a little different than others for posting pictures and vids so try doing a preview before hitting the "Post Message" button.

What type of RV are you inclined toward now? Every once in a while I drift into salivating over a class C or two but my heart still belongs to a Canadian TT, LOL.

RVTravel
Explorer
Explorer

RVTravel
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to provide an update. Since 12 months ago, I have been to a few RV shows, rented a 27-foot C, been to a few campgrounds. 2 weeks ago also spent a day at Hershey RV show. Wife likes camping too, although she would like to mix-and-match, RV, camping, hotels, cousins.

17-year old DD is going to college next year. She likes it, but has become a PIA about scheduling things. Has cut a couple of trips short because she had to go back to her friends!! She has promised not to repeat it. When she's around, she is a great help, with set up, navigation, fetching things. This weekend she is taking her boyfriend with us camping, and gave him hell why he will cut his trip short.

Daughter 2 (almost 9 years old) loves RVing to no end. Bunk bed was an instant hit. This kid wanted to stay at the RV show, rather than go next door to Hershey Park. She even knows the RV types. She says when she becomes famous, she will pay me $ 100 to drive her around in a $ 500k Class A.

I took a quick trip (17 days) by myself in August, from NYC to WY, Montana, Idaho, Utah, and Colorado, while wife and kids went to in-laws for the upteenth time. Did about 7000 miles, mainly camping 2 nights at a time. Loved, loved it. Had plenty of adventure and exercise, even lost a few pounds.

Made friends too. I found that being many hours alone driving made me more social when I stopped for fuel, food.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
RVTravel wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:
As far as rallies and RV shows......closest RV show I'm aware of will be in Herkimer or Rockland county in another month or so. A Jersey friend attends regularly so I'll ask her for the exact date and locale if you want. Closest rallies are prolly in LI. I don't currently have wheels past ZipCar so don't bother attending and do my research via the 'net.

I did some checking for rallies. The next one in the Tristate is in Atlantic City for Halloween weekend. Next one is in Allentown, PA around Jan 10/15, and Rockland SUNY for Valentine's Weekend in 2015.

Mystic CT has one in May 13-16, 2015 for A-Liner, which I would like to check out to talk to those owners.

Where do you store your TT?

I don't own my TT yet. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I have been a tent camper across the decades and therefore know quite a few metro area RV owners and NE SPs.

Like yourself I'm a longterm planner looking at all the possibilities, LOL. I'll be storing indoors in either Westchester county or at a storage place off the NJT line.

I considered the Aliner at one point but decided the layout didn't seem to work well for the 2 of us. The Roadtrek is a total beauty but the price and normal rate of depreciation gives me pause. As well the heat pump/AC unit as opposed to a furnace and A/C seem disadvantageous for cold weather camping.

I worried about finding a knowledgeable mechanic for the Scamp and Casita lines on the East coast. Don't anticipate any problems yet looking ahead is just who I am.

All my personal wants and needs have left me with 3 lines to date: R-Pod, T@B and Safari Condo. Each of their TTs will fit well in this urban environment with no need for a pickup truck which doesn't. Should I "lose it" and decide to opt for a Class B ... at least 2 of the companies offer vans worthy of drool, LOL.

I do not plan to keep any RV longer than 2 years so that is very much a part of my deliberations.

RVTravel
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the advice. I can see the security and convenience of MH.

A MH with a small 4wd toad could do. I see people on these forums that use MHs as home-bases, but can go much further offroad with their toads.

That is something longer term for me, since I would need to get two other vehicles, and totally turn over my current stable.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
One thing if you go with a MH of some type, you may feel more secure. Traveling alone is the reason I plan to go to a MH when I am able to travel more extensively in the next few years. It is really nice to pull to side of road, go to back and take care of personal business, then get a snack or drink without having to unlock and go outside. This is especially nice in unknown locations, when the weather is bad or it is dark. You can even go take a nap without getting out (or connecting anything as you can use generator to run heat/air if needed). I have long debated the two engine/transmission issue, but also decided that having the toad with the ability to get away is also actually an added security advantage. Miles and miles from family, it is nice to know you can go if you need to, even if you do have major engine/transmission failure. You might mention this to your wife, as she may feel more comfortable in a MH. In traveling with my parents in their MH, it really was nice to stop and go to the bathroom without having to worry about what was outside or what yucky bathroom, I might face if I stopped at a truck stop or rest area.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

RVTravel
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
Based on your description I would take a look at the Class B motorhomes. They are great for a single person or even most couples. They are easy to drive and you can park them anywhere a van can park.

Some have slide-outs which makes for more living space but these increase weight and may reduce storage space. Layouts vary widely and some manufacturers will allow you to customize some aspects of the interior.

The best of the best in the non-slide out B motorhomes are the Roadtrek with the Sprinter chassis and using the 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel engine. A couple I know that have been traveling around the USA full time for the past several years have averaged over 25 MPG with theirs and they have a special rack in the rear that carries a large motorcycle. These RV's have more than 40 cubic feet of outside storage which is a lot for a single person or a couple.

Itasca Navion is a slide-out class B that uses the Mercedes van chassis and engine and would be worth taking a look at as well. With some RV's there is limited access to the fridge and or the bathroom while the slide is in and I personally would avoid one where this was the case.

These class B motorhomes sell for around $130,000 when new but I have seen used ones for sale that had very low use and miles and were 2-3 years old that were priced at $80,000. I would rather save $50,000 and use it for other purposes. One can save $15,000 buying a new 2014 model instead of the 2015 model with the Itasca's.

Check out rvtrader.com as you can select by RV type and find new ones or used ones that are for sale in your area.

Something often overlooked is that the longer the RV the less likely that you will be able to pull off the highway to check out the view or to get into a parking lot at a grocery store or even at a national park attraction, and there will be far fewer campsites into which you can fit at state and national campgrounds.

Thank you for the advice. Roadtreks have peaked my interest, and may check a few out in the RV rallies coming up. I seriously doubt I will want to spend the money though.

I said earlier $ 20k to try out -- even that now seems too much for a try-out.

As I am learning more, since I want to do hiking / camping in remote areas out-west, -- it sounds like an off-road TV pulling a TT, might be more suitable than a Roadtrek.

My '14 Pathfinder is not an off-road TV, but for the next 2-3 years until this Lease runs out, I might stretch its legs with some very limited trips to the back-country.

My thoughts are of course theoretical. I will be renting some Cs first.