cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you have to have a special driver's license?

curlysue321
Explorer
Explorer
With a 34-38 foot class A does one need a special driver's license?
47 REPLIES 47

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
There is nothing wrong with asking *experienced* rvers what their experience is or where they got their info. Chastising any poster for requesting information is neither polite nor helpful.

OP, don't worry, you can ask questions no problem. Unfortunately, sometimes you just have to ignore the grumpy posts and pick out what info you need ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest to not ask (verbally) the state DMV. go down there and get the brochure covering this. as I said, the lady at the DMV in VA misinformed me, showing me one section of the booklet and ignoring the facts 2 inches down the page.
bumpy

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
DiskDoctr wrote:
Wadcutter wrote:
Why would you not ask your state's DMV or who ever issues driver's licenses? Don't you think that would be a better option than asking a bunch of people you don't know who most likely don't know? Had you called them you would have already had the answer by now and you would also have the right answer.

Real helpful post :R

So what's your contribution to help the OP? I suppose you trust the answers you get from anonymous people on the internet? Yeah, that's real smart. Why don't you ask them about estate planning or how to invest your money? Getting legal advice from no-nothings is no way to protect yourself.
Read the responses the OP got. He asked what KS required. What answers did he get? Over a 7 day period he was told what he needed if he lived in CA, MT, WA, TX, DE, VA, MD, OK, and some of the info conflicted with each other.
So how much help did the OP really get? None. Instead he could have contact DMV in his state and had the answer a week ago.
If you want the correct answer ask the people who issue the license for your state. The internet know-it-alls don't know. Thank you for proving my point.
Camped in every state

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
Why would you not ask your state's DMV or who ever issues driver's licenses? Don't you think that would be a better option than asking a bunch of people you don't know who most likely don't know? Had you called them you would have already had the answer by now and you would also have the right answer.

Real helpful post :R

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
curlysue321 wrote:
With a 34-38 foot class A does one need a special driver's license?

All you need to know is here: http://www.dmv-department-of-motor-vehicles.com/KS_Kansas_dmv_department_of_motor_vehicles.htm As in many other states it depends on the weight of vehicle or combination of tow and trailer.
It looks as if your over 26,001 lbs you need a non-commercial Class A.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny_H wrote:
mowermech wrote:
" RV's do not require CDL (commercial driver's license) unless you are one of the people that deliver them from the manufacturer or if you are getting paid $$ to transport them."

Not QUITE entirely true. At least ONE state (CA) requires a Class A CDL with Doubles Endorsement for towing RV doubles ( defined as truck/trailer/trailer by many people). The reason being, so I have heard, is that that is the ONLY license that can have such an endorsement.
Actually, the CDL is a Federally mandated minimum. All states are free to exceed that minimum if they so desire. Any state can mandate that ALL drivers have a CDL and a current medical certificate if they decide it would enhance highway safety!

I agree, but the OP does not live in Ca, he/she lives in Ks so therefore Ca license does not pertain since he/she did not state that they were moving out there and you can only have one drivers license. I was just trying to steer this back to the original question posted and I think it would be easier to herd cats, but not near as much fun!!!

True. But I was referring to the quoted statement, and the quoted statement ONLY! CA was used because it is the ONLY state that I know of that requires a Class A CDL for RV towing. The fact that at least ONE state requires such a license to drive a certain type of RV means the quoted statement is not quite universally true.
THAT, and ONLY THAT, was the point of the post!

Yes, the OP apparently lives in Kansas. That means that he should address his questions about licensing to his appropriate state authorities to get correct state-specific answers.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
" RV's do not require CDL (commercial driver's license) unless you are one of the people that deliver them from the manufacturer or if you are getting paid $$ to transport them."

Not QUITE entirely true. At least ONE state (CA) requires a Class A CDL with Doubles Endorsement for towing RV doubles ( defined as truck/trailer/trailer by many people). The reason being, so I have heard, is that that is the ONLY license that can have such an endorsement.
Actually, the CDL is a Federally mandated minimum. All states are free to exceed that minimum if they so desire. Any state can mandate that ALL drivers have a CDL and a current medical certificate if they decide it would enhance highway safety!

Actually it is all kind of confusing for a lay person. There is the Federally mandated CDL, issued by state dmvs, that is required for anyone who drives for hire that is involved in interstate transportation of goods or passengers that move across state lines. And then some states have their own, non-federally mandated, local state required CDL which is required for some who drives for hire, but never leaves the state, or who require a special license to drive larger (weight or length) vehicles for personal use. Two entirely different types of licenses which might have the same abbreviation.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Johnny_H
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:

I agree, but the OP does not live in Ca, he/she lives in Ks so therefore Ca license does not pertain since he/she did not state that they were moving out there and you can only have one drivers license. I was just trying to steer this back to the original question posted and I think it would be easier to herd cats, but not near as much fun!!!
Johnny & Cindy
Missie - Yellow Lab
Bubba - Rescued pup
Bopper -Rescued pup

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer

CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny_H wrote:
I like they way a simple question about something on here leads to discussion of why chickens have feathers and geese don't, but for the OP's question on his license. Yes, in Kansas they require a non-commercial license for a vehicle with a CGVWR over 26,001 lbs. However, this is not a CDL. RV's do not require CDL (commercial driver's license) unless you are one of the people that deliver them from the manufacturer or if you are getting paid $$ to transport them. Besides that if you are legal in your state, the states that you visit while travelling you are legal as well.

geese don't have feathers????
bumpy

Johnny_H
Explorer
Explorer
I like they way a simple question about something on here leads to discussion of why chickens have feathers and geese don't, but for the OP's question on his license. Yes, in Kansas they require a non-commercial license for a vehicle with a CGVWR over 26,001 lbs. However, this is not a CDL. RV's do not require CDL (commercial driver's license) unless you are one of the people that deliver them from the manufacturer or if you are getting paid $$ to transport them. Besides that if you are legal in your state, the states that you visit while travelling you are legal as well.
Johnny & Cindy
Missie - Yellow Lab
Bubba - Rescued pup
Bopper -Rescued pup

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
California is 42' plus I'm told by reputable sources.

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
I thought the OP was asking about Kansas, at least that is where his profile says he from. He probably doesn't give a hoot about California, Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia or even Maryland.

Tatest offered incorrect information about OK.

I am obligated to correct.
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 ๐Ÿ™‚ ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
I thought the OP was asking about Kansas, at least that is where his profile says he from. He probably doesn't give a hoot about California, Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia or even Maryland.

is it forbidden that others wondering about the same issue for their home states jump into a thread? do we have to have 57 threads, one for each state?
bumpy