cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newb

patchelect
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are contemplating renting a TT. I've looked at this very helpful site for my answers but didn't find them, possibly because I tend not to see the obvious!

We boated with a large cruiser for years so the camping transition won't be difficult. What is looking like a problem will be matching vehicle to trailer. Initially we plan on renting a Class C Motorhome but also realize that the limitation of taking your bedroom to the store when you need a quart of milk. For that reason we're tossing around a TT. We're not going to replace a vehicle so I'm trying to determine my possibilities. We plan to always rent the trailer due to lack of storage areas but even if that changes we need a baseline as a starting point.

My planned tow vehicle is a 2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4X4 with a 3.9 V6 and an automatic and A/C. It does not have any factory tow package so I know I'll need to add a tranny cooler at the least and install a tow rig and wiring. But beyond that I'm having trouble determining a real world trailer that won't be a mistake. We don't expect a 28' luxo barge and can deal with much smaller. We'd like to be able to get out and about after landing and setting up. We have no plans on touring for extended periods which is another reason we only plan to rent.From what I can glean from the truck specs I have a 9200# gross vehicle weight total. The rear is 3.92. I'm looking at possibly towing something in the 17-19' range. I am in Massachusetts and travel will be likely limited to the Northeast.

This is all in the planning stage as retirement is being elusive but we do have the dream. I'll admit my trailer towing experiences are extremely limited although I know I can learn the nuances over time. I'm currently more interested in TV/TT match ups. The rest will come naturally.

Thanks in advance.
Paul
1969-1970 University of Viet Nam 11B. I was drafted. Agent Orange is still killing and maiming in Viet Nam.
17 REPLIES 17

LG61820
Explorer
Explorer
T@B-RV.com I am mightily interested in some of the models in this line of lightweight trailers.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a PUP with a 2001 Dakota extended cab an with the bed loaded for gear for a week long trip, it struggled on hills. Doable and safe but I would never have pulled a TT with it.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
With that low of miles, and I'll assume it's well maintained and in good shape, my answer changes a bit.
I still wouldn't go overboard on size and would try to stay at or under 4000lbs and as low profile as you can live with comfortably. But that truck has some good life in it.
Make sure it has a good aftermarket transmission cooler and good trailer brakes and happy camping!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

patchelect
Explorer
Explorer
No I do understand that.
Paul
1969-1970 University of Viet Nam 11B. I was drafted. Agent Orange is still killing and maiming in Viet Nam.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
patchelect wrote:
And also realize that we are talking travel trailers, not RV's.

Just for clarification, travel trailers ARE RVs.
So are 5th wheels, popups and truck campers.
The "RV" doesn't apply to just motorhomes.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

patchelect
Explorer
Explorer
Ro-sie,

I missed your post.

Realize that my intention is initially renting because we haven't decided to jump in with both feet yet. And also realize that we are talking travel trailers, not RV's. I fully appreciate the points you bring up and the logic for them. And if things work out I may actually buy something, but I am 10% certain that whatever it is it will be a trailer, not a Motor Home. Years ago I did rent Class A motor homes but only for a given week each year. And I know all about what works and doesn't even when rented from a supposedly reputable location. I vividly recall having breakfast in the home inside the device department of a dealership while they replaced the alternator.

Thanks for your input. I do appreciate all the points you raised.
Paul

patchelect
Explorer
Explorer
I actually looked on a Dakota site and discovered the towing capacity is in the VIN. Mine is factory rated at 5001-6000 pounds. Knowing that I can at least determine a "theoretical" sized trailer. I'm thinking something in the 2-2500# area would be relatively doable and still allow for the extra weights of water, waste, and "stuff".. Upgrading the mechanical systems of the truck is another issue that I am very aware I need to address, along with the proper tow hitch and mounting.

And thanks for the rvshare.com site. I've already found it a viable search location.

I have the winter for planning and prep!
Paul

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to rain on your parade. But, renting an RV is not cheap. So, if you are going to rent, why don't you instead rent a place to keep an rv that is yours. That way you have your own bed, no one else sleeping in it when you aren't and what dirt in it is your dirt. You know what it has, what it does, no guessing. You know what in it works or doesn't. Either way you are renting something, might as well be something more convienent.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
For rentals, check out rvshare.com. Your going to have to sink more than a trans cooler into your TV to make it suitable for towing. Research this site for posts on payload.

Good luck.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

patchelect
Explorer
Explorer
Cool. Thanks for the input.
Paul

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
patchelect wrote:
I'm not concerned about finding a rental as long as I know I can tow. At least initially renting is the logical way to determine if we will like it well enough to continue and then we can make a decision about ownership. And the limitations of the existing truck will be more easily rectified if we rent. Make a mistake and it's only a week before it goes back to mother.

Thanks to those who have input advice. I'm going to remain active in my research. I've already seen more than one post from someone who got a brand new tow vehicle with plans for a TT that would be far to large a load for the truck/SUV to pull. Since I already own my truck and have owned it since new, I'm looking to see the practicality of a trailer and what style would make sense. I spent over 40 years boating in vessels from a 22' sailboat up to a 36' cabin cruiser with twin engines so I know what limitations are and how to work around them, including holding tanks and water capacities.

Since you know about space limitations and boating take a good look at Casita, R-Pod, Alto Safari, Egg Camper, Scamp and maybe Airstream. All excepting maybe the Airstream weigh in at 2K lbs or less.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Agree that a pop up or hybrid would be best for your tow vehicle. Many of them are phenomenal in the way they use available space. Have fun, be safe, and go camping!!!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

patchelect
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not concerned about finding a rental as long as I know I can tow. At least initially renting is the logical way to determine if we will like it well enough to continue and then we can make a decision about ownership. And the limitations of the existing truck will be more easily rectified if we rent. Make a mistake and it's only a week before it goes back to mother.

Thanks to those who have input advice. I'm going to remain active in my research. I've already seen more than one post from someone who got a brand new tow vehicle with plans for a TT that would be far to large a load for the truck/SUV to pull. Since I already own my truck and have owned it since new, I'm looking to see the practicality of a trailer and what style would make sense. I spent over 40 years boating in vessels from a 22' sailboat up to a 36' cabin cruiser with twin engines so I know what limitations are and how to work around them, including holding tanks and water capacities.
Paul

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
Renting TT's will limit your options greatly, AND over time the models available are going to change.

You can find 17' fully self contained TT's that should tow okay with that rig, I originally towed the one in my sig with V6 Nissan Frontier and it handled it well enough (although struggled on steeper mountain inclines). However there are trade-offs, holding tank sizes tend to be small (and way overstated by manufacturer in my case) and cargo capacity will of course be smaller as well.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT