cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I just empty water tanks instead of winterizing?

juggledog
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Portland, where the average lows don't usually go below freezing, but you never know.

In regards to winterizing, can't I just empty the water heater tank and fresh water tanks and leave it at that? Why do I need to put antifreeze in it? Since it doesn't get too cold where I live, can I get away with doing this?

I've never winterized before, and I'd like to avoid doing it if possible.
32 REPLIES 32

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Have to agree with some of the others...it doesn't really take that long...sometimes we will winterize/unwinterize a couple times a year. If you don't want to run antifreeze through the lines, then at least blow them out and just put antifreeze in the traps. Our local CW here in NC, won't winterize tv's without running the antifreeze through the lines as they can't/won't guarantee anything. I do run it through the lines. Easier to do that, than to blow out the lines. I know for sure that I have antifreeze throughout the lines. I have a relative who only blew out the lines and had a costly repair in the spring years ago. And they were further south than us. Just not worth it to not do it if there is a chance of staying below freezing....
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

juggledog
Explorer
Explorer
cool, thanks for the suggestions on where to go.

BeatCJ wrote:
juggledog wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Use a small air compressor and blow out the lines, no need for the antifreeze. We use the 5er all winter and have done this several times in a winter, or like last year once! Never got cold enough after our New Years trip.

Yeah, I think this is what I'll do. I already have an air compressor, so it makes sense.

Since you're from Portland, do you have any cool spots I should take the RV over the winter? I was told it's fun to watch the storms on the coast.

Make sure your compressor is oil-less, otherwise you can create a nasty taste in your water system. I live about 30 miles NE of Portland, and some years I don't have to winterize, others I do. Since we are in a region that is relatively easy to forecast, we usually know if we are going to approach freezing. If i hear we may get to 35 F, I take the time to do it. I keep antifreeze on hand for the traps and tanks, and have a small compressor, if you hurry, you can do it in less than 30 minutes. Like was mentioned, getting the water pump safe is the hardest part. You don't say if you store your RV at home, If so, a small electric heater plugged in with the cabinet open to you water pump is cheap insurance.

I like Cape Disappointment and any park on the coast in the winter, they are so peaceful. I can go for a couple of days (we have our time off in the middle of the week) on just batteries. I also like Central Oregon or Washington, the High Desert areas are great to get away from the rain for a break. Get into the rain shadow of the Cascades, and it can be a great break. I like The Malheur, Blue Mountains, Lakewood areas. You don't have to go that far, and you may have to adjust travel plans due to pass conditions. In a Class C, you are a little more mobile than a trailer. I hate towing on icy roads, so I avoid it if I possibly can.

BeatCJ
Explorer
Explorer
juggledog wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Use a small air compressor and blow out the lines, no need for the antifreeze. We use the 5er all winter and have done this several times in a winter, or like last year once! Never got cold enough after our New Years trip.

Yeah, I think this is what I'll do. I already have an air compressor, so it makes sense.

Since you're from Portland, do you have any cool spots I should take the RV over the winter? I was told it's fun to watch the storms on the coast.

Make sure your compressor is oil-less, otherwise you can create a nasty taste in your water system. I live about 30 miles NE of Portland, and some years I don't have to winterize, others I do. Since we are in a region that is relatively easy to forecast, we usually know if we are going to approach freezing. If i hear we may get to 35 F, I take the time to do it. I keep antifreeze on hand for the traps and tanks, and have a small compressor, if you hurry, you can do it in less than 30 minutes. Like was mentioned, getting the water pump safe is the hardest part. You don't say if you store your RV at home, If so, a small electric heater plugged in with the cabinet open to you water pump is cheap insurance.

I like Cape Disappointment and any park on the coast in the winter, they are so peaceful. I can go for a couple of days (we have our time off in the middle of the week) on just batteries. I also like Central Oregon or Washington, the High Desert areas are great to get away from the rain for a break. Get into the rain shadow of the Cascades, and it can be a great break. I like The Malheur, Blue Mountains, Lakewood areas. You don't have to go that far, and you may have to adjust travel plans due to pass conditions. In a Class C, you are a little more mobile than a trailer. I hate towing on icy roads, so I avoid it if I possibly can.
Gordon
Now
2001 GMC 3500 DRW, Duramax
2021 Outdoors RV 250RDS
Old
1987 F-350 XLT Lariat SRW 6.9
1986 Western Wilderness Alpine Dinette 11

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
juggledog wrote:
I live in Portland, where the average lows don't usually go below freezing, but you never know.

In regards to winterizing, can't I just empty the water heater tank and fresh water tanks and leave it at that? Why do I need to put antifreeze in it? Since it doesn't get too cold where I live, can I get away with doing this?

I've never winterized before, and I'd like to avoid doing it if possible.

Maybe (probably) but all it takes is one unexpected cold snap and......well.....

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
juggledog wrote:

Where we live, we usually get 1 hard freeze a year, usually in mid-February, but we have had below freezing temps over night in January before. We use our camper all year long, so our winterizing is limited. We drain the hot water heater and the fresh water tank and leave them empty. If we know it will be below freezing, we blow out the lines with an air compressor. Then drop a few cups of RV anti-freeze down all the drains.

If it is a new camper, it most likely will have PEX water lines. PEX can handle freezing water, but the fixtures and fittings can't. That's why we blow out the lines, to make sure there is no water in the fixtures and fittings.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Nate1979 wrote:
We live in Portland. What I do is blow out the lines, drain all tanks and the low point drains, and pour antifreeze in the traps. A few years ago we have a very cold week of temperatures in the teens. Most definitely there is a chance of freezing. Rare but can happen.

Yes can happen, but we usually get plenty warning.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Nate1979
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Portland. What I do is blow out the lines, drain all tanks and the low point drains, and pour antifreeze in the traps. A few years ago we have a very cold week of temperatures in the teens. Most definitely there is a chance of freezing. Rare but can happen.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

How about the water pump? You can't blow it out--so some antifreeze would be a much cheaper solution than a new pump in the spring.

The traps for the sinks need to be protected as well.

juggledog wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
In that type of scenario I would just pull the low point drain and be done with it. Its not a hard freeze, so no issues!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Blowing the lines out is cheap insurance, I just turn the heat on. ๐Ÿ™‚ lazy yeah !
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

Living in Western Washington and near the Sound, this is what I do.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said - it's not the water tank or waste tanks that are typically the problem in moderate climates like Portland -- it's the small water lines and things like the toilet valve that tend to bust if the weather gets into the 20's. I usually blow the lines and put some RV antifreeze into the P traps of the kitchen, bathroom, and shower.

For what's it' worth -- I am not a fan of "storm watching" in an RV - hotels are cheap in the winter and if your there to watch a big storm that's where you want to be not some RV.
Kevin

upsidedown_Char
Explorer
Explorer
Matt, in lower SC we won't need to winterize but your solution is hilarious. I don't drink but if I pour my wife's 20 year old single malt down the pipes I'll find out if she has a great sense of humor eh?

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

Not true, if day time temps are in the mid 40's you can likely go as low as 28 degrees easly. What're doesn't freeze instantly when the temperature out side is 32 degrees.

Agreed. But I'm not talking about instant freeze. It only takes 5 or 6 hours for a small amount of water to completely freeze in the valves at 28 degrees. Unless there is a guarantee that will never happen in Portland? I don't know. But for the small amount of time and money involved, why take that chance?
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)