cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dogs in RV parks

mz-s
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are seriously considering buying a camper within the next year or so, so that we can travel around our great country while towing our own "home" everywhere we go. We also want to be able to travel with our cats, which will allow us to be away from home longer without needing to worry about having someone stop by every day or so to feed/water/scoop box.

I'm reading on a lot of forums that people travel with their dogs, probably for the same reasons we want to travel with our cats.

Do you find that dogs barking is an issue in RV parks? Do people with dogs make sure they're well-mannered? Obviously there will be bad apples and irresponsible dog owners wherever you go, but in general what's been your experience? The last thing we want to do is sink thousands in a camper then never use it because we're always dodging dog refuse around the RV park, or we can't sleep because people have yappers going all hours of the night.
104 REPLIES 104

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jfkmk, don't people have official papers to prove a dog is indeed a certified service dog? If not IMO they sure should, especially if they want to bring the dog on a plane. Proof should be mandatory at check in.

I like dogs. Have a mixed rescue, but there are people who expect their dogs to be treated as human. Complete nonsense.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
dr3x wrote:
Corky,
I hear you load and clear about the internet vest. Please do us with trained and tested every year or two for proper public licensing a favor if you think it is a fake service dog then report it. We travel with 2 dogs a little yapper who is always with us but not outside or in public places. The other dog is a licensed Service Dog who performs many tasks for me 42 or more and is by side 24 / 7 so I do worry about those that aren't trained licensed because they will only cause those of us with the need to be punished. We also value both dogs and obey to rules everywhere.:)
also see many "service dogs" in their internet vests in grocery stores, restaurants, tourist attractions, etc.also see many "service dogs" in their internet vests in grocery stores, restaurants, tourist attractions, etc.

Friends of ours train service dogs, and it gets to me when people use the "fake service dog" ploy. It's incredible how much work and time go into training them.

Last week, we were flying back from Moab....amazing, no wonder folks here talk about it so much! Anyway, on the second flight home, a woman sat diagonally across from us with a large mixed breed dog. At first she said it was a Craigslist rescue dog.

A flight attendant came to talk to her, and it became apparent the dog had bothered the guy next to her, taking up quite a bit of his floor space making it uncomfortable for him. She (dog lady) started to get loud, claiming he was an a$$, and she had to put up with others screaming children and people who smell bad. She then started spouting off about people with desabilities not having rights, etc.

She then claimed the dog was a service dog and the airline had better watch out. Dog had no vest, and throughout the flight, she had to keep telling the dog to sit, etc, as it was acting excitedly. It was NOT a well behaved fog.

Knowing the people who train service dogs, we've seen many "graduates" and one or two who couldn't pass muster. Even these "rejects" we're the best behaved dogs I've ever seen. I know what it takes to select and train these dogs. None of them are ever Craigslist rescues. Guaranteed.

This woman was scamming the airline with her selfish "I want to bring my pooch wherever I want" attitude.

Sorry for the off topic rant!

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, someone was triggered by my extremely calm post? I guess it takes all kinds.

Maybe people are confused between cats and humans. It is the cats who think dogs are like wolves, not the humans. At least not any humans I know.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Naio wrote:
I thought this thread was about what the cat can tolerate, not what the humans can.

It's a scary thing to be surrounded by barking predators who want to eat you. That level of stress has health consequences. That means expensive vet bills for the owner.

Dog owners can get a better idea if they imagine their trailer surrounded by wild wolves, all day and all night, for as long as they are at the park. Would you camp there? Would it be a little less stressful if the wolves weren't howling all the time when you were trying to sleep?

Lol, no even though the op said they are thinking about cat camping, their questions were about yappers and dog pooo on their shoes.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
paulcardoza wrote:
Seriously???? You need to take a pill and calm down.

Naio wrote:
I thought this thread was about what the cat can tolerate, not what the humans can.

It's a scary thing to be surrounded by barking predators who want to eat you. That level of stress has health consequences. That means expensive vet bills for the owner.

Dog owners can get a better idea if they imagine their trailer surrounded by wild wolves, all day and all night, for as long as they are at the park. Would you camp there? Would it be a little less stressful if the wolves weren't howling all the time when you were trying to sleep?

Now this thread is some entertaining reading. Ya know, since my 13 yr old Chowlab has gotten up in years, it's been quite awhile since she had a lunch comprised of a scared camper who was cowering in their RV, because she had them surrounded LOL.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously???? You need to take a pill and calm down.

Naio wrote:

Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Naio
Explorer
Explorer

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ro_sie wrote:
Thanks paulcardoza. I wanted to say that, but couldn't think of a nice way to put it. Some people don't like dogs or cats. Some don't care for children, but all have the right to camp. I tend to enjoy dogs, cats and children. During the hurricane, I loaned my moho to a couple from Florida. Full hookups on my property. they brought their bird. Great people and nice bird. Tolerance is a good thing,

x2, I can't stand crotchety old coots. whoops, wait a second, I am one.
bumpy

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks paulcardoza. I wanted to say that, but couldn't think of a nice way to put it. Some people don't like dogs or cats. Some don't care for children, but all have the right to camp. I tend to enjoy dogs, cats and children. During the hurricane, I loaned my moho to a couple from Florida. Full hookups on my property. they brought their bird. Great people and nice bird. Tolerance is a good thing,
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
When camping in RV parks, people need to reset their expectations to a more reasonable level. You're going to be in a location with a large group of people within hearing distance of you, your kids and your pets. And you of their's!

Everyone has different expectations and ideas about what a fun camping time is. EVERYONE need to be more tolerant of others, who simply may have different perspectives than you and me.

Someone early on in this thread, made the comment that most campers don't follow the pet rules. That's totally false! MOST people absolutely follow the rules. I'm not hesitant to approach someone who does not, especially when it comes to picking up their dog's cr@p.

If you cannot go into a campground with the perspective of being tolerant of others, you should limit your camping to boondocking.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Traveled all across the USA and western Canada hauling an RV. As said, most people are reliable pet owners, but there are a few who believe the rules do not apply to them.

Taking care of your pets and allowing others to mind their own pets as they see fit is probably the best policy. Remember, you have wheels and the ability to move at any time, so if you are unhappy with your current location, just relocate.

Enjoy your new hobby. America is beautiful. Get out and make forever lasting memories. Try not to let a perceived problem be the reason you decide not to explore.

Safe travels.

Lakeside

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
He is a very very nice cat. I try to show my appreciation by doing what he asks, too, as often as I can.

mz-s
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
I have a situation like that at my s&b, a neighbor whose dog barks all afternoon, every day. I have not talked to her about, it, don't know if she knows. It's sort of a difficult dynamic because last year she ran over and killed my other cat. She is a renter so i have been just waiting for her to move out.

I guess this means I would not be a good dog owner. Luckily my remaining cat is extremely cooperative in personality, is quite willing to do what I ask.

Sorry to hear that one of your cats was ran over.

How strange that you have a cat that does what you ask. Mine come when they're called, but when they realize it's not because I have food for them they quickly turn into obdurate beings and ignore everything I say.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Rice wrote:

Or worse, when two people walking dogs stop and talk while their dogs bark bark bark the whole time. I wonder if they even hear it; I know it doesn't bother them.

Oh, they hear it all right. They are just embarrassed to show that their dog is the boss and will NOT shut up no matter how many times it's told to be quiet.

Lol, that probably applies to the parents of toddlers, too!

But really, I think in both cases it's that they choose to learn to tune it out, rather than deal with it.

I have a situation like that at my s&b, a neighbor whose dog barks all afternoon, every day. I have not talked to her about, it, don't know if she knows. It's sort of a difficult dynamic because last year she ran over and killed my other cat. She is a renter so i have been just waiting for her to move out.

I guess this means I would not be a good dog owner. Luckily my remaining cat is extremely cooperative in personality, is quite willing to do what I ask.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Rice wrote:

Or worse, when two people walking dogs stop and talk while their dogs bark bark bark the whole time. I wonder if they even hear it; I know it doesn't bother them.

Oh, they hear it all right. They are just embarrassed to show that their dog is the boss and will NOT shut up no matter how many times it's told to be quiet.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!