cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crossing into Canada & back - what about on-board water?

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
I've read up on what you can bring into Canada and back into the USA.

Simple question - what about the on-water in the tanks? Do I need to dump all the Canadian water before returning into the USA? Do I need to dump all the 'Merican water before entering Canada?
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh
34 REPLIES 34

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Lexx wrote:
I've read up on what you can bring into Canada and back into the USA.

Simple question - what about the on-water in the tanks? Do I need to dump all the Canadian water before returning into the USA? Do I need to dump all the 'Merican water before entering Canada?

Only if it has some LSD in it ๐Ÿ™‚

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
In 2008 (in our '08 Monaco Dynasty pulling '07 Honda CR-V), we crossed the border into Canada from Minnesota and drove around Lake Superior back into Michigan.

This was my fault..... I didn't read the requirements entering into Canada. We didn't have any weapons or any contraband ๐Ÿ˜› (we live a clean life) ๐Ÿ˜› ! What I didn't know is that there is a limit on liquor/wine that you can bring in.

The guard asked how much liquor we had on board, perplexed, I looked at my co-pilot and asked the question because I didn't know. We had a bottle or two of Vodka and a bottle of bourbon. We also had some wine that we had bought in the wine country back in 2006. Since we had stocked the coach months and months before, I couldn't remember how much wine we had.

So, because I didn't have an answer, they asked us to pull up for an inspection. Two guards asked us to step outside while they went through every cabinet and found the wine that we had stored. If I remember correctly, we had probably 15-20 bottles of wine (some were really good vintages!).

I think because we were so cooperative and nice, the guards told us there are two choices (we don't get to pick). 1) They can take the overage or 2) we have to pay a tax. They let us pay the tax that was about $180. The wine cost way more than that and we were glad they let us keep it. Lesson learned.

Coming back to the US, the guard asked a couple of questions and off we went (easy peasy).

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember the sixties when things were so pleasant when crossing the border. Basically just a "hello, where are you going and where are you from?" and you got waved through. It was so nice to be treated like good friends.

Now, even with Nexus and it's higher level pre-screening, it feels like we're being treated as if we're criminals. Sad!

Lorne_Lorraine
Explorer
Explorer
phil-t wrote:

My teenage years, there was no "border" no guards on duty or anything. The way it should be with our Canadian neighbors. That border should be treated no differently than a US State border, in my opinion.

X2

The direction we are going is sad and unfortunate.
Lorne Ross
2003 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD
Camped the lower 48 states and 9 provinces
Most multiple times and now on the repeat!

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Lexx wrote:
Do I need to dump all the 'Merican water before entering Canada?

They gave up on trying to enforce that a few years back......

It was becoming too much of a problem trying to keep the US & Canadian water separate in the Great Lakes, especially in the winter.......

Canadian nitrogen is not allowed in the U.S. I think you have to pay a tariff.

Krow
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough wrote:

Watch your produce though. I had all my American tomatoes fresh from my parents garden confiscated upon returning to the USA from a short Canada trip. Lol

We had a bunch of veggies bought in Canada but produce of the USA confiscated once when entering the US. Da rules is da rules.

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
Sometimes I think they just like to be the marionette and control the puppet strings. It's no different with U.S. customs either. I understand we live in troubled times but there's no reason to treat people poorly.

This for sure - I live on the Northeast border to Ontario in northern NY. I agree, completely with this 100%. They have the "power" and will, at times, totally abuse it. It's been quite a few years since I've crossed into Canada, car or boat, for this very reason.

So be it! I'll just stay away.

My teenage years, there was no "border" no guards on duty or anything. The way it should be with our Canadian neighbors. That border should be treated no differently than a US State border, in my opinion.
2014 Allegro 36LA

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Crowe wrote:
The ridicule on here is disheartening.

shum02 wrote:
No, it describes the silliness in the question. The planet is covered in water and does not care about silly .gov borders. I drink the same water the guy in Africa does and vise versa.

Shum,

The question is by no means silly.

Anybody that has dealt with US-ICE would know that this is not a silly question from an individual that has not crossed the border as much as we have.

There is no such thing as a silly question in this area. We have been challenged on canned fish that was canned in Alaska and the agent remarked that no foreign fish could be imported at that time. IT WAS FROM ALASKA.....

Matt

I have dealt with both coming and going and have never had an issue. Do what I'm told, answer only the questions I'm asked and have available the paper work required.

Usually head down into NY State with my water full, dislike the taste or I'm just used to my local stuff. It does have fluoride in it though ...........

Maybe I'm just lucky........? but I really doubt I am I just think some people are unlucky.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Cops whining about not being treated right?:R

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
All this said I was berated a couple of years ago coming back into Canada because our trailer had "too much American dirt" on it. :S I kid you not ... we had been camping at 4 Mile Creek State Park in NY state in early spring when the ground was still saturated with water and I had such a difficult time getting on to a site towing our trailer with our 2wd drive Avalanche which spent most of it's time spinning it's wheels. :M It took numerous tries, eventually I got on to a site, but a friend with a 4wd Expy had to pull me off. I even gave the trailer a quick rinse at the campground dump station before leaving but apparently this wasn't good enough and it was only because the Cdn border agent decided to be "gracious" that he let me go BUT not before reminding me he had every right to deny me entry into my own country and instead send me back to the US to wash my trailer. Absolutely 100% true story. :R

RobWNY wrote:
I believe it. I am a retired Police Officer and have an enhanced drivers license that I use to cross the border. It has a chip in it and pretty much tells your life story. Once, while I was still working, I went to Toronto to watch a couple of baseball games with a buddy of mine. When I was asked the reason we wanted to enter Canada, the Border agent didn't believe me and kept badgering us. It wasn't until I showed him the game tickets that we were allowed to enter but then I had to pull to the side to have myself and vehicle searched because they didn't believe that I didn't have a gun with me as an officer. I kept telling the guy that you'd have to be a complete idiot to try and cross the border with a concealed handgun and without the proper declaration forms filled out in advance. In the end I was allowed to enter. Sometimes I think they just like to be the marionette and control the puppet strings. It's no different with U.S. customs either. I understand we live in troubled times but there's no reason to treat people poorly.

One of our good friends is an OPP officer, is also on an ERT team (SWAT to those of you in the US). Last weekend while standing around the campfire we were all trading border crossing horror stories and I was astounded to hear that his were some of the worst. I found that hard to believe, considering his profession and status in the community ... and I'm not saying he deserves preferential treatment but he certainly doesn't deserve to be singled out repeatedly by border agents who in many cases have that job because they themselves have no chance of ever being a member of the police community. Amazing, and disappointing.

That might be exactly why members of Law Enforcement are singled out. Kind of a "Screw You" thing, as misguided as those thoughts/opinions/actions might be.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
myredracer wrote:

The US border guards can be mean & nasty sometimes.
Dealing with some of your CBSA people is not exactly like dealing with Mr Rodgers LOL.
Well that's just weird. They ALWAYS treat me nice. ๐Ÿ™‚ Hey, speaking of Mr. Rogers, have you heard about the new documentary coming out soon about him (starring who else, Tom Hanks)?

Grit dog wrote:

We travel back n forth regularly and some are cool, others are absolutely off their effing rocker....and this goes for both ICE and CBA.
Got pulled over once by CBA for an alleged "random computer-generated" inspection. Mean looking CBA dude inside (looked like an ex-marine) asks me where I'm going. I point over to our TT in their lot and say "I'm going camping". He looks at me like he's gonna shoot me or send me to Guantanamo Bay and says "NO, you are NOT going camping. Camping is when you pitch a tent on the ground." He repeats the question and trying to conceal my trembling, I say with my best poker face "I'm going to an RV resort for the weekend." He glares at me with the ol' hairy eyeball for a few seconds them moves onto the next question. He was one of those guys on a power trip and def. off his effing rocker.

But, yup, there are def. some really nice CBA officers.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
All this said I was berated a couple of years ago coming back into Canada because our trailer had "too much American dirt" on it. :S I kid you not ... we had been camping at 4 Mile Creek State Park in NY state in early spring when the ground was still saturated with water and I had such a difficult time getting on to a site towing our trailer with our 2wd drive Avalanche which spent most of it's time spinning it's wheels. :M It took numerous tries, eventually I got on to a site, but a friend with a 4wd Expy had to pull me off. I even gave the trailer a quick rinse at the campground dump station before leaving but apparently this wasn't good enough and it was only because the Cdn border agent decided to be "gracious" that he let me go BUT not before reminding me he had every right to deny me entry into my own country and instead send me back to the US to wash my trailer. Absolutely 100% true story. :R

RobWNY wrote:
I believe it. I am a retired Police Officer and have an enhanced drivers license that I use to cross the border. It has a chip in it and pretty much tells your life story. Once, while I was still working, I went to Toronto to watch a couple of baseball games with a buddy of mine. When I was asked the reason we wanted to enter Canada, the Border agent didn't believe me and kept badgering us. It wasn't until I showed him the game tickets that we were allowed to enter but then I had to pull to the side to have myself and vehicle searched because they didn't believe that I didn't have a gun with me as an officer. I kept telling the guy that you'd have to be a complete idiot to try and cross the border with a concealed handgun and without the proper declaration forms filled out in advance. In the end I was allowed to enter. Sometimes I think they just like to be the marionette and control the puppet strings. It's no different with U.S. customs either. I understand we live in troubled times but there's no reason to treat people poorly.

One of our good friends is an OPP officer, is also on an ERT team (SWAT to those of you in the US). Last weekend while standing around the campfire we were all trading border crossing horror stories and I was astounded to hear that his were some of the worst. I found that hard to believe, considering his profession and status in the community ... and I'm not saying he deserves preferential treatment but he certainly doesn't deserve to be singled out repeatedly by border agents who in many cases have that job because they themselves have no chance of ever being a member of the police community. Amazing, and disappointing.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer

SoundGuy wrote:
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Didn't What's-His-Name put a tariff on Canadian water??
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"