cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Has this ever happened to you?

Meffrig
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago I took a family trip and was towing my car behind my Class C motorhome. I made a wrong turn in a subdivision when taking a relative home, and knowing that you cannot back up while towing, I tried to make a loop and turn on the dead end street. My tow vehicle was somewhat cockeyed before I realized I couldn't make the turn. I was thinking no problem, I will just get out and unhook the tow. After about 30 minutes of beating those hook up pins out with a hammer in the 90 degree heat, I finally got the tow vehicle loose and was able to re hook and be on my way. I pretty much felt like an idiot and am sure those in the homes on the dead end street would feel the same way. I wonder if this has ever happened to anyone else?
Meffrig
2014 THOR WINDSPORT 34 J
24 REPLIES 24

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
Accidentally drove into a truck stop McDonalds drive up lane. Had vehicles
stacked up that could not get out until we were able to unhook, back-up to
get the car and MH out of the way. Talk about embarrassing--only had one
idiot in a very large pick-up who seemed to be upset and roared out of the
parking area like it was a matter of life or death. A "been there, done that,
experience"!

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
dieharder wrote:
Any time you have pressure on those pins, you're going to have to pound the bejaysus out of them to get them out. Depending on why/how there is pressure on the pins, it may be easy or difficult to relieve the pressure. Hell, even some times when I'm getting back home and on a straightaway I have to pull out the rubber mallet and give it a couple of whacks to get them out.

For situation like you describe, I would get the quick connect/disconnect:

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Roadmaster/RM-222.html

Totally wrong. There is no reason to take a hammer to the towbar..ever. If you have an assistant, use them to slowly turn the steering wheel of the toad one way and then the other. At some point, the bar will relax and you can remove a pin. Repeat the process and you can remove the other

"Totally wrong" seems a bit strong. Moving the steering wheel side to side will have little or no effect if the towed vehicle is downhill from the MH, even if chocked.

In an ideal world a hammer should not be necessary, but sometimes there is a side slope, not enough length to align the vehicles properly, or front to back slope beyond the capabilities of the all-terrain tow bar. Many of the situations described in this thread are in less than ideal conditions.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
dieharder wrote:
Any time you have pressure on those pins, you're going to have to pound the bejaysus out of them to get them out. Depending on why/how there is pressure on the pins, it may be easy or difficult to relieve the pressure. Hell, even some times when I'm getting back home and on a straightaway I have to pull out the rubber mallet and give it a couple of whacks to get them out.

Totally wrong. There is no reason to take a hammer to the towbar..ever. If you have an assistant, use them to slowly turn the steering wheel of the toad one way and then the other. At some point, the bar will relax and you can remove a pin. Repeat the process and you can remove the other

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
That is why we have a 4x4 truck with pop up slide in truck camper. No toad, no long wheelbase, no height probs so far.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I've only had that problem when the MH and towed vehicle are not aligned correctly, even with the all-terrain tow bar, and powering the towed vehicle forward. I have a valve from a big block V8 that I can hold onto and pound on without crushing my hand to drive the pins out.

There are lots of IQ Tests out there.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Meffrig
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
Couldn't you release the tow bar latches with the parking brake on and take the pressure off the pins. Or put the toad in gear and pull forward or back a hair to free the pins up?

Tried that with no success. Had to beat those pins that were wedged really tight. Hopefully it won't happen again but who knows. Getting in and out of some fuel stations can be tricky as well.
Meffrig
2014 THOR WINDSPORT 34 J

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Lost reverse on the Suburban this summer and spent the whole weekend only being able to drive forward until the shop opened on Monday. Gives a whole new dimension to driving when you have to pre-think every turn, "If I go here, will I be able to exit without backing up?"

Our TT is 32' long but at least I can back it up if I have to.
Yep, sure do have to pre-think everything!!! Had that happen in the motorhome.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Nolan
Explorer
Explorer
Don't have a motorhome but a 5th wheel.

1. Thought the campground was down the road we took. Ended up a dead end road into a apartment complex. Was able to back into the driveway of the apartment complex to get out but had a car driver that wasn't happy because it took me to long.

2. Google maps showed the black top road to be paved all the way to the interstate we wanted to get to. It wasn't. Turned to a sand road. Wasn't going to drive on it. Backed up on the blacktop until we found a farm road into a field and backed into that to get turned around. At least no other traffic on that road.

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer

1999 Itasca Sunrise

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
When we got our first TT it was in '69. The next summer we drove to Geneseo, IL to visit in-laws. I got sick so DW had to drive the last 200 miles. FIL had her park next to the steps that were 5' tall and solid concrete. When we got ready to leave I realized a TT does not back up the same way it went forward. It took a lot of maneuvering to get a Lincoln with 21' TT free of between a garage and huge tree.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

pegdiver
Explorer
Explorer
Yep...
Gave new meaning to he said he could make it and I said he couldn't.
He couldn't.
Blocked a major road.
Don't know if we spoke to one another for a while after, but we both learned what the unit can do and what it can't.
Learning experience - you will have many.
2012 Winnebago Adventurer 37F with 2012 Jeep Liberty toad.
Old - 1999 32' Adventurer (no slides) with Grand Vitara toad (105,000 miles!)
Pride 3 wheel mobility scooter
Only 3 states to go in the USA, Camped in most of Canada and 4 states in Mexico too!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lost reverse on the Suburban this summer and spent the whole weekend only being able to drive forward until the shop opened on Monday. Gives a whole new dimension to driving when you have to pre-think every turn, "If I go here, will I be able to exit without backing up?"

Our TT is 32' long but at least I can back it up if I have to.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
That is why one should get a non-binding or "All-Terrain" easy release tow bar!
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Wally_Walleye
Explorer
Explorer
Yes several times and aways a crowd to watch. It is call RV entertainment for the onlookers:)