Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Planning a 3 week trip (with an RV) on the east coast

Eric123
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

My name is Eric and I'm from the Netherlands (Europe) and me and 5 of my friends are planning to spend a 3 weeks vacation in the USA from on and about 21st of May till 9th of June. 4 of us have been in the USA several times so in terms of flights, passports and other official documents we know. That's not what this topic is about. Its about the trip itself and I'm looking at how realistic it is and if I can obtain advice on here.

So our plan is to go from Washington to New Orleans and on to Miami. So we land in Washington (from Amsterdam) and spend around 3 days in Washington. There we want to see the Lincoln memorial, visit the Smithsonian and so on... So no RV required in those days. After we leave Washington we plan to pick up the RV we want to rent.

So first question: What type of RV would you recommend for 6 adults (we are all 25 to 28 years old). Since we are Dutch we are on average taller than the average American. Maybe important to take into account? We all have a normal Dutch drivers license which as far as I know is sufficient in the USA for a RV.

So to continue with the trip; after Washington we want to go to Norfolk Virginia, we want to see, briefly, the museum battleship which is in harbor there. After that we plan to travel over chapil hill/boon (university of north Carolina) and on to Ashville. Some of my friends know people there so that's why. We also plan to see the Smokey mountains national park. After this we want to travel on to Charleston and Savannah (south Carolina and Georgia). We would like to see Charleston for its history and nice scenery of course. So here we'd like to enter the city. As for Savannah, that will mainly be a relaxing stop, beach and such.

After this we want to drive on to New Orleans. We really have no real plans yet for in between though we really don't want to go to Atlanta.

After New Orleans we want to go yo Florida, via tallahasee to Miami. We also want to visit the everglades national park. At Miami we want to return the RV and take a flight home to Amsterdam.

So my other main questions:
- how realistic is this trip with an RV for us?

- if its okay, what kind of RV would you suggest?

- any suggestions for our route? Any don't or do's?

- can you suggest campinggrounds we should plan in our route? And why those and should we reserve and so on?

Any other thing related to RV, costs, campinggrounds, preparations are welcome!!!

Thanks in advance,

Eric
22 REPLIES 22

Eric123
Explorer
Explorer
Sharps45120 wrote:
Eric, it sounds like a wonderful trip, but please read reviews of the units that CruiseAmerica and other RV rental places utilize. I've read some horrible things about low/no maintenance on the vehicles, filth and mold issues, leaks, etc. It would be a terrible shame to spend that kind of money to be stranded on the side of the road.

I also would nix the New Orleans trip and continue from Miami down into the Florida Keys. At the time of year you are planning to travel, the prices will be lower since it is off season. You could see the entire length of the Keys and still take that flight out of Miami.

Thanks! I'll take that into account. And yes we don't want to go in the holiday season. (even though I think the summer holiday season in the USA is much longer than in Europe.. When we compare it in school/college holidays that is)

Sharps45120
Explorer
Explorer
Eric, it sounds like a wonderful trip, but please read reviews of the units that CruiseAmerica and other RV rental places utilize. I've read some horrible things about low/no maintenance on the vehicles, filth and mold issues, leaks, etc. It would be a terrible shame to spend that kind of money to be stranded on the side of the road.

I also would nix the New Orleans trip and continue from Miami down into the Florida Keys. At the time of year you are planning to travel, the prices will be lower since it is off season. You could see the entire length of the Keys and still take that flight out of Miami.
"As I stand on the beach~I slowly surrender~To the child in me~That can't say goodbye." ~ Jimmy Buffet

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Eric123 wrote:
Hi Matt!

Some of the friends I'm going with already been on the east coast (also on the west coast for that matter) and they traveled from North Carolina to New Orleans and back in two weeks. So yes we need to plan. But traveling by RV most likely takes up more time than by a car. So yes we must plan well.

Eric,

I am glad that you have an effective brain, that can be a rare find these days.

As one that has done a lot of both, I can tell you that RV travel, when properly managed car be as fast as a passenger car - overall. While the road speed may be lower (and most likely will be) the reduction in other areas can easily make up for it. There are two specific areas that gain. There is no pack/unpack for the night and many meals can be carried and either had underway or during a very short stop.

We have done most of the travel you have outlined, and we had a great time doing it.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Eric123
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
What are the group interest? Historical, culture, natural formations, man made, etc?

There are so many options in America one needs to define their main interest to best manage their time on a very limited schedule as you have mentioned.

That's hard to say... I myself am interested in all of that. We want to mix it up a little basically.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
What are the group interest? Historical, culture, natural formations, man made, etc?

There are so many options in America one needs to define their main interest to best manage their time on a very limited schedule as you have mentioned.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Florida has some sensations beaches.............I prefer the Gulf coast
but there are more "toursisty" activities on the Atlanits COast. Start in St Augustine (1 day?), drive down the coast to Daytona (soak in the Nascar atmosphere), then head down to Cape Canaveral - this is the mecca for anyone fascinated with the Space program of the Moon landings - this is FULL day.

Orlando is an hour (?) west and you can spend a life time here.

I did this trip 2 years ago and it took me 2 week just in Florida.

Gerry
Gerry

Eric123
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all! We'll consider all suggestions. It really opens up a lot of new things when hearing the perspective from locals or simply north Americans.

Do any of you guys have suggestions for what to do (we don't mind an activity now and then) or see in Florida? Cuz for us we know a lot now what we can do in Washington, Virginia and north Carolina. But the other states ate more like a blank page still.

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
Considering your time in USA, and the driving distances, I would consider eliminating New Orleans. You will be traveling a long way West from the East Coast to get there and have to turn around and come East again to Florida (maybe 4 days of travel total). There are a lot of nice things to do and places to see just along the East Coast and Florida. I would concentrate on those areas and have a more leisurely sightseeing trip in the time you have.

Just my opinion.

Especially after going from DC to Asheville to Charleston.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Considering your time in USA, and the driving distances, I would consider eliminating New Orleans. You will be traveling a long way West from the East Coast to get there and have to turn around and come East again to Florida (maybe 4 days of travel total). There are a lot of nice things to do and places to see just along the East Coast and Florida. I would concentrate on those areas and have a more leisurely sightseeing trip in the time you have.

Just my opinion.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
This isn't a knock on Charleston at all but given your other stops, I'd opt for the beach time in Virginia Beach as necessary and then drive to New Orleans from the Smokies. You would then avoid Atlanta and save at least a day driving that could be added to DC or whereever you see fit.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
If in Norfolk, VA visit the Outer Banks of NC for the Place of the first airplane flight, the site of the first English colony to be planted in the US, and the birth place of the first English child to be born in the USA, cimb the tallest light house in north America, see the oldest light house in north America, and June through August attend the Lost Colony drama, and then head west to your other NC destinations via HWY 64 and 40.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Eric, you are planning an awesome trip. I hope you all have a great time.

And yes, the Smithsonian being a collection of several large museums, you can indeed easily spend days just seeing some of them. There are also a number of other museums in Washington, DC not affiliated with the Smithsonian, but well worth the visit.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I've had really good service with Enterprise (they come to your location if needed); If you go to there website, you'll see a good assortment of minivans and larger.

BTW - check with your credit card company but you don't have to take the rental co insurance if your credit card company covers it. I've tested this twice !!!! ( 2 accidents) and the Credit card company took care of everything)

Gerry
Gerry

Eric123
Explorer
Explorer
fitznj wrote:
Seeing as you are taking a relatively short vacation and are going to be driving high mileages, I would stay away from renting an RV. Look into renting a minivan from regular rental agencies (Enterprise/Hertz...) and stay at hotels. You can find hotels everywhere, especially at interstate exits. Hotels are plentiful and cheaper than those in Europe (think $120/night for a decent hotel - Hampton Inn, HI Express....).

You'll need 2 rooms for 5 people and you get free breakfast.

The minivan will give you better choices to visit places (think of driving a RV through the streets of Charleston versus a Minivan), parking will be easier, fuel economy will be better.... and you don't have the stress of driving to a restaurant or having to cook in the RV.

If you were doing a 2 month trip across the US, then I would choose the RV but you're only here for less than 3 weeks.

Gerry

Thanks! By all means it's not that we must travel by RV. So could you suggest me a website/company that offers minivans decent for 6 adults?

Edit: you did mention some, i'll look into those. Sorry for reading over it ๐Ÿ™‚