Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie looking to buy first....well I'm not sure

AGC
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all
I'm new to RV'ing and have so many questions that I would love to ask but my first one is probably the most important one…..Should I buy an RV or a travel trailer?

I've NEVER owned an RV/TT before, neither did my parents or my in-laws; so we have NO experience with RV/TT.

My wife and I have two boys and we've done several tent camping (with our SUV parked next to us) over the past few years. We’re definitely not experts but the one thing that we realized is our family loves being outdoors and enjoys camping so over the last couple of years we've done trips to Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and Nova Scotia. As much as we could we tried staying in campgrounds (tent or cabins) as well as hotels. My wife and I decided that we wanted to get an RV/TT to travel more with the kids before they get too old and don't want to go on vacation with us anymore. Below are some of our reasons for buying a RV/TT

1. We don’t really like staying in cabins/hotels because we don’t like using (i.e. sleeping, etc.) other people’s things (i.e. blankets, sheets, etc.)
2. Cost saving as we could eat some meals in the RV/TT, when staying in hotels we eat out EVERY meal
3. More comfortable (and safer) than tent camping
4. We can take the dog with us (also a cost saving)

We figured we try a TT first as it’s a cheaper investment and since we already have a full size SUV we don’t need to buy a tow vehicle. The one thing I love about RVs is the ability to walk go to the back and grab food/drinks/etc., where as in a TT you cannot. We are planning on several national park trips over the next few years (i.e. Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc.) and would love to do the trip with an RV/TT. We might also use it for trips to Disney, Hershey Park, etc.

Sorry for the long message, but wanted to give you some background about my family.
30 REPLIES 30

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
rfryer wrote:
Just a comment to correct a misstatement in packpe89’s post that most campgrounds in Yellowstone don’t allow PU’s. Only one campground there doesn’t allow canvas and that’s Fishing Bridge. You wouldn’t want to stay there anyway with a PU; it resembles an RV storage lot. But it’s the only campground with HU’s.

This is correct. Lots of misinformation out there regarding Yellowstone and popups and hybrid TT's. And if you have a hybrid, if you "turtle", you can stay at Fishing Bridge.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Either one if you buy used now In the fall/winter and shop around for a deal, will not depreciate really after a years use. So if you don't like it, sell it and you're not out much $.
Kids love the MH because they think they can run around while on the road. If you allow that it makes for easier road trips but it ain't legal. (Not saying it bothers me personally.)
My kids wish we had a MH for that reason alone.
A TT like you said will be cheaper and you have one less vehicle to maintain a drivetrain in.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
OP, see a couple of folks on here recommending popups, and like them I had one when the kids were smaller. They are smaller and easier to tow, but my experience was both kids had to share a bed -- which was not their favorite thing. In fact, that was the cause of many arguments between them. Another thing was it seemed that we always had to pack up when it was wet-- either from heavy dew or rain and then open it back up at home to dry. another thing is you have to open it up to store anything in it for the trip. I love taking my clothes from house closet to TT without packing. throw my shorts and socks in a reusable shopping bag and I am ready to go. My bath supplies/towels/pots and pans stay in TT. With two small children, you might appreciate the ease of loading. I remember packing the PU late at night after the kids had gone to bed so I didn't have to deal with them while I was opening popup, loading and the closing it back up. And then someone had to entertain/keep an eye on the kids while trying to set up camp. Guess I am lazy, but I sure wouldn't want to do that again.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
Just a comment to correct a misstatement in packpe89’s post that most campgrounds in Yellowstone don’t allow PU’s. Only one campground there doesn’t allow canvas and that’s Fishing Bridge. You wouldn’t want to stay there anyway with a PU; it resembles an RV storage lot. But it’s the only campground with HU’s.

I recommended a TT over an RV and still do, but I think a PU is a viable option. Many of us went from tents to a PU to a TT or other RV type. I used one for many years and camped all over the country with two and often three kids and have no complaints at all. If you think that might be an option do a lot of reading about the different types of RVs and the pros and cons of each.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Eliminate tent trailers if you would like to try out late fall, winter, or early spring camping which is really wonderful.
Personally if I would look at a Class C or an A with bunks. Craiglist or RV trader could be a friend. Also check out any up and coming RV shows in your area, they start about now thru winter.

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
We went from tent to pop-up to TT. My advice, since you already have a tow vehicle, go with a trailer and I'd say get a bunkhouse. It's great not having to convert beds every day. We have three boys, each has their own bed. A popup is a great start, but when we planned our cross country trip, we did not want to have to pop-up every day. Also, most campgrounds in Yellowstone do not allow pop-ups (bears). Don't trust what your vehicle is supposed to tow.

I'd stay at around 75% of that figure. Also get a good hitch, sway/leveling.

As far as being able to move around while traveling, we like to stop at rest stops and just take a little break and make a sandwich. May change our mind when it's just two of us in a few years though.

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

I don't think anyone replying is against buying new. IMHO, it just makes more sense for a newbie. I would qualify that by saying that if you're not a tinkerer or not mechanically inclined at all, then having something with a warranty and a good relationship with a dealer nearby is for you.

That was a lot of it for us.

We work all week at office jobs and my wife travels every week for work. We don't want to waste time tinkering with a used RV. Hell, we don't even clean our own house or mow our own lawn.

The convenience is worth the expense to us, as was buying a new RV with two years of warranty.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Mama wrote:
We went from a tent to a popup with grade school kids. We made it work and it was so much better than the tent! Went from TX to Washington, DC & then another trip to Yellosstone with teenagers plus weekend & shorter trips. We finally moved up to a used 5th wheel w/o slides after kids got in college . As our first self contained unit, it was a great one to figure out what we wanted . Find something u can pull safely, go & learn from it while making memories with your kids!

I agree about the pop up...it's where we started back in 2000. Even bought a used one that we were going to use last year (had TT stored at beach 4 hrs away), but we traded both in on the Motorhome. A lot of people on here will stick their nose up to the thought of one, but to those who have had them, most will tell you they had great experiences with them, especially with thier kids. It's a good step up from the tent and sleeping on the ground. The beds are comfy and they have fridges. stoves, sinks, etcWe lived in Georgia when we had ours and the A/C would freeze you. You literally can spend $5000 and get a decent used one. Or spend 2-3 times as much for a new one. It will be great for you for towing. With the SUV, you will have room for storing stuff. Give it a season or two to see how you like it. It will give you more time to decide what's important for you. You may be in a different situation then and need to make change to your ideas.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a tent to a popup with grade school kids. We made it work and it was so much better than the tent! Went from TX to Washington, DC & then another trip to Yellosstone with teenagers plus weekend & shorter trips. We finally moved up to a used 5th wheel w/o slides after kids got in college . As our first self contained unit, it was a great one to figure out what we wanted . Find something u can pull safely, go & learn from it while making memories with your kids!
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
AGC wrote:

1. We don’t really like staying in cabins/hotels because we don’t like using (i.e. sleeping, etc.) other people’s things (i.e. blankets, sheets, etc.)
2. Cost saving as we could eat some meals in the RV/TT, when staying in hotels we eat out EVERY meal
3. More comfortable (and safer) than tent camping
4. We can take the dog with us (also a cost saving)

All good reasons to RV EXCEPT for your #2.

Most of us have learned that overall, you will not save money by using an RV for your traveling. Factor in ALL the costs.

Not trying to discourage you in any way. We RV for many reasons, but saving money is not one of them.

Go for it, you and your family will not regret it.

Agree....if you are thinking of purchasing an RV to save money, then think again. It will take a lot of usage over years to even start to try and break even. Unless you are living in it and you are not paying a mortgage on a real home. You will also find yourself eating out time to time while RVing. That's actually part of the fun.

Costs to think about with an RV....
1) Do you already have a tow vehicle? Yes? Great! Do you normally use it for travel for the whole family? If Yes, then get ready for your gas mileage to go down. Depending on the size of the towable you get will depend on the dip in gas mileage which equals more cost for gas when traveling. If getting a motorhome, plan on around 8mpg unless you can buy a small one with a diesel enging which will give you a little better, but they cost a bit more.
2) Inusurance...depends on RV...
3) Registration and taxes (if applicable where you live).
4) Upkeep....maintenance...stuff breaks
5) Stocking...while many use extra stuff from home, there will probably be stuff you will buy just for it...and it's non stop...was in Ikea yesterday and several times we thought of stuff for the motorhome.
6) campground costs...while cheaper than a hotel, they can not be overlooked.
7) Almost forgot about the actual cost of the unit you buy. Paying cash outright? Great, you can save on the interest. How much you plan on spending? Financing it?

RVing is great, but it's not a savings unless you do it full time...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think a trailer is a great choice. As others have stated, you will not save money using an RV. I have done a lot of calculations and I only saved money with the RV on one trip. However, I would not give up the experience for anything. I want to sleep in my own bed and be able to cook my own meals. You can also park in places where there is no hotel.

As far as what to purchase, you want to take the dry weight of the trailer and add about 1000 pounds for your stuff. You need to add the weight of your and your kids and gear in the truck. You do not want the total weight to be close to the weight limit the truck can pull. You want a little breathing room. We purchased a trailer and we were close to the limit. It worked but the truck had to work hard out west going up and down hills. We moved to a diesel that could pull more weight and things were much easier.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
A TT is an RV. Motorhomes, TTs, Popups, Hybrids and truck campers all fit the category. Each one has their true supporters. We have had all but a truck camper and like the motorhomes best. I have a 38. Mountain Aire and a 19' RoadTrek. I am going to keep the one I like best. I just got the RoadTrek last week for solo travel. It sure lacks a lot compared to a luxury Class A.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Common sense dictates that you buy a new mattress when you buy a used rig. I'm not sure what the skeeve factor is on the dinette cushions, but recovering the cushion pales in price when compared to the first year depreciation on a new coach.

I don't think anyone replying is against buying new. IMHO, it just makes more sense for a newbie. I would qualify that by saying that if you're not a tinkerer or not mechanically inclined at all, then having something with a warranty and a good relationship with a dealer nearby is for you.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I am one who goes a bit against the grain and advises buying new, with one caveat: do a year or more of research first and have a camping background.

Everyone told us to buy used when we were looking, but we were finding that we could get a new unit for only a few grand more than a gently used one, so we bought new. We were former tent campers, so we figured out exactly what we wanted in a TT and have had no regrets.

The small problems we have had were fixed by the dealer under warranty. I just liked having that peace of mind and was willing to pay extra for it.

My wife also didn't like the idea of sleeping on a mattress, sitting on a dinette and sofa, or sitting on a toilet that other people have already used.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI