Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Attaching dump hose to dump hole?

Kyte
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here..

I have yet to have my first experience dumping. My main concern is after putting the step connector into the dump hole, do I need to put something on it so it doesn't come out of the hole or will it stay in by its self. I would think that once you pull the handle there's a lot of water pressure coming down that tube.

Any foresight would be helpful..

Thanks
Kyte in NW PA
28 REPLIES 28

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a lot of people using their foot or even their wife to hold the hose in. What happens in the evening when it's time for dinner or bed...what do you do with your foot?:R

"Executive" and a couple of others gave you the best advice. Not having some type of elbow on the hose, with a positive connection at the drain, is one of the biggest reasons for the hose to pop out.

You only really need a couple of pieces to meet every camping need. One is the stepped threaded connector and the rubber donut. Use a system where the hose elbow securely fits to stepped threaded connector and you're good to go. No threads on the drain, use the rubber donut.

We live out west and as messed up as California is, they aren't requiring all RV parks to have a positive connection and hose off of the ground as some states do, but you better be prepared for it if you're travelling to other states from your home state.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

gonefishin77
Explorer
Explorer
Same as dcmac, gets lots of comments from fellow campers: Sewie Pig

Spappy
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forums! and congrats on being a new camper.

Since you are new, maybe you can learn from my mistake. As folks have said, usually your foot is the best way to hold down the connector. On my first visit to the dump station after our first weekend camping, I wore flip flops for the trip home. :S I learned real quick that shoes are the only thing you should be wearing when dumping. It's not that the hose popped up, but the area can get wet and you never know what you are walking in or around. It was just a bad idea. lol
Spap

az350x
Explorer
Explorer
lap527 wrote:
That is my job...after DH secures everything then I put foot on cap at end of sewer hose so the hose stays secure. Not fun but I contribute!

If you don't already have a wife, don't go out and get one just for this reason- it's by FAR the most expensive solution listed so far. Trust me. ๐Ÿ™‚
Pack out MORE than you packed in!!

2001 Ford F350 Crew cab short bed 4x4 Powerstroke
2013 Forest River Surveyor SV305

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
SewiePig!

rode2nowhere
Explorer
Explorer
About every time I have dumped there has been a rock already there,,,,,universal weight

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Harvey51 wrote:
The trouble with the elbow on the end is that it won't fit into the slinky storage pipe. I guess you take it off for stowing? Does that wire clamp loosen/tighten conveniently? I have been putting the slinky is foot or two into the drain pipe. On two occasions the slinky slipped the clamp on the RV end and slunk down the drain. A wire with a hook bent on the end or a branch with a small branch sticking out works to recover the slinky.

NOPE mine fits just fine in my 5" fence post bumper ... It also fit in a 4" fence post pipe that I had before my current setup so the one I use will fit in the smaller storage pipes. In fact if you use the 5" fence post pipe you can even store the threaded step down fitting too. For the yellow fitting you just rotate it so it's in the angle portion of the storage pipe and then it fits just fine even in the 4" size pipe.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I usually ask my wife to put her foot on it while I open the valve. Besides keeping it in the hole, it makes her feel important. :B
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I Have connected three different types of hose to 3 different typs of holes in the ground and will thus comment:

The hose like pictured above (Threaded coupling) if used with a threaded sewer inlet works well but the joint between the elbow and the threaded adapter.. not so well in my expierence.. Likewise there is a smooth (not threaded) Stepped adapter you use with the sewer donut, same complaint, the joint between the adapter and the elbow is a problem

I've used the Tethford Smart hose.. the joint between the elbow and the adapter has a self locking feature that seems to work rather well (Amazingly enough).

I got a couple of hose buddies http://www.hosebuddy.com/ and they work well (used to have 2, lost one). and are easy to carry around.

Oh the third kind of hole in the ground is the one with the brass flip cover.. Those generally LOCK ONTO the elbow (if it has a male hose fitting on it, plugged) and work very well. But I find that one mostly at dump stations not campsites.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
The trouble with the elbow on the end is that it won't fit into the slinky storage pipe. I guess you take it off for stowing? Does that wire clamp loosen/tighten conveniently? I have been putting the slinky is foot or two into the drain pipe. On two occasions the slinky slipped the clamp on the RV end and slunk down the drain. A wire with a hook bent on the end or a branch with a small branch sticking out works to recover the slinky.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the following available at WM by Camco called "Easy Slip" and I made an extension for the connector on the sewer hose out of one of the threaded step fittings by cutting off the threads so I can put the hose into sewers that don't have the threaded connection so the hose goes down into the sewer pipe further and use a sewer dounut for a gas tight fitting.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

afraid_of_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
I do a quick test with the grey water to test the connection(s), and then dump the black if everything is OK.

x2

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
And...If a hose clamp holds your flexy hose onto the fitting, make sure
that it is "really" tight! (Don't ask me how I know this)

Brian

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most states require the sewer connection to be secure...i.e. using a threaded connection or a sewer donut. Some cities/states require the sewer hose to be supported and/or off the ground. This applies to campground site hookups.

At the dump station use your foot, a rock or the attached sewer cap.

If you're still in doubt, watch the movie RV...they have a very detailed tutorial on dumping the black tank....you can get yourself a "Y" connector at WalMart....:B....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG