cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pressure regulator for "City Water" Hookup

AlwaysDreaming
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody had an experience where city water pressure so high it damaged the RV plumbing? I am a newbie, but it sounds pretty far fetched.

Does a pressure regulator provide weaker pressure under normal pressure conditions?
25 REPLIES 25

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a water pressure meter that has an arrow that will lock at the maximum pressure the system sees. scary at times.
but don't get the $9.00 walmart special, get a whole house type.
bumpy

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled into a friends place in Yuma and you should have seen the water coming out of the TT. I turned off the water and got out my regulator and the water only flowed to the sinks and toilet, not out the bottom of the TT. I have also seen my white water hose look like it ate a rabbit. amazon has several adjustable regulators. Valtecs, I think I spelled it right is one of the ones I have

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, my trailer has a water pressure regulator built in to my water inlet. I still carry a water pressure regulator to protect my water hose at camp grounds with high pressure. So far, all of the camp grounds with high water pressure let us know in advance. Most of these camp grounds sell or loan you a pressure regulator.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
The plumbing in many 10 year old RV's was done with tubing that is only recommended for 45lbs pressure. Later units can handle a little more, a limit to 45 or 55lbs can be considered cheap insurance.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I had pressure so high at one campground that it destroyed the hose. That was fortunate because it protected the RV.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I have run into high pressure.

I have also witnessed RV's flood out because of plumbing failure while hooked up to campground water (not sure whether it was due to high pressure). If your not around when you have a plumbing failure when hooked up to shore water - yikes.

I do have a water pressure regulator ... but after seeing the RV flood I decided to just use the FW tank ... little pump noise beats fighting the insurance company over a flood issue. Just my 02.
Kevin

path1
Explorer
Explorer
OP maybe you have some common sense.

Why would anybody risk a plumbing failure that could destroy your rv when it is so easily avoided?

If in doubt re-read old biscout post above.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, at Grand Sierra Resort in Reno but they warned you as you registered. Guy next to me didnโ€™t use any regulator..bad mess. I used a regulator and it still popped the water heater pressure valve...no damage. I have not connected to city water since. I will never again connect to a city water supply
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Traveler's camp ground in South San Antonio, Texas tells the customers to use a pressure regulator, they sell them at the front office in case that the camper does not have one, incoming pressures vary from 120 to 180, so yes buy one that is of good quality, the cheap ones last until the chlorine in the water expands the rubber inside and the flow stops, get one that you can adjust and has a gauge.

navegator

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Not far fetched. We have a Alde system in our rig. When the cg pressure is too high it has a built in relief valve. To keep water from draining all the time. We use a regulator on the incoming line. It isn't too high in all cg's but we use the regulator all the time.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
A GOOD water pressure regulator will Hold/Maintain set pressure if supply pressure is higher and will allow all the supply pressure if it is lower then reg set point

YES, have seen CG supply pressures as high as 120#...........which can cause fittings to leak

A GOOD regulator is a WATTS Adjustable Regulator with pressure gauge
Set it for 50# (Static--no flow)

OR even better is to fill fresh water tank and use the pump.
Constant pressure/flow
Easy to turn OFF when you go to bed, go outside or leave CG vs having to valve out CG spigot

Use to connect to city water all the time when available until a cracked fitting broke during night while sleeping...water ran for HOURS.FLOODED 5th wheel $60000 in repairs/costs (was using a WATTS Regulator)
Since then (2008) fresh water tank/pump ONLY
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31