cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic propane alarm question

path1
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27607053/gotomsg/27607068.cfm#27607068 This thread is about 2 people dying in RV and didn't want to ask this question in the posting.

When should a propane alarm come on?

We had a scare couple years ago. Came back from somewhere, opened RV door and propane smell was very strong. Propane alarm was not going off. Long story short, stove knob got turned on probably when I left flinging on my jacket on is our best guess.

Here is my question(s) if anybody knows. When should alarm go off?

When levels are reached that are dangerous? Or before (I would hope).

Is there any alarms that you can set too how sensitive you would like them to be?

Thanks
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
14 REPLIES 14

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Always camp with a woman. Women are able to smell the odorant (methyl mercaptan) in smaller concentrations than men.

LOL you made me choke on my water...
Chris (KD7WZW)
2003 Tiffin Allegro Bus M-32IP

Ole_Man_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
I had a propane alarm go bad. It was located over our bed.

I disconnected it, bought another on Amazon and re-connected.
No more alarms in the middle of the night.

FYI: Putting a throw rug in your RV that has a glue type backing will
set your alarm off too.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that combo units aren't the best, but RV manufacturers use them and mine is mounted on a wall down close to the floor. This location isn't the best, but it is there so I'm going to use it and keep it current and working. But I also have a battery operated CO detector in the bedroom.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Always camp with a woman. Women are able to smell the odorant (methyl mercaptan) in smaller concentrations than men.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
A previous post stated that CO detectors and Propane detectors aren't the same. I agree, but there are combo units. Take a look at SAFE-T-ALERT Model 35-742.

This unit specifically states on the front panel to "Replace By: 60 Months After Retail Sale". It seems they are claiming 5 year service life.

I don't think a combo unit would be the best for a RV.
LP detectors are mounted down at floor level because propane is heaver then air.

CO detectors are mounted around 5' up from the floor to work their best.
Where are the combo units mounted?
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I thought all the stoves were the same, My knobs are not possible to turn until you push in & turn at the same time. Not really possible to "accidently" turn on.
Also, if your alarm is going off & there is no gas odor, be aware that hair spray & some other sprays will set it off. I thank my Grand Daughter for proving that. 😉

Remember, since CFC (freon) was outlawed, many spray cans use propane for the propellant! When you use a spray can of any kind in your RV, you are actually spraying propane into the air. The propane in the can probably does not have any odorant (mercaptan) in it. Especially if it is air freshener or deodorant!
That's why many spray cans make excellent flame throwers.

Seems to me the propane alarm should go off, and shut off the propane (if so equipped) long before the fuel/air mixture becomes explosive. IMO, it would be pretty useless otherwise!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
A previous post stated that CO detectors and Propane detectors aren't the same. I agree, but there are combo units. Take a look at SAFE-T-ALERT Model 35-742.

This unit specifically states on the front panel to "Replace By: 60 Months After Retail Sale". It seems they are claiming 5 year service life.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
Fulltime since 2010

Explorer
Explorer
The propane alarm may come on if you spray an aerosol can nearby. It will stop right away once you stop spraying. Also the CO detector or the Propane alarm may sound when the furnace is started after sitting without use for a while. If it does, shut off the furnace, open windows and doors and let the inside air out. Leave a window open and start the furnace again. Once this happens once, it should not happen again until after another long non-use of the furnace. This is from dust, etc. burning off and it also gives an odor (but does not smell like propane).

Test your propane detector with a gas cigarette lighter without lighting the flame.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe it's just me, but I thought all the stoves were the same, My knobs are not possible to turn until you push in & turn at the same time. Not really possible to "accidently" turn on.
Also, if your alarm is going off & there is no gas odor, be aware that hair spray & some other sprays will set it off. I thank my Grand Daughter for proving that. 😉
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
True story: Woman had strong odor of Propane. was calling for repair tec when I visited her rig, The knobs OFF OFF LOW OFF were a clue as to the source of the "leak" reset them to OFF OFF OFF OFF and the smell ... dissipated and disappeared.

#1 Source of propane leak

I do not think her alarm went off..

Alarms need to be replaced from time to time, not sure how long the time is but 10 years tops. might be half that.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Propane detector not the same as a CO detector those dead people needed to warn them of a problem.

Propane detectors are mounted down close to the floor. CO up higher on the wall.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with built in detectors is less than even fair. My original built in Propane/CO detector failed after 2 1/2 years. I full time so it was working the whole time. Fortunately it started going off at 3:00am a couple of days in row. I replaced it with a new one and I also have a separate battery operated unit in the bedroom.

After I replaced the built in unit I took the old unit, hooked it up to a battery and exposed it to propane. It did not work. Remember it was 2 1/2 years old from the date of manufacture.
Ed
KM4STL

Fulltime since 2010

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
You should smell the odorant in propane long before it becomes an issue... the alarm won't go off until there is a much higher concentration so it could be okay but wise to check.

Often times your friendly neighborhood fire department will have the gear to test everything out for you (a second known good detector and test gas)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
How they work........LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31