cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Trailer Life a Recommended Read?

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone here subscribe to Trailer Life magazine? I was just wondering if it's a worthwhile subscription. I've been a long time (40 years) reader of Popular Mechanics and learned quite a bit about home and auto maintenance there. While it's not the magazine it used to be, PM is still not bad. Is TL similar, but more focused on RV issues?
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk
31 REPLIES 31

rc135raven
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks, have you forgotten the "Problem Resolution" section? They (Trailer Life) have helped many people (myself included) obtain help or recoup money from dishonest companies. I get kick out of how cooperative some companies are when this magazine goes public with our otherwise ignored letters.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say that if you're a beginner RVer Trailer Life would be of interest to you for a year or two. It would probably also make you want to get a new trailer by looking at the ads and articles of new ones that come out. 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not much to it now other than GS and CW ads.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too much advertising and then articles praising TL and CW.

I let my subscription go years ago. Last time I saw a copy, it was no better.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

FKT4387
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the comments. If your subscription is free or fairly low it is worthwhile. Some issues better than others. Until I find a better magazine that caters to RVing this is for me. It is a good easy read.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I subscribed to TL for several years. I let it go this year because we won't be home enough to make it worth while. If you are looking for the in depth info some people seem to expect, I suggest getting a few of those fascinating engineering text books. If you just want a light read with some opinions and floor plans, a few ideas on fun things to do and places to go then it's pretty good, IMO. There are a lot of letters on things that some may find elementary, but it helps some people. I don't think it's meant to be a technical publication and to me they don't try to be, just try to answer a few simple questions. I find it entertaining

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I subscribed to Trailer Life for several years, then one day realized there was really nothing "new" or "fresh" in it any more. I let my subscription die then but occasionally pick one up from the book store magazine section. Maybe I've been an RVer too long, but I don't find too much really "new or fresh" even now.

I think if you are new to RVing and travel trailers, it's a pretty good magazine to have for a couple or three years. As you age in experience with your RV, you'll find surfing the internet and watching YouTube videos much more beneficial, because after 2 or 3 years of RVing, you'll interests and needs will begin to become more single focused, and the internet will let you search for those specific things you're looking for. Where as, the magazine is still general attempting to reach a wider audience.

So if you are a new RVer, yes, Trailer Life has a lot of value for a while. You can learn a lot and pick up a lot of ideas and find it very interesting. But don't be surprised or disappointed when all of a sudden it doesn't reach your needs of interest any more. When that happens, let the subscription die. Look for another source of "stimulation."

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Like others have stated: Less articles and more advertisements. But in the case of RVing sometimes there is something to be learned from advertisements.

Personally, I have not subscribed to a hardcopy magazine of any kind since the internet fully came of age.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have had a subscription for 2-3 years. When a copy arrives in the mail, I get all jacked up. Takes me about 5-10 minutes to scan it and afterwards I just wish we didn't have a subscription - not a whole lot to learn. Kinda like eating at McDonalds and regretting it later.

Too much superficial, useless and sometimes wrong or poor info. The write-ups on new RVs is all about how pretty the units are, about all the bling and the number & size of slideouts. No negative words. I find it irritating when they always answer readers letters and always start off with "Well Bob, ....") Articles about products are more like a sales pitch. Never an article from an outside independent product expert or professional. Never an article on how RVs are built, what parts and components are in them or how they compare between brands. Never anything on how warranty service compares between brands and how dealers compare on handling warranty claims. Etc., etc.

The articles about RV-ing destinations can be okay tho.

I'd rather read a mag. that has hardcore, in-depth technical articles, written by people that know what they are talking about and and aren't afraid to state the truth about products. I'd like to see articles on comparisons between products with close inspections and real world testing. I'd like to see the good and bad stated about different brands of RVs. Etc., etc.

The TL youtube vids are equally the same.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I started looking through my parents' copy of Trailer Life over 50 years ago. Enjoyed it very much. Less content and more advertising now, but I still enjoy it.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been a subscriber for many years and get enjoyment out of it. Some of the technical pieces are very well done and others not so much.
It will most often feature one review of a trailer and tow vehicle combination, tech articles about tires, engine improvements, GPS, etc. and usually at least one about a travel destination.

I don't find the advertising annoying, nor is it any more in abundance that any other magazine of the type. I actually learn quite a bit from the ads and will frequently go to a website suggested to learn more. 🙂

So, in my opinion, YES, Trailer Life would be a recommended read.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
It typically has some interesting content. Occupies about an hour of your time in a good issue.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have just extended our subscription for another 3 years and as a GS club member it cost just over $7 a year. Trailer Life is a good read and has interesting articles on RV travel destinations, upgrades and/or modifications, trailer reviews, and of course advertisements for everything RV. For about 3/4ths of a dollar it's enjoyable to peruse through for a couple of days.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We like it.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
5%-10% useful content
90%-95% advertising

If you are (or wish to be) a Good Sam member, it costs nothing to subscribe... and worth every penny of that. 😉 If you're not a member, it's not worth joining just to get the magazine IMO.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point