cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil Change

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda new to the cross country RVing. We are leaving May 2nd for 3 & 1/2 months on a trip to the west coast and back across Canada. It will be around 9,000 miles total. My question is about getting the oil changed in a 36' gas RV that is 12' tall.

What are the best places do this? Truck stops, dealerships? Or do you do it yourself and if so, how do you dispose of the old oil properly? At home I do this myself but have no idea about on the road.

Thanks.
2018 Tiffin 34PA
2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailblazer

David & Ellen
Foley AL
46 REPLIES 46

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
dons2346 wrote:
If you are worried, change the oil before you leave, keep it filled on the trip, and change it when you get home.

Read your owners manual and see what it says. The days of 3,000 mile oil changes went the way of the dodo bird

Sure, and the days of engine issues due to extended oil change intervals is just beginning. See it all the time. 7-12k miles on an oil change will cause issues down the road. Not worth the gamble. I would t recommend going more than 5k miles.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
If you are worried, change the oil before you leave, keep it filled on the trip, and change it when you get home.

Read your owners manual and see what it says. The days of 3,000 mile oil changes went the way of the dodo bird

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
azrving wrote:
magicbus wrote:
Honestly, who wants to change their oil themselves while on the road. Check out Jiffy Lube. They are everywhere, have pits and tall garages.

Dav

I do, no stripped plug, no double gasket, no loose filter and NO cheap oil.

And no BS about needing all kinds of additional stuff. After the way they abused my aged parents, they will never see a dime from me.

Oh, you mean when they stand there showing you a perfect air filter that has 13,000 miles on it and they broke the latching clips when ripping the filter cover off. 🙂

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
magicbus wrote:
Honestly, who wants to change their oil themselves while on the road. Check out Jiffy Lube. They are everywhere, have pits and tall garages.

Dav

And no BS about needing all kinds of additional stuff. After the way they abused my aged parents, they will never see a dime from me.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:

Dav

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
10,000 miles? I would just top it off as needed and keep rollin'.

Note to self....do not by any of “time2roll’s” used vehicles!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer

Dav
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have only gone to 3 places with my Workhorse
Campign world 99 dollars and they put in the wrong oil. never again will they do that to me.

A Workhorse authorized service center (Dealer with a TALL door) Slid under on a crawler and Never lifted the RV As I recall about 65 dollars give or take a couple not sure if full or semi-synthetic.

An RV dealer Same method. Semi-synthetic. Same price.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fumoto valve on my CTD which let's me dump directly into the empty gallon jugs that I bring along. I hold a plastic garbage bag over the filter while I remove it and then take the jugs to a place like O'Reilly's.

Draining the filter on to firewood makes greater fire starter.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
My advice would be to use a mobile RV maintenance service once you reach your halfway destination. We used one just like this one several years ago while we were in Texas and were completely satisfied. They come to your location and change oil, grease, etc. with very reasonable prices. Often, you can inquire at the campground office and, if they allow it, will have a recommendation of a good place to call.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the valve that replaces the drain plug the one with a nipple to attach a plastic drain tube. Get one or two empty jugs. Drain the oil into the jugs. Take a large freezer bag put it over the oil filter unscrew the filter the oil will drain into the bag. Drain the bag into one of the jugs and toss the bag and filter. Fill with new oil. Take the jugs to an auto parts store. You're done.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
10,000 miles? I would just top it off as needed and keep rollin'.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Often you can get a mobile mechanic to come to your campsite and do for you. Just google "mobile mechanic" when you decide it's time. Usually they are very reasonably priced.
2010 Suncruiser

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
Some Walmarts have a bay high enough. Walmart also accepts used oil if you change it yourself.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Places such as Great Canadian Oil Change. But bring your own oil--much much much cheaper.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.