Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Am I completely crazy?

LimaVictor
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some advice...

But first, a little background information.

My wife and I have been married 10 years, are in our early 30's, and just had our first baby in August. We have 3 medium sized dogs, are all relatively active, and we have SOME experience living on boats/MH's/small spaces for short periods of time (usually two weeks or less) at a time.

We currently live in Texas, where I work a 7 day on/7 day off schedule as a pilot. My wife has always worked full time as well, but has taken her full maternity leave with the baby, and it's got us thinking...

We have some equity in our house, or could reasonably expect to rent it at or above our current cost (mortgage/insurance) and have started bouncing around the idea of living on the road for a while until our boy is old enough for school.

We're thinking, with my income, and maybe some supplemental income if she works part time during the days I'm on shift, we could utilize the week on/week off schedule to travel during my off weeks and live in a MH full time (maybe for a year at first, then see how things are going after that).

We fell in love with the Forest River Forester (25 ft on the Mercedes Sprinter chasis) at a recent show, but have been looking at other class C MH's (and a few sub 35 ft class A's) due to the fact that we have 3 dogs and a baby.

The real question, I guess, is are we completely crazy for considering living full time in a sub 35ft MH with 3 dogs and a baby (assuming we didn't actually set off until he's closer to a year old).

I estimate we'd be looking at covering 30,000 miles or so in a year, given that we'd have to start and end each week long trip in Texas for my work schedule, and working with a budget around $3,500 a month.

I figure we could finance (or pay cash if we sell the house rather than rent) a reasonable MH for $500 - $600 a month, and our living expenses are relatively minimal (food, personal, etc). But to get anywhere we'd want to go (Colorado, New Mexico, Arkansas) without blowing our budget on fuel alone, we'd need something with decent fuel efficiency, and while we'd like to stay self sufficient a large part of the time, I realize we'd probably want the amenities of some nicer parks along the way as well.

Long question, I know, and I'm sorry, but I want to know if the reality of our dreaming is unrealistic, or if we could reasonably expect to afford, and more importantly enjoy, a year of life in a 35ft (or less) MH (minnie winnie/via) with 3 dogs and a baby on a $3500 a month budget?

Remember, we'd be in Texas every other week for my work, which would mean we'd basically be going on week long outings every other week, usually to places 300-800 miles away. There is potential for more income beyond $3500, but I'm using that budget to allow for some extra $ left over for unexpected expenses, etc.

Appreciate any advice or input you can throw our way, and don't hold back from the hard truths and realities.

Thanks in advance,

Crazy(?)
40 REPLIES 40

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Pack up the family for a week or less trip in a motorhome...YES!!!! Crazy to do this full time in a smaller motorhome....YES!!!!!!

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Do not sell the house, purchase a good sized A class unit, used of course then try living in it close buy, try a park Travellers World in San Antonio as an example, 3 dogs, a baby, and the wife kooped up in a small space can lead to her developing a severe case of cabin fever.

Unless you two get along real well in small spaces, the baby will not mind, the dogs will not mind, yes it is very romantic until cooking, diaper change, dogs being dogs can drive her nuts plus the grey water tank backed up in the shower pan and the black tank is full and perfuming the space, but give it a try, ya all will like it or ya all will hate it.

navegator

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I can't say if you are crazy or not, but when your child hits school age you can always home school if that lifestyle is working out for you. Just keep in mind it's important that kids have friends.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Financially, I don't think so.

That motor home would more than likely get about 8 mpg. So at $3/gal doing 30,000 miles/year = approx $930/month for fuel. Unless you are paying monthly in a RV park you will be paying around $50/night (pay per day vs monthly). Add the $600/month loan payment to the above and there is not much cash left for food, motor home insurance, vehicle upkeep etc etc.

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer
You have provided sufficient information for me to answer your question - YES!!
I have been 'camping' for more years than I care to admit - from a pup tent in Boy Scouts to a lovely Class "A" which is our present rig.

You, Wife and baby in a rig - perhaps - add the fur babies - NO WAY!

I expect you are happy together now - just seriously think about all of you 'living' together in a very small space for weeks / months. OK - if you think it is a good idea, then go for it, but at least you asked and I provided my personal opinion - and it is worth what it cost you - NADA.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some things to consider.

Three dogs, two adults, and a child in a motor home might be a bit crowded. In a smallish Class C, you are REALLY going to be crowded. Dogs are 'relatively active' and could make things interesting.

When you get home from flying after 7 days, do you really want to immediately hit the road for another 7, driving, stopping, driving again, flying, driving stopping driving... do you really think you could sustain that over a lengthy period of time?

800 mile drive is a two day affair, unless you really bust your butt on the road. Lets assume you do the 800 (worse case) in a day heading out to wherever. Given that you are a pilot, I assume you have a crew rest requirement the day prior to your next flight. So, you certainly wouldn't be able to do 800 on the return leg... So, lets say 1 day out, 2 days back, and probably a preference for a day of rest before you fly. So, you're down to 3-4 days.. maybe more if you stick closer. But, I think you get the point.

I'll give you the same recommendation some of us in the forum recommended to someone else looking to straight from a brick and mortar house to full time. Rent an RV and give it a shot for a few 'rounds' of your schedule. See if you think it's doeable before you sell the house and buy the rv.

Just thoughts...

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Something else to consider. Some RV parks have a limit on the number and breed of dogs allowed.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Yes

_Sea_Of_No_Care
Explorer
Explorer
YES!!
Dave and Gail
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ
400 h.p. Cummins, Roadmaster Chassis
2006 Jeep Wrangler TOAD

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at the representative sample of the RV parks you want to stay at and look at the nightly rate. Some may have a weekly rate you can take advantage of. Then determine how far you will go each week and calculate the fuel costs. Put aside money for maintenance. Then look at how much you are currently paying for food, clothing, etc. Look at your data plan on your phone and see if you have enough if you are on the road. You also did not state if you have the money to purchase the RV without getting a loan.

After you have done that, you can decide if you can afford it. If you can, then I would definitely go for it. This could be a wonderful adventure for you and your family.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

busb2
Explorer
Explorer
YES!
Country Coach Prevost, and Airstream Interstate B