Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Missed the bypass

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

After reading my manual and about a dozen threads here I winterized my camper this past weekend. In short I drained the FW tank, ran the pump until nothing but air was coming out, drained water heater, drained the plumping using low point drains and then pumped 50 PSI through lines for 30 minutes having just one exit point (faucet) open at a time. I could not find the bypass for HW heater but when I was done nothing but air was coming out any of the exit points (including low point drains). I then drained black / grey tanks and poured two gallons of pink stuff down drains and into black tank. It got down to 24 last night so I may be too late but what is the impact of not putting WH in bypass mode?
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro
13 REPLIES 13

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
"drained the plumping using low point drains"
This sounds like it should take care of the lines without any further action. Why not build RVs with low point drains that really work? Just a little more care in routing the lines should do it.

I'll be winterizing with pink stuff tomorrow.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1...if you didn't use anti freeze in the water lines there's no reason to bypass the water heater. Bypassing just stops you from filling the water heater with 5-6 gal of pink stuff. Without anti freeze there's still a chance that some remaining water that wasn't blown out could freeze, so I blow out my lines and use anti freeze to be safe.

Dennis M M wrote:
Should not be a problem, only reason to bypass the water heater is to avoid filling it with anti-freeze.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
50 psi is fine. The guy who uses 90 psi NEVER has all of the faucets closed at one time. While 1 faucet is open, he opens a second, then closes the first. With a faucet always open, the pressure in the water lines never rises near 90 psi.

My RV's manual says not to exceed 45 psi. When I bought a replacement water pump, it came set for 55 psi. I contacted Winnebago and they told me that was fine.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
Got the outdoor shower, toilet etc. too. The one surprise for me was how long it took for the air to clear ALL the water. Even at 50 psi with just one 'outlet' open at a time it seemed like it would never end ๐Ÿ˜‰ I think my manual said never to exceed 20 psi but I read someone on here has used 90 psi on thousands of rigs without a problem. Hopefully I didn't break anything, guess I'll find out in April! Thanks all.
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

rdmike
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis M M wrote:
Should not be a problem, only reason to bypass the water heater is to avoid filling it with anti-freeze.

X2 - all good.
Fleetwood Providence 39L
Ford Fiesta Toad
Retired, spending our winters in Thailand / spring - fall traveling the great USA

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
You don't say that you drained the WH? It's not likely that the air pressure took all the water out of the tank. I would pull the drain plug to be sure.

He did, in his first line.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

jules6
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an outdoor shower you must drain that also

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good did you allow air to come through the toilet valve as well as the faucets??

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say that you drained the WH? It's not likely that the air pressure took all the water out of the tank. I would pull the drain plug to be sure.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

jbrad13
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you did a terrific job winterizing your rig.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
There will be a small amount of water in bypass line between the bypass valve and connection to hot outlet line.

But even with freezing temps that water will have room to expand as it freezes.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing if no water in it