cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best place for replacement keys

Gail_Phillips
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. After years of dreaming we finally purchased a 2001 Winnebago Minnie Winnie. The second owner passed over the keys which included a Ford ignition key, dead bolt key, main door key, and compartment door key. All work fine except the compartment door key which doesn't lock anything. We put some graphite in several of the compartment doors but it didn't help. Any suggestions on finding a compartment door key that would work. I did a search but only came up with possibly Camping World as a source. I've tried calling Winnebago but the number I had wasn't any good. I'll search for a new number after I post this message. Also need a duplicate for the ignition key. Should I go to a Ford dealer for a duplicate? How many sets of keys do you carry? Right now we only have one set but feel sure that's not enough. Thanking you in advance for your time and suggestions.
27 REPLIES 27

Gail_Phillips
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the help. Got the Minnie back and went to a locksmith. The previous owner had stated they never locked the compartment doors. He sprayed some different stuff in the locks and got them all working. I had three sets made so we are good to go.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We only got one heavily used set of keys that didn't work very well. I copied them myself, using a folded sheet of paper in the key machine to make each key higher, more like it was when new. There is a regular lock and a deadbolt on the door. I got green key blanks for the regular and brass ones for the deadbolt. We decided to just lock the deadbolt, then discovered that the other lock can slip into the locked position very easily. Luckily I was carrying both keys when it happened.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

KA4EBU
Explorer
Explorer
Again, if you have the number of the lock, send a message and I can help more than likely.
Don and Pauletta
2003 Phaeton 40RH
2008 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
Misty - Enjoying on the Rainbow Bridge
Sophie - Maltese

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
No need to carry a full set of keys with you (or with the wife) when out and about, only a door/deadbolt key. Other spares can be kept inside the RV. I have a full set at home (in case), one set on a keyring that I use when driving to and from the casmpsite, and one full spare set inside the RV. Otherwise, 2 keyrings each with only the door/deadbolt keys (on floating keyfobs) hung up inside the RV over the door. Those are used while camping. The only thing needed is to get back inside a locked coach where the rest of the keys are. BTW, I also have a magnetic keylocker with the door & ignition key hidden on the top of my propane tank, just in case.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is a good idea to "hide" at least a set of door keys somewhere on the exterior of the rig that is accessible.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Gail_Phillips
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the good suggestions. The Minnie along with the keys are across town having the decals replaced. As soon as we get it back, I will check for numbers on the keys and go from there. We will also probably go with three sets of everything. One to stay at home and two sets for the trip. I appreciate all the help.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Just replace the compartment locks.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Found what I needed @ ACE.
cpaulsen

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
We have 4 complete sets of keys.

One set stays home.

The other three are on lanyards. We find it much easier to keep track of the keys using lanyards. We do not have to worry about putting them in a jacket pocket then leaving the jacket in the RV.

We have the cab door and engine key. Two house door keys, one for the deadbolt, the other for the lock on the handle. One compartment key. One key that opens the water, fuel and dump valve covers. Oh and the key for the padlock for the car topper on the roof.

The small key that opens the water, fuel and dump valve compartments is hard to find and expensive. I have only found it at locksmiths and that single key is $4.50.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Another source for just about any key, RV or otherwise.
http://mysecuritypro.com/
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
We keep a second set of everything in a realtor key box attached to the propane tank.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
he ended up buzzing my RV keys flat, .

OK, I gotta ask, what exactly did he do?
bumpy

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I tried a local locksmith, he ended up buzzing my RV keys flat, so my originals were useless. I was very glad I could order duplicate keys from FIC.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I just took my door key to a local locksmith and he duplicated it. since evidently the OP can get into the compartments he should just remove one of the locks and take it to any locksmith, where he will have a better shot at getting one than at Ace/HD/Lowes etc.
I had the door keys duplicated as well as the magic remove the works key that I got under the recall.
bumpy