cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to decide which RV

gattorgetter
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to get back in rv world. I haven'the been around them in 15 plus years, and I am trying to figure out what would suit me best. Maybe you guys can help.

Most uses would be for fish camp. (All seasons)stored here 80% of time. Would be nice to haul polaris ranger with track and some ice fishing gear. Figured 2500 lbs max of fishing gear system included. Summer fish camp just weekend gear.
Deer camp in fall/winter
Used when at BBQ comps various times of year.would like to haul smoker'so inside
Few trips here and there.

I am leaning more towards 5th wheel toyhauler.

I currently have a half ton truck, I understand that I will need a new truck. Trying to stay 2500 gmc. I will more than likely have two truck'so going to same location.

Any options as far as rv'so go that I am missing
10 REPLIES 10

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Look up the specs for the truck you are considering or better yet, go look at the sticker on the truck and input it here.

5th wheel calculator
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The tow ratings are not usually attainable when it comes to RVing without exceeding some other rating. A 3/4 ton gasser with 10k tow rating and 3k payload, sure go to 10k loaded 5th wheel. But a 3/4 ton diesel with 2200 pounds of payload and 15k tow rating will usually exceed GVWR with the same 10k 5th wheel. So while the absolute and perceived acceleration of the diesel will be better, the handling may not be as comfortable as the slower gasser spinning at 2x the engine speed.

Now if you wanted to tow a boat, then tow ratings have more impact on what you can really tow without exceeding any manufacturer ratings, such as axle, receiver, GVWR, etc.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

gattorgetter
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. This is all new to me

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
gattorgetter wrote:
APT wrote:
3/4 tons run out of payload quickly with 5th wheel RVs, and more so with a TH and more so with a diesel than gasser. Should you choose a 5th wheel, then I highly recommend the single rear wheel 1-ton minimum. For a TT, most 3/4 tons are good enough for a bed full of stuff, family, and lots of gear. Except if you want a big toy in the bed too, like SxS or golf cart.

After looking at the gmc trailering guide diesel seems to out rate gasser by far. Even saw a rating for same body engine Trans gassers and the drw hauled a few hundred less than srw.

You are probably looking at the towing capacity. That is not normally the limiting factor for a tow vehicle. Cargo capacity is usually where a tow vehicle becomes limited fast. The tongue weight of the RV is part of the cargo of the truck. A 5th wheel puts a lot more weight on the truck than a comparable TT.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

gattorgetter
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
3/4 tons run out of payload quickly with 5th wheel RVs, and more so with a TH and more so with a diesel than gasser. Should you choose a 5th wheel, then I highly recommend the single rear wheel 1-ton minimum. For a TT, most 3/4 tons are good enough for a bed full of stuff, family, and lots of gear. Except if you want a big toy in the bed too, like SxS or golf cart.

After looking at the gmc trailering guide diesel seems to out rate gasser by far. Even saw a rating for same body engine Trans gassers and the drw hauled a few hundred less than srw.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
To help you decide on what RV to buy you could go to www.rvknowhow.com and read Joe and Vicki’s suggestions and/or download their e-book `RV Buyers Homework’, which walks you through the process of choosing the best RV for your needs, selecting the right floor plans and features, determining the RV’s cargo-carrying and towing capacities and evaluating its livability. (Nov-Dec Highways, pg. 21)
RVtravel.com and the Better Business Bureau have a DVD that covers the same subject
(http://rvbookstore.com/shop/detail.aspx?p=710&m=2) and Chuck Woodbury has an ebook with similar advice.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
TT would be a better option. Fewer steps, truck bed open for more stuff, can tow more TT than you can a fiver with 2500 series truck.

x2
the only advantage of a 5er is for towing which you don't plan on doing much of.
bumpy

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd look at some bumper pull toy haulers if you're trying to stick with a 3/4 ton truck. There are some pretty cool floor plans out there, but they won't even come close to the features and room of a 5th wheel toy hauler.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
TT would be a better option. Fewer steps, truck bed open for more stuff, can tow more TT than you can a fiver with 2500 series truck.