cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much clearance do you recommend when parking?

RVM5
Explorer
Explorer
Our family is convinced that our 21 foot (24 foot with rear slide out extended) travel trailer will fit in their driveway. We are getting a few more measurements, but at the moment it looks like we might only have 20 inches total clearance for the width, perhaps up to 32 inches total. We will be backing in from a large street but not with a driveway directly across. We were thinking we would be better off staying at an RV park due to concerns of not fitting, especially with the potential difficulties in maneuvering. Thoughts?
2008 Jayco Jay Feather 213 EXP
2012 Suburban 2500
33 REPLIES 33

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmmm - not so sure about that bush in the back. I'd still use a line level. Lumber can be warped. I wouldn't be concerned about the slope. Doesn't look much worse than mine - but you will have fun with your WDH, hooking more than unhooking. I'm also guessing no extending slide outs too. The kids might have a better time at a CG.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RVM5
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
I'm assuming the driveway is slanting away from the house, but 8 inches over 9 feet? Put a string on the low side and get a line level. Strech it across to level and get the measurement at the place where the tires would be. I can't believe it's 8 inches. Also, tour TT's door(s) would be opening on the house side - enough room? Get your family to snap some pictures - would help. And be sure to post some pictures of your TT parked in that space.

It is slanting away from the house. The house is on a hill. They took a piece of lumber and put it on the low side, used a level to determine the amount of height needed to level on the other side. At lowest it was 5 inches and highest 8 inches, but we're trying to prepare for the worst case. I expect it will be closer to 5 inches. The door will open over the yard near the bush.

Here is a picture.
2012 Suburban 2500

Explorer II
Explorer II
crickeydog wrote:
Been there and done that...once. That was enough. Go to an RV CG. Trust me on this one. You'll be glad you did.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
X2
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVM5 wrote:
And the latest update is that although we were originally told the driveway is level, it isn't level. In actually measuring it, it is actually at a 4-5 degree angle. That means we will be needing to have one side of the camper up 6-8 inches with a wheel base of ~7.5 feet. I'm not sure we're up for that. We have leveled going up about 3-4 inches before, but that height seems like a lot. We'd need to figure out how to cut and set up lumber to get it up that high.

Hmmm? I wish it was simpler. Would you just angle the edge of the lumber and make sure you have enough for that height? What angle would you cut the edge of the lumber? Or would you give up and go to an RV park?
I'm assuming the driveway is slanting away from the house, but 8 inches over 9 feet? Put a string on the low side and get a line level. Strech it across to level and get the measurement at the place where the tires would be. I can't believe it's 8 inches. Also, tour TT's door(s) would be opening on the house side - enough room? Get your family to snap some pictures - would help. And be sure to post some pictures of your TT parked in that space.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Go to an RV park. We have found that although family and friends are generous with their thoughts of letting you park in their driveway, they really don't have a clue on size and requirements. We once were offered a driveway that had a very low power line over it. No way would we fit under it.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RVM5
Explorer
Explorer
And the latest update is that although we were originally told the driveway is level, it isn't level. In actually measuring it, it is actually at a 4-5 degree angle. That means we will be needing to have one side of the camper up 6-8 inches with a wheel base of ~7.5 feet. I'm not sure we're up for that. We have leveled going up about 3-4 inches before, but that height seems like a lot. We'd need to figure out how to cut and set up lumber to get it up that high.

Hmmm? I wish it was simpler. Would you just angle the edge of the lumber and make sure you have enough for that height? What angle would you cut the edge of the lumber? Or would you give up and go to an RV park?
2012 Suburban 2500

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
From your diagram I see the tongue is right at the edge of the sidewalk. Just make sure it doesn't protrude at all into the public space.

DutchStar38
Explorer
Explorer
Here is where I park.

Ronny & Lynda
Sammy (Brussells Griffon/Maltese mix)
TJ (Micro Teacup 2.1 lbs Poodle)
2005 Newmar DutchStar 3809 DP
2002 HarleyDavidson Ultra

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
RVM5 wrote:
We've discussed that they'll need to chat with the neighbors about it. From looking at the laws there, the only restriction is that you can't park in the same place on the street for >72 hours.

No neighborhood covenants restricting an RV/camper in the driveway? Especially ones that are being lived in?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

RVM5
Explorer
Explorer
The driveway is very level. The furnace won't be running much as the weather will be cool but mild. I think we'll have enough clearance from the house for the furnace, but we'll be mindful of it. The door will be over the yard of our family's house. We've discussed that they'll need to chat with the neighbors about it. From looking at the laws there, the only restriction is that you can't park in the same place on the street for >72 hours. Thanks for all of the thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks everyone.
2012 Suburban 2500

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
Level enough to run your fridge? Looking at the drawing you will be parking along the front yard and not the house. Then, it would be ok to fire up the furnace if needed. if you had to park inches from a house and use the furnace, the discharge will burn the house siding.
Full timing it since July 2012

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I would do it in a heartbeat. Depends on your skill and confidence. Take your time and have a good spotter. On tight maneuvers, I like to use cell phones when talking to my spotter on the blind side. If you are reasonably good at it, from your drawing looks it like plenty of room.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
As someone else mentioned, I would have them check to be sure if you are allowed to park it there and I would also check with that neighbor as you will be awful close.

The only other issue I would see would be that it the driveway righ up next to the house and only a little space to spare, will you be able to open the door up to go in and out?

You have a road that is 51' wide to use to back in. That's a lot and a blessing.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
When you arrive, be going from left to right. Smack in the middle of the street. Gives more room to maneuver.

You get three shots at it before neighbors will come out and mock you!