cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it possible to drain waste ?

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible to drain waste tank without the sewer hose? Just let it drain to the ground

I know it's disgusting but will the waste like urine come out even without the sewer hose?
52 REPLIES 52

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally, I like having the clear elbow on our outlet. You still get to watch all the "stuff" come out without getting it all over your feet. Too bad they don't make clear sewer hoses so you really have a show to watch, lol...

We were at a Thousand Trails CG once and started to dump at the dump station, and in the blink of an eye, it was backing up all over the dang place. Do you know how hard it is to reach under and shut the valve off when it's coming out full force all over the place a few feet away?? Managed to escape getting it on me. Barely... What a stink and sorry mess. Maintenance dude was nearby and came over and said "no problem, that happens once in a while"! He just got the hose out and flushed it away to the side, "logs" and all! OMFG. Nice to know it can happen there and thanks for the warning. Just the kind of thing that could probably only happen at a Thousand Trails CG. :M

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, the proper answer (as is often the case) is: It depends!
I can't do that in my coach, it would fill the wet bay with a mess, before it drained out the hole in the bottom of the bay. I absolutely HAVE to use at least a short piece of hose to direct the "stuff" out of the bay. If I am going to connect a short hose, I might as well use the long one and do it right!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Shaw wrote:
There are some dump station that are configured where you could do that, but the effluent comes-out pretty fast, and splashes all over the place, and makes a mess. Cleaning-up by hosing the area down takes more effort and time than just going ahead and using the slinky. I know this because someone ahead of me did it and did not clean-up after himself.

Yes, I have been to a campground that just had a grate to dump onto/into. You just pulled up, lined up the waste pipe, and opened up. Hosed things off afterwards -- rather gross spraying the "stuff" down between the grates. Using a slinky... that would just have gotten the slinky covered in "stuff", and wouldn't have helped in any way that I could think of. Oh, and I have not been back to that campground!

I also did see someone just open up the pipe at a normal dump station at a state park. A Ranger ended up coming over, not too happy, to explain to the person what to do (I arrived near the end of the situation). The person was new, and honestly did not know what to do.

To the original poster, there is no reason why it wouldn't "work" to just open the pipe without a slinky, but unless it is a special circumstance (like an outdated dump station that I won't go to again!) there really is no reason to not use a slinky.

mikensallyt
Explorer
Explorer
OMG. You must be kidding me. Use the hose lol. We raised eight children and I had no problems with me cleaning them. Even their smelly vomit. I didn't test my first new hose before we went to dump. Basically we had a small air leak and that is the grossest smell in the world. I surely lost my gag reflex that one time. I even tossed all my clothes on the MH steps into a big plastic bag and got rid of that also. Never again. When I lived in Alaska this was the best fertilizer around. How do you think they grow such large veggies? Of course you had steps to follow to make sure it was safe for crops and veggies. NO MORE. But on the other side my gray tank goes onto my yard as does my kitchen drain and washer drains. I've got no mosquitos, fleas or ticks in my yard btw, plus no smell.
Retired USN 1996, RMCS(SW/AW)
Traveling solo in my 2015 Thor Challenger since my wife of 25 years went solo to the Lord
Seems like every trip out there's a warranty repair on it afterwards
F/T in two years from now. Last child to graduate first.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Saw someone angle their TT over a pit at a dump station, and let rip. Apparently the trailer owners thought that is how it was done. I saw that, and just rented an empty campsite just for the purpose of dumping, just so I'd not to have to deal with a fouled up dump station.

BigSur2
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody that stupid deserves a good slap.
BigSur2
2016 Jayco White Hawk 33RSKS

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
There are some dump station that are configured where you could do that, but the effluent comes-out pretty fast, and splashes all over the place, and makes a mess. Cleaning-up by hosing the area down takes more effort and time than just going ahead and using the slinky. I know this because someone ahead of me did it and did not clean-up after himself.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
thehippie wrote:
bsinmich wrote:
Some rock star did that on a bridge over the Chicago river a few years back and the people on the tour boat below got showers. When I drove tour buses that was the method used but they were over floor grates made for that purpose.

DAVE MATTHEWS BAND!

thehippie wrote:
Effy wrote:

Actually watched a guy do this once at a dump station. Got near the inlet, opened up and let it rip. Picked up a stick to help "guide" the mess into the hole. Pretty awful smell. I think he had flip flops on. It was so bad I left before dumping my tanks and did it another place. There is a difference between not knowing how to do something and stupid.

LOL

After 2 weeks and this is ALL you have to comment on :H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Actually watched a guy do this once at a dump station. Got near the inlet, opened up and let it rip. Picked up a stick to help "guide" the mess into the hole. Pretty awful smell. I think he had flip flops on. It was so bad I left before dumping my tanks and did it another place. There is a difference between not knowing how to do something and stupid.
LOL

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:
Some rock star did that on a bridge over the Chicago river a few years back and the people on the tour boat below got showers. When I drove tour buses that was the method used but they were over floor grates made for that purpose.
DAVE MATTHEWS BAND!

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:

You sure that stick wasn't his marshmallow cooker?

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
2013 ACE 29.2

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
This topic is almost as good as a Walmart thread. 4 pages worth already. It has drawn them in like flys round, um, well, you know, that stuff.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

BigSur2
Explorer
Explorer
This was a good Monday morning coffee read. Now I'm going to go pull the valve on my butt.....I have a toilet though ๐Ÿ˜‰
BigSur2
2016 Jayco White Hawk 33RSKS