cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Helped out some new campers this weekend

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Thought maybe some other new campers could learn from some of their mishaps.

First lets look at what they did right... Right off the bat the wife came over and asked for help guiding the hubby into the spot. Said they were on their first time out and she has heard horror stories. SO I guided her hubby in while showing her how to stay in his mirrors so he could see her.

Trying not to be a know it all I headed back to my site. I noticed he was unhooking and had not leveled the camper left to right or chocked the wheels. Back over to help. Got him level and chocked. Heading back to my site.

Look over again and see wifey with an orange extension cord out getting ready to plug the camper in. Head back over. Ask "Are you planning to use your A/C this weekend?" Yes. "That cord is not going to work for you." Notice only about 6 feet of 30 amp cord coming out of the "hole" in the camper. Tell hubby there should be about 20 more feet in there. 3 screws later we have all the cord out of the trailer. Still doesn't reach to the electrical box. I provide a proper 30 amp extension cord.

Next they hook up the water hose. Shortly after I see water running out of the bottom of the trailer. I shut of the water and we start looking for leaks. Bypass the hotwater heater. That Fixed the leak at the front. Another leak in the bathroom. Cant fix that one right now. No water for the weekend. WHEN YOU BUY A USED TRAILER HOOK UP EVERYTHING AT THE HOUSE BEFORE YOU DRIVE 1.5 HOURS TO A CAMPGROUND!.

Awning time....... It's windy. I tell him "If you are going to put your awning out you will need to stake it down or it will end up broken on the roof of the trailer." And that is where we removed it from 20 minutes later.

All in all they learned a lot in a short time and kept their spirits up. They really only need a few parts to fix the issues and they will be good to go. I was glad to help out with what I could and hopefully provided enough encouragement to get them to try again.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500
20 REPLIES 20

reinita
Explorer
Explorer
And THAT's why I check in on this forum all the time. Always good to learn from others.
On our maiden voyage (July 4 weekend, of course), we were struggling to unhook the HTT from Durango. Two nice ladies who'd been sewing outside their TT walked over and very nicely offered help. We were mortified but grateful. We got things taken care of with their suggestions.
I think of them sometimes and am still grateful to them many years later.
Forest River Sunseeker 3170 bunkhouse. We travel with a Leonberger, a 22-year-old, 19-year-old and 12-year-old.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good to see you helped a fellow camper. We all started at the same place knowing basically zero. I'll always help if asked but don't normally offer help unless asked or if the person looks over to me seeming kind of lost. I'll take that as a hint and say, "need a hand"?, then walk over and see what I can do.

Another thing I don't do is give advice unless asked. For example if I notice the camper next to me is hooked up to sewer and has the dump valve open, I won't tell him/her that's a bad idea and the dump valve should be closed until dumping. I figure they can learn those lessons the hard way.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
I tried helping one couple back in once....the Wife was backing him into a tree, but stopped short.....after I helped guide him in, I got the nastiest look, and no "Thank You"......from that time on, I keep an eye on the newbies, feel out their demeanor, and help if I think they need it, and won't get nasty
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice that help was sought & received.

Watching others back in is otherwise called "entertainment". Watched a good one a couple evenings ago. The loop actually is a circle with back in sites radiating on the outside of it.

The trick, took me a couple visits to figure out, is to go around far enough so that your trailer lines up with your site. It is then easy to back more or less straight in one time.

Not this couple. A little bird told me to count how many times he went forward & back before he got it in place. 15 times that truck was backed up. DW mouth was going steady. Doubt if DH heard a word. We all know how noisy those ford diesels are. She running here & there not giving DH a 'target' to aim for. He did get out for a look but only twice.

Hilarious!
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

rhartman911
Explorer
Explorer
Thats is camping helping each other out talking to other. I usaully go up and down the road just talking to people asking them stuff like do you like your setup you will be surprised how many people just say come on in.
You can tell the ones who are camping for the first time they kind of stand out

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
Unless asked, I never offer to help campers. The only exception to that is if I see where they are trying to do something that will get them or someone else hurt.

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
I had the ? Ask of me one time, at the dump station, can u fill the fresh water tank with the hose at the dump station, I said so that u won't forget, took my sewer pipe out of the ground, and stuck the water hose down in the pipe , and sak the folks what u think, they got the idea, and I have seen a lot of folks with no gloves doing the same thing. I like to put a bit more effort in . Now it's all --- all happy-camping

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good suggestion to newbies is a $26 pair of walkie-talkies. Now you don't have to yell or stay in someones mirror.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear people helping people good deal.

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
The RV dealer from where we purchased our present had a full-hookup 3-site area next to their sales lot for those who wished to stay over night. Made it nice to learn to back into a site, do all the hookups (and a place to buy what didn't come with RV), and then in the morning to un-hook and pull out .. made for some practice with help nearby.

Also gave us a chance to stay overnight in the RV and learn how to work everything inside.
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

scarpi
Explorer
Explorer
I also learn a lot on this forum. If you just ask a question or post your problem, there usually are many experienced people here with solutions and answers.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
"Camp Driveway" should be required for all RV newbies, before they're allowed to leave on a trip!:W
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
Good work! As it turns out Ive already been on both ends of this... I have already had the opportunity to lend a hand - in my very first hour camping no less - and I was able thanks to all the good folks here that I've learned so much from. And as it turns out on my second trip out the good deed was repaid when a really nice guy ( who also happened to be a professional truck driver) jumped up to help me at my first ever back in camp site.

You get what you give. I really believe that. Good on ya! ๐Ÿ™‚
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
It is nice that you 'volunteered' after the initial request - before they felt then had to ask or were too shy to ask. Breaks the ice a lot easier. ๐Ÿ™‚
NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013