cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First mountain coming up

SleepyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
Will be hittin g the Bighorns soon and am still a bit confused about gears. I'm in a class c gas and it has a way to shift into m1 to m6. Owner said to keep it around 2500 rpm. So going uphill do I shift down from m6 to a lower gear m5/4/3/2/1 and the reverse it going downhill (shift up to 2/3/4/5/6)? Sorry, been manual transmission in a car my whole life.

Will be going eastbound on 16 through the Bighorns.

Thanks
Sleeping our way across the US
24 REPLIES 24

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
2500 RPM is not going to get up the mountain. That is bad advice. Put it in tow/haul and let the computer decide the gear and RPM.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I don't know a gas engine that makes it's peak power at 2,500 RPM. Not one; not even a big, big block or even the EcoBoost.

With todays electronic EFI engines, red line is set by the computer. When pulling a mountain firmly plant your right foot to the floor until you go over the speed you want to go and then hold it at that speed.

It's really that simple.

Not really.

Most of the info comes from Ford owners with the V10 which has to be run at a high RPM to produce enough power.

Where as the Chevy Vortec like the OP has the peak torque occurs at only 4,400 rpm.

The torque curve of the 6.0L is broad and flat, with approximately 90 percent of peak torque available at only 2,000 rpm.

Yes really. If the OP wants to make it up the mountain in a timely fashion he needs peak power (as in peak HP) NOT peak torque.

The 6.0 makes it's 322 max HP at 4,400 RPM (or 324 HP at 4,600 RPM depending on engine)so that is where the OP needs to be to make max HP to get that slug up the hill.

The 6.0 is only making about 175 HP at 2,500 RPM recommended by the original owner. That's not going to cut it with a 6.0 SBC.

(The link to my torque chart won't work!):(
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
SleepyBadger wrote:

Downhill was another matter. Tried to let towmode do the job and when I knew a peak was coming let the upgrade kill my speed. Think I still used the brakes too much, didn't seem like tow mode was slowing me down. Used brakes to get me 15-20 under then coast again. We are through. Didn't yell at son too much to be quiet.

As I said: I don't rely on tow haul on downhill sections. Too much at stake. Enjoy your trip.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Tach run it uphill at just below redline or lower if pulling is EZer, down shift to a gear on the uphill to keep the V-8 or V-10 spining RPM to keep cooling to a max. Down hill shift to a lower gear or same gear coming up. Once you down shift manually you will be in Tow Haul mode OR in the olden days overdrive. Keep at or just below red line as needed for compression braking. If speed or RPM rise too high stab brake(brake firmly) to 5 MPH below desired RPM or speed then let brakes cool, repeat as needed. Picking the correct gear going down hill with the E450 31' and 4-runner in tow I very seldom need the brakes. Only experience can tell. Also find just keeping with the trucks(most have been there before) will keep you out of trouble untill you have a few mountain pass's behind you.

LEN

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I don't know a gas engine that makes it's peak power at 2,500 RPM. Not one; not even a big, big block or even the EcoBoost.

With todays electronic EFI engines, red line is set by the computer. When pulling a mountain firmly plant your right foot to the floor until you go over the speed you want to go and then hold it at that speed.

It's really that simple.

Not really.

Most of the info comes from Ford owners with the V10 which has to be run at a high RPM to produce enough power.

Where as the Chevy Vortec like the OP has the peak torque occurs at only 4,400 rpm.

The torque curve of the 6.0L is broad and flat, with approximately 90 percent of peak torque available at only 2,000 rpm.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

SleepyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
It's done. I didn't worry about traffic behind me. Going up the tow mode seemed to do a good job and we pulled over at 2 view points to let traffic by going up.

Downhill was another matter. Tried to let towmode do the job and when I knew a peak was coming let the upgrade kill my speed. Think I still used the brakes too much, didn't seem like tow mode was slowing me down. Used brakes to get me 15-20 under then coast again. We are through. Didn't yell at son too much to be quiet.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The 6.0 in my Silverado eagerly spins at 4500 RPM towing up steep hills. That is where the power is. No way you're going up a mountain at 2500, IMHO.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Pay attention to the grade warning signs. At the beginning of steep downhill sections, downshift to a gear or two lower than you think you need. It is much easier to upshift than downshift.
I don't rely on tow haul on downhill sections. Too much at stake. Enjoy your trip.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
What chassis and drive train?

Most modern chassis/drivetrains have a tow mode for the transmission. Just choose that when you are in hilly country.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another thing, do not worry about people behind you. You drive within your own comfort zone and don't let yourself be pushed by someone riding your bumper. Should you come to a turn out then by all means pull off and let them by, take a break and let things cool down.

I have to agree not to focus on the 2500 number. thats impossible and not practical. The engine is going to rev high both up and down hill so don't be concerned if it hits 4500 to 5000 even.

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
2500 RPM is too low... Like mentioned, go down at similar speeds that you went up at. Do not ride the brakes. Your major concern is to keep your breaks from overheating and you do that by NOT riding them on the way down.

Your computer should easily control the shifting going uphill.

You can downshift (going from say 5, down to 4) anytime you feel your speed is increasing too rapidly. Personally, I bake rather hard, release the brakes and see what gear I'm in. Press the down arrow or button once to go down a gear.

Your computer will not let you down shift if it would raise the engine above redline. Many people make the mistake of not letting their engine rev up... Anything not approaching redline is OK. It's made to run.

Just take it slow and you'll do great!
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry too much about sticking to 2500. 3 to 4,000 going upgrade won't hurt and is better than "lugging" the motor at low RPMs. Actually your auto trans will downshift as needed going up as that what it's for but doing it manually is a little better if your comfortable doing it. Down shift a little ahead of time not going to such a low gear that the engine screams. You can feel the motor starting to pull down as it needs a lower gear. Going down, the auto won't do the job on it's own. Slow down before the down grade and keep slowing and downshifting 1 gear at a time until you can coast along without much braking. On a real steep one, you may need to brake a little but I seldom need the brakes on main highways. Above all, slow down.
Jayco-noslide

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer

It's really that simple.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

SleepyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Thanks everyone.