cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying options...

mattmerchant02
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are buying our first RV. The finance officer has asked us to purchase the following:

-Protection Plan$2224(60MONTHS) Platinum Plan,(covers mechanical, electrical; which are the most expensive repairs for 5 years and can be used at any facility in the US or Canada)
-Tire & Wheel $566.50 (Covers the tires and rims on the RV for 5 years)
-Multi-Seal $567.50 (Your tires, drivers and equipment are protected from job-stopping flats due to slow leaks around the rim as well as air loss through punctures – from pinholes to serious punctures (up to 3/4? diameter in the tread area)
-Eco Pro RV Anti Microbial Protection$1285.00  (protects your interior from stains and bacteria; while protecting the exterior from the harmful oxidizing elements)
-Gap Protection $899.00 Covers  insurance deficiency if your Travel Trailer is totaled

What do we absolutely NEED??? We have USAA Insurance if that matters...
25 REPLIES 25

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
If you bought all the insurance plans you could not afford the RV. Mine had guarantees on components, some longer than others. a couple of years out and my Coleman 1500 A/c went out. I took it to my dealer and he replaced it free of charge. Other problems I was able to correct myself. I would look for shoddy work behind the cabinets before I buy. Look on top as well as underneath the RV.

I recently looked at some Travel Trailers on a huge sales lot in Boise. Their new tactic is to convince people that everything has huge prices. They were asking me if I was ready to spend $60,000 on a travel trailer. I laughed at them.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kind of reminds me of my new car and the dealer wanting me to buy a 'tire and wheel' replacement policy. I realize here in Michigan, the roads are bad, but I'm not one to seek out a hole and square a wheel. I chuckled about it and passed. I also passed on the dealer's extended warranty and called Ford in Dearborn and got the Ford extended warranty myself. The Ford warranty covers tire and wheel replacement too.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Gap insurance and that is all but you should be able to get that with Usaa (progressive)

Just my $.02 as a salesman
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
If one company can sell GAP for $38 a year that tells you how much it is worth. No insurance company is going to sell it at a loss!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be worried about a dealer trying to sell that much add-on garbage.
If they're trying to ripoff buyers this soon in the process, what's the next load they'll hit you with.

Personally I wouldn't buy from that dealer.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
GAP is a whole $38/year on my $16k policy for my trailer to give you or others an idea on how inexpensive it can be.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

mattmerchant02
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all!! This was very helpful to know!! I will talk to my own insurance company about GAP, but the sales guy will have to pound sand...

Again, thank you all! Very helpful!!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
All that junk (and that's what it is) is just a money making ploy. The treaments are stuff you could buy off-the-shelf for a fraction of the cost (but dont need) and there's no way you will spend anything close to that on actual repairs during the time the extra warranty would kick in - if it even would pay anything.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
NO on all of it--especially GAP! It may just be the most over priced of the bunch. Uness OP is paying list price instead of getting 25 - 30% discount or financing for 240 months, the gap is going to be minimal. Insurance companies often offer GAP for FAR less premium. And, total losses are rare. In, fact most experience no insurance claim at all--otherwise premiums would be way higher. Unless it has changed lately, most appliances have their own 2 year warranty. If it is going to fail, most likely it will be in 2 years.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't pay extra for any type of extra or extended warranty on anything. Those make money for the seller. Yes, you could encounter a situation where the warranty would pay off but it's very expensive "insurance". Best to save that money and add some each month in an account for repairs. Over a lifetime, the probability is high that you'll come out ahead passing on the warranties. Do you really want to buy a product that you are gambling that it will break down so you can get your money's worth out of warranty expense?
Jayco-noslide

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Halmfamily wrote:
Gap, yes. Everything else no.
Ask USAA about GAP insurance instead of the dealer.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Gap, yes. Everything else no.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
The dealer's "finance officer" is really an insurance sales person without your best interests at heart. Buy somewhere else. Tell them why you moved on too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Never bought one, never needed one on any car, truck, electronic item, washe/dryer, I did take insurance on cell phones that my wife and stepson had she seemed to drop them and the kid lost them. Never had it on my own or needed it.
Ask the salesman how much that would add to the monthy payment then increase your monthy payment by that amount and pay it off sooner.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu