cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How is the Chevy Traverse towing 5000 lbs?

ssstar3
Explorer
Explorer
I've been researching RVs and TT's for over a year and have finally decided I'm happy in the Airstream 23 ft Serenity. Now I need a vehicle to tow it and came upon the Chevy Traverse which seems like it would theoretically work. Has anyone actually used this vehicle for towing that much weight?
36 REPLIES 36

aprilz
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure what the weight of your TT is, but if it's close to the max towing capacity of the Traverse, I recommend searching for a vehicle that can tow more. Years ago, we towed a Komfort TT with an Expedition. The TT was near the Expedition's limit, so it was very stressful going up hills...you worried about making it to the top at a reasonable speed (35+) and also wondered how badly it was wearing out the transmission and other parts that were working so hard to pull all that weight. We ended up selling the Expedition and buying a F-250 and the drives after that were much more enjoyable.
The Rutter Family
Whittier, Southern California

2008 Bounder 35H (bath and a half)
2012 GMC Acadia

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
i don't quite understand the attraction some have for the Traverse as a tow vehicle, especially compared to the Tahoe.

Traverse- mpg is 17/24
Tahoe- mpg is 15/21

Traverse tow capacity- 5200lbs. with a 150lb. driver
Tahoe tow capacity- up to 8500lbs. with a 150lb. driver

the Tahoe gives more room and much more towing capacity, for only 2-3 miles per gallon less. plus it's ladder frame construction vs. the unibody construction of the Traverse.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
I am all for towing small, but I think you are a bit too small for that trailer. Could it be done with a struggle? Probably. I would suggest something a little smaller/lighter.

Or since you haven't purchased TV yet you might want to consider something a little bigger. If you were looking at a new Traverse then maybe consider a 1-2 year old Tahoe for around the same money. I think you would be better off not only of the room in the Tahoe but also in how it would tow that trailer.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I am all for towing small, but I think you are a bit too small for that trailer. Could it be done with a struggle? Probably. I would suggest something a little smaller/lighter.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have lots of responses for and against, mostly against. It is certainly doable. Not to open another can of worms on the subject but I would highly recommend talking to Andy at Can Am Rv in London Ontario. He is an expert at setting up all sorts of vehicles to tow Airstreams with. Not everyone agrees with his methods but he is highly knowledgeable and people come from around the world for his advice.

You can search on here for posts or go to www.canamrv.ca or call direct at 1-866-226-2678

I am not tied to these people in any way but have used their services in the past and have spoken with many customers who have nothing but good things to say.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
Well depends on ACTUAL fully loaded TT weight, and year and options on Chevy. In 2013 the Traverse is rated for minimum 2000#, max 5200# tow weight. Thus tongue weight VEHICLE spec is likely 520# at best. You want 13% to 15% of the FULLY LOADED TT WEIGHT on the tongue. Thus the max TT weight fully loaded is 4000#. Seems very light for a 23 ft TT to me. Make sure you check ALL specs. What is the TT GVWR?
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
The Serenity is 4800 pounds curb weight before you put so much as a pair of undies in it. That's within 200 pounds of the Traverse's 5,000 pound capacity.

Since many folks use an average planning number of 1,000 pounds of added weight to trailer payload once ready-to-travel, I'm thinkin' you're not going to be hearing from a lot of Traverse owners with the kind of towing experience you're looking for.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien