cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving outside camper lights on?

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
First time for us this weekend does anyone leave any of the outside camper lights on when they go to sleep
69 REPLIES 69

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

I do find it funny that people on threads concerned about theft are told it almost never happens, then are told leaving a small porch light on at night helps thieves see the stuff they are stealing from you.

Campsite thefts are relatively rare, but why add to the temptation?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Ed-N-Dani wrote:
2012Coleman, to be honest when the thread first started I thought sure...leave it on. Whats the big deal. I'm seeing it a little differently now after reading some of the posts. It also greatly depends where your camping. Ive been to CGs that they pack'em in so tight you cant hardly walk between and others where you couldn't hit the other with a rock.

Its a case by case situation is my final answer.

Ed
My comment was a tongue in cheek response to your statement of being half blind. But your right - a case by case situation.

I do find it funny that people on threads concerned about theft are told it almost never happens, then are told leaving a small porch light on at night helps thieves see the stuff they are stealing from you.

Amen Brother. That's funny right there
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Ed-N-Dani wrote:
2012Coleman, to be honest when the thread first started I thought sure...leave it on. Whats the big deal. I'm seeing it a little differently now after reading some of the posts. It also greatly depends where your camping. Ive been to CGs that they pack'em in so tight you cant hardly walk between and others where you couldn't hit the other with a rock.

Ed
My comment was a tongue in cheek response to your statement of being half blind. But your right - a case by case situation.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Ed-N-Dani
Explorer
Explorer

Ed
Please BUY AMERICAN MANUFACTURED PRODUCTS!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Ed-N-Dani wrote:
mich800 wrote:
Ed-N-Dani wrote:
DrewE wrote:
If you're outside and need light, go ahead and use the lights without being inconsiderate. That's kind of their purpose, after all--to light things up outside so you can see.

If the light is anything like the porch light on my RV, it might not make much of a difference for doing stuff outside. It's rather on the puny side. I keep a couple of those little round pop-up LED flashlights/lanterns near the door for actual outdoor eating, etc. when its dark.

Thanks for the chuckle brother, may have been the first time today I had a good smile on my face.

Ed

This must have been one of those heavily modded threads. I cannot figure out the humor, sarcastic or otherwise in this quoted post.

Yea, my bad. Quoted the wrong post. Need to stop doing it from my phone. I'm half blind.
Maybe you should leave your porch light on then...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Ed-N-Dani
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
Ed-N-Dani wrote:
DrewE wrote:
If you're outside and need light, go ahead and use the lights without being inconsiderate. That's kind of their purpose, after all--to light things up outside so you can see.

If the light is anything like the porch light on my RV, it might not make much of a difference for doing stuff outside. It's rather on the puny side. I keep a couple of those little round pop-up LED flashlights/lanterns near the door for actual outdoor eating, etc. when its dark.

Thanks for the chuckle brother, may have been the first time today I had a good smile on my face.

Ed

This must have been one of those heavily modded threads. I cannot figure out the humor, sarcastic or otherwise in this quoted post.

Yea, my bad. Quoted the wrong post. Need to stop doing it from my phone. I'm half blind.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Ed-N-Dani wrote:
DrewE wrote:

Ed

Ed-N-Dani
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, leave the outside lights on for security. You wouldn't want the crooks to trip over anything while they steal your stuff. They probably appreciate being able to see what you have out there too... [emoticon]

In case you couldn't tell, my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I wrote that! [emoticon]

Ed

*FIXED

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
JD and Beastlet wrote:
We turn on the marker lights at dusk to make it easier to find our site if we're coming from somewhere else in the dark, and to show off, of course. ๐Ÿ˜›

Ummm....you do know that ALL rvs have marker lights, don't you?

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
3boxerss wrote:
Unless you need the light outside I would turn them off. We were camping 2 weeks ago and the neighbors had their awing lights on flash mode and they flashed all nite. It was very annoying the light flashing all nite. WE ended up puttin a blanket over the window. Our camper is older and doesnt have blackout curtains. They were very nice the next day when we visited with them and politely asked if they could turn them off or at least off the flash mode the next nite.

It is truly amazing what a nice, friendly conversation can accomplish. I can't believe reading some of the reply's here that people would just up and leave a spot just because someone left their light on for one night. Maybe it was an accident, maybe they just didn't realize that it was bothering others. Take the time to talk to folks, there are plenty of people who have never owned an RV before and just don't realize they are bothering someone. If that doesn't work and the guy is an A-hole, then make alternate plans or deal with the situation another way.

3boxerss
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you need the light outside I would turn them off. We were camping 2 weeks ago and the neighbors had their awing lights on flash mode and they flashed all nite. It was very annoying the light flashing all nite. WE ended up puttin a blanket over the window. Our camper is older and doesnt have blackout curtains. They were very nice the next day when we visited with them and politely asked if they could turn them off or at least off the flash mode the next nite.
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite

drmopar
Explorer
Explorer
RV camping here in California at some of the lakes during summer you may see Rattlesnakes. My wife was returning from the restrooms when dark and thought a piece of rope was in the road. NOT-A big rattler! They love to soak in the heat at night on paved roads. I used a waterski to kill it. It was about 20 feet from our campsite. Our Toy Hauler has lights, (blue and white), under the chassis. At night I turn on the chassis lights in case we go outside. They do a good job to see what is under Trailer. It lights up all the area with no direct light in your eyes. When we go to bed I shut them off. Yes I have the "Scare Lights" on left side, right side, and in the back, and they are bright. I only use them if I need to see when backing in the dark, or securing site for the night. If you need lights at night, consider the under chassis lights. Mine came equipped from the factory. Thanks Forest River!

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please don't leave them on all night.
Consider your next door neighbor !

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I say it's up to you. Doesn't matter to me because I have eyelids. some must not the way the squawking goes on around here anytime the subject is mentioned.
It's no different than a S&B neigbor leaving their lights on.
Puma 30RKSS