Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I need to stop at a weigh station ?

Happy_Camper3
Explorer
Explorer
I am in MN if that matters.

My half ton truck weights I dunno 7,000 lbs,

and my camper weight 5700 dry, plus 2 atvs and water, so I am way over10,000 pounds

On the way home, I say a sign that says

"ALL TRUCKS AND TRAILERS OVER 10,000 LBS COMBINED MUST STOP"

I sped up and kept going of course, but what should I have done ?
32 REPLIES 32

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:
If the sign says all vehicles over X tons and you fit the rule. Stop.

Bad advice. No, he doesn't have to stop.

If it says all vehicles unless he is walking he has to stop.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
bigred1cav wrote:

Bad advice. No, he doesn't have to stop.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer

roesiger03
Explorer
Explorer
Only if you need a toilet??

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
Wait until the weigh station is closed and no one is around and weigh your outfit...for free. They DOT almost never turn the scales off.

I hear in BC (Canada) they do weigh RV's but thats Canada.

He is not required to stop at commercial scales here, in fact the attendant will get annoyed if he is holding up commercial traffic, but the RCMP would pull him over if he appeared overloaded which he is.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
No you don't have to stop.
Unless, you were engaged in some sort of activity that could have made money, like an ATV race with a cash prize. Obviously it will be impossible for the weight cops to know if you were or not. I have a cousin who raced motorcycles professionally. He had corporate sponsor stickers all over the trailer so it was pretty obvious. He got tired of dealing with all the commercial regs so he took all the stickers off. Now it's just a big white blank cargo trailer. Nobody knows what he does so he doesn't stop anymore. I'm not saying that's a great plan but it works.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Sloop Smitten wrote:
sgip2000 wrote:
Sloop Smitten wrote:
Just to clarify, a commercial motor vehicle includes rental trucks. So, even if you are not driving one commercially, you have to go through weigh stations if over 10K lbs. unless signage depicts otherwise. I suspect rented M/H's are not included but no idea why since they fit the definition.. Kind of a grey area but have never heard of any state requiring it.

Not necessarily. If they are used for transporting personal property and not for interstate commerce, they don't usually have to stop.

Like I said, it depends on the signage. All the truck stops in California have signs requiring rental trucks to go through the weigh station. North Carolina is similar as I recall.

Stop confusing people! :M

The OP does not have a rental truck. He has his own truck and trailer!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
No you don't have to stop
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"ALL TRUCKS AND TRAILERS OVER 10,000 LBS COMBINED MUST STOP"

What's hard to understand?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
sgip2000 wrote:
Sloop Smitten wrote:
Just to clarify, a commercial motor vehicle includes rental trucks. So, even if you are not driving one commercially, you have to go through weigh stations if over 10K lbs. unless signage depicts otherwise. I suspect rented M/H's are not included but no idea why since they fit the definition.. Kind of a grey area but have never heard of any state requiring it.

Not necessarily. If they are used for transporting personal property and not for interstate commerce, they don't usually have to stop.

Like I said, it depends on the signage. All the truck stops in California have signs requiring rental trucks to go through the weigh station. North Carolina is similar as I recall.
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Sloop Smitten wrote:

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
SidecarFlip wrote:
Wait until the weigh station is closed and no one is around and weigh your outfit...for free. They DOT almost never turn the scales off.

I do this all the time!
Also a great place to take a break and have a bite. No one is around and it's very peaceful.

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:

CAT charges like $5, I'd burn more in fuel getting to the closest DOT scale.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB