cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before you pull out, need a ready-to-go checklist

Marcia2GO
Explorer
Explorer
sorry it not a new topic but haven't found such a list yet. I will be picking up the new motorhome today, going on my first trip next week. Never having done any of these things and still trying to understand the terminology so need to be sure I don't miss anything important (that I likely won't even recognize I missed.
Much thanks, lot of anxiety right now. Just driving the thing is scary enough. BUT I will get over it and will learn to do right.
13 REPLIES 13

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
C-Bears wrote:
... and don't have conversations with neighbors while doing it.

This is important. It's something pilots do when pre-flighting a plane. If someone interrupts you, you need to go back to the beginning.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a small box of wooden cloths pins, the kind with springs. I write my check list items, one to a cloths pin, with a magic marker. Then as I set up, I clip the appropriate cloths pin to the turned down sun visor when that job is done. When the box is empty, I'm camped.
I reverse the process before driving off. Pretty hard to miss something that way.
As soon as you say to yourself, "I'll never forget that", you will.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Take your time when setting up or breaking down, and don't have conversations with neighbors while doing it.

After a few stops at different campgrounds (CG's) you will get the hang of your new rig. Then some talkative camping neighbor will come over and be in your ear as soon as you start setting up at a new site. You will try to be friendly, but you will get distracted and that is when you will mess something up.

If you get interrupted when setting up or breaking down, just stop what you are doing until the distraction is gone, then start all over. We always follow that rule plus we double check each other.

Have fun with your new unit and experiences!
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I recomend Evernote if you like electronic or laminate and use a grease pencil or dry erase if you like hard copy.

I use Evernote for packing with list by type campground and length of stay. I don't use a hard copy list for hookup or break down. Popup isn't that complicated. Power unhooked, chocks out, hitch latched, safety chains on, remove handle that cranks popup, check lights. Full walk around twice looking at latches, things left on the ground, etc.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
My CEO/Navigator checks the things I have to do to get ready for departure, but I am not allowed to check her list.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
I had one, but forgot where I put it. :h
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I each have our own lists in our heads. She readies the inside and I have the outside. We then kind of double check each other's work.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
When you do the "walk around" thing, LOOK. As said above, put everything away inside. Put everything away outside, put in the slides, pick up the jacks and then walk around and LOOK everywhere.

Antenna up, jacks down, door open, all that stuff can be seen if you just look. I don't have a list because there would be only one thing on it, LOOK around.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the things I do - antenna up

Antenna down

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a couple of them to check out. Enjoy your new coach.

RV Checklists
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
You can spend a lot of time looking for and making lists, but by about the third time you break camp, you'll know what you need to do. Basically, the slides come in and everything that can move around will need to be secured.

If you still need a list, handwrite a quick one because you won't need it in a couple months.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
There are rv camping checklists for arrival/set up and departure all over the internet. Just Google search and bunches come up. The Good Sam and KOA sites each have good checklists. Find the one that looks best for you and use it for your first trip. Add or delete from the list as necessary until it suits your needs.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

southernkilowat
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you will get lots of replies and everyone seems to do it differently, but for me:
Inside stuff first- Everything put in "Travel Mode" Coffee pot put away, shower door closed, everything off the shelves and put away, Toilet lid down, antenna down and in travel position.
Outside, Water hose/sewer hose put away, awning in, campsite picked up (no trash) Electric cord put away.
Start the coach, slides in, jacks up, toad connected.

Then, when I am ready to roll out, I always do one more walk around to make sure everything is done.
It helps to do everything by yourself and have no interruptions. If someone comes up and wants to chit-chat I start all over at the beginning.