Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchasing a Travel Trailer

er78mph
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to all and thanks in advance!

I was wondering if I should enter a dealership and buying a used or new TT? I know in a perfect world I would buy from a private seller but this may not be an option. I would appreciate feedback from experiences from buying from a dealers or private sellers. Could I possibly get a decent deal from buying a used TT at a dealership? Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Take your time. Don't be in a hurry to buy anything. Look at everything that interests you, new and used. Go to dealer lots an RV Shows.

Then, decide what is best for you.
And, ask lots of questions before you make a purchase.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to buy new or used, do your homework and know what you are getting and what you should pay for it. There are many options on new trailers and those options add up or simply are not worth what the dealer charges for them.

I don't buy into the saying that if you are a first time buyer, you should by used. I'll occasionally look on Craig's List and see older models of the same TT I have listed at prices higher that I paid for mine new. We chose to buy new because while I am mechanically inclined, TT's were new to me and I wanted the peace of mind of the factory warranty (although our Jayco has never had an issue in over 2 years).

As others have stated, if you find a used model you like, have an independent mechanic or friend that is RV knowledgeable look over the unit. Finding a reputable dealer that will stand behind their sale is a must.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The first question should be `what do I want the camper to do for us' per the following:
To help you decide on what RV to buy you could go to www.rvknowhow.com and read Joe and Vickiโ€™s suggestions and/or download their e-book `RV Buyers Homeworkโ€™, which walks you through the process of choosing the best RV for your needs, selecting the right floor plans and features, determining the RVโ€™s cargo-carrying and towing capacities and evaluating its livability. (Nov-Dec Highways, pg. 21)
RVtravel.com and the Better Business Bureau have a DVD that covers the same subject
(http://rvbookstore.com/shop/detail.aspx?p=710&m=2) and Chuck Woodbury has an ebook with similar advice.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would only buy a new trailer from a reputable dealer.

I am on my third one in 20 years as I upgraded each time

jack L
Jack & Nanci

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy what you like. Buying from a PP or dealer is kind of immaterial to me. Sometimes you can get great deals from private parties. But often times they think their stuff is worth way more than it actually is. As a first timer, definitely buy used.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
that question is so LOADED.

its like a used car... or a used house...

can you believe the seller.. dealer or person selling in a yard...

I purchased a used trailer from a dealer 2 months ago.. got a 30 day warranty. and needed it. and I am a retied auto mechanic..
without lots of travel trailer skill and experience. call a RV inspector.