Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Introduction and Hello

Len_in_PHoenix
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all -

My wife and I bought our first travel trailer today. We live in PHoenix and have been tent camping out of the back of a Jeep for decades and finally decided to come in out of the rain.

Thank you to all who have posted tips and tricks here...I've already spent quite a bit of time on the forums and have learned quite a bit.

Stupid newbie questions will be inbound shortly. Right now we're peering into empty cabinets and making lists.

Cheers!

2006 Pioneer 180CK, dragged by a 1997 F250 Powersmoke
17 REPLIES 17

Len_in_PHoenix
Explorer
Explorer
Our first trip is going to be here: Tilted Earth Wine & Music Festival

Yesterday's additions were a portable front yard (6x8 piece of astroturf), an outlet polarity tester, and a stack of bins and totes to put little stuff in.

Today's newbie question: should the water heater be drained prior to traveling to reduce strain on the water heater mounts? It's only a 6 gallon unit, but that's still almost 50 pounds of water.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You'll really enjoy the trailer. Your first trip needs to be up in the Arizona Rim Country to get out of the Phoenix heat! ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Len_in_PHoenix
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks John - Good catch on the breakaway cable. I didn't think about the hitch itself coming off. I'll have to move the control box closer to the hitch in order for the cable to reach the truck, but that's not that big a deal. I'll make it part of the project to upgrade from a single battery to dual batteries.

We went driveway camping last night and spent our first night in the trailer. It's just like home....my wife was hot, I was cold. Situation normal.

Today was The Great WalMart Run. Two carts and $500 later we have everything on the first list. At the moment it's all just piled into a couple of the storage spaces. The plan is to make a weekend trip to Cottonwood in June and sort everything out as we use it.

Have a great week!

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it were mine I'd change the location of the break a way cable (the red coiled cable)I'd attach it to the truck if for some reason the hitch came off or broke nothing would put the trailer brakes on. I'd attach the safety chains to the truck and pull ahead till they were tight. Then adjust the break a way cable to pull the pin 2 " before the chains were tight. Then If some thing happened the trailer brakes would come on slowing the truck and trailer before the trailer tongue dropped to the road .
I do the same thing to my toad I pull behind the MH then the toad brakes are on and the toad is not running into the back of there MH if the toad came undone
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our first TT was a Pioneer 19T4 back in 2003. It was a great trailer. I really liked the quality Fleetwood built into an "entry level" trailer. Especially enjoyed the large tanks, enclosed belly and large bathroom. Ours had a dresser that went all the way across the front of the trailer which provided lots of storage. The only thing we didn't like was no inside seating besides the dinette. Here in the Great Northwet we sometimes have days where we have to be inside, especially in the Fall and Winter. Hopefully this will work out well for you! Congrats!
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum and you're going to have a lot of fun. Looks like you've got it set up about right without getting into all the exact measurements. Also disregard us if we get cranky on here sometimes, it is an opinion based forum.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Congrats on the new setup. Sounds like your setup is perfect for now, good braking and tows well. That's all that matters.
Trailer being parallel to the road....or level is only super important if you have torsion spring axles on the trailer. If you have leafs, a little up or down is not a big deal.
Your truck should handle that to due weight easily and without much or any weight distribution, so good job. Throw some bacon and biscuits in it and go camping!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking good... I like your trailer choice which is just the right size... You should be able to pull this trailer all over North and East Arizona in the high country camp spots..

Like you I did many TENT camping trips in the 60s and 70s in my case with my trusty ole Jeep pulling a utility trailer with all my Tent and supplies. We really had fun when several other Jeeps doing the same thing joined us... Tent camping around the Sedona Red Rocks was a sight to see waking up with the sun just hitting the red rock canyons there... My real love for camping was the Flagstaff areas. I would stay for a couple of weeks at time around there...

We eventually moved out of the Arizona area and now live on the East side of the USA. Our love is our OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer and have pulled this trailer all over the East and South coast areas and as far West as Texas and Oklahoma. We camp alot in the local SKYLINE DRIVE and north end of the Blue Ridge Parkway... The high country just West of Harrisonburg along the wooded high country of Virginia and West Virginia state border line is perfect being just a close drive away from us here in Northern Neck Virginia country.

You can always spot the old tent campers haha... They all have the best camp spot setups with outside living in mind...

I consider myself an RV CAMPER and never got into RV TRAVELER mode... My working years filled all of that gap which covered Georgia to California working on Electronic systems for the DOD. This got me back to Arizona many times as late as October 2010... We always rented Jeeps or Trucks when working in Arizona so we could do the high country camping on the weekends...

Have fun with your new camper and on your next trip to the Apache Trail head think about us haha... Your trailer will look great sitting in the Lost Dutchman State Park and Tortilla Flat areas... However going down the Fish Canyon and winding loop back dirt roads north of all of that you are on your own haha... That almost qualifies as JEEP country...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Len,

To date, I have had, used and driven an armload of electric brake controllers. The last one I really liked was the Kelsey Hayes that had to get tied into a brake hydraulic line. That was late 60s.

I hope you find a setting that you like, but remember that they are adjustable because they can't always be right.

You have the LDS (load distributing hitch) often still referred to a a "Reese" hitch though they were not the first, just the most marketed - set up about right. The ride of many TVs gets better with those and I am glad that they are now so popular.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome aboard. There is nothing wrong with your rig being level. It looks great IMHO. Yes you will see a lot of people towing " wrong" when it comes to that. Some just won't make the changes to lift the trailer or truck to accomplish that. End result is not tracking correctly and putting more stress on the tires and axles.

We have had two travel trailers and four fifth wheels and towed with every thing from a jeep, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and a one ton dually. I can tell you I could never get the brake controller set to be exactly the way I liked it. It was one of my pet peeves back in the day. We now own a MH and the worries are gone.

Great looking setup ... Have fun!!

Len_in_PHoenix
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning everyone, and thank you for the welcome.

icanon - Yes, it looks that way to me also. I asked about the nose high appearance after the dealer set up the hitch and was told that a) it's an optical illusion and the trailer/truck are level, and b) everyone else is doing it wrong. :h

I can tell you that it follows wonderfully at 65mph with no sway or bouncing. The truck rides quite a bit better with the trailer on than it does empty. It may be that the hitch and sway bar are covering up a set up that would wag all over the place with a standard hitch.

My plan is to spend some time experimenting with the hitch height after loading the truck and trailer to see what actually works best. I'll try it this way for a bit to establish a baseline and then drop the hitch down a notch and reset the tension with a tape measure.

My first real question is about the brake controller. My dad taught me to pull a trailer by setting a full coffee cup on the dashboard and throwing a fit if any of it spilled. This was in a '71 Mercury station wagon towing a trailer with surge brakes. The result is that I use the gears to slow down as much as possible and the throttle/brake transitions are very smooth. I have to have the Prodigy P2 dialed up to 6.5 and set to B3 in order to get the brake feel I like. Is it possible that the smoothness of the transitions are "fooling" the inertia mechanism in the Prodigy and requiring what appears to me to be a setting higher than normal on the controller?

By the way, the trailer brakes will stop the entire rig without using the service brakes on the truck if I hit the panic bar on the controller, so they seem to be fine.

Cloughfam
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome and congrats on new purchase.....have fun making memories with it!!!
2011 Jayco JayFlight 25BHS
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X2 HEMI
Me, the wife, 2 sons...

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your rig, you will love it.
Don't hesitate to ask questions. At one time none of us knew anything about RV's.
Enjoy your travels.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome, Len! (I'm taking the liberty to welcome you, even though Mrs. S. and I are only about a month ahead of you.) I could have written almost the same thing a month ago except we moved up to our new TT from a popup.

Like you, I've been enjoying the forums here.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB