cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Qualified apology to olbaby30

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I reread my response to your post and I feel I must apologize for the tone of my reply.
I do stand by the gist however. Posts containing "shorthand" or Cellphonese just grate on my nerves. As I alluded to, the only thing typing costs you are a few seconds of your time, a very small price to pay in exchange for having your query satisfied.
Forums are probably the best information sharing platform ever devised by man. To have a meaningful exchange; pertinent information needs to be offered,as precisely as you can. To leave a respondent in doubt as to your goal, leads only to guesses and information that you are not looking for.

Well, I don't know that that would be called an apology,but it is what I got!
Never has anyone used the word tactful in connection with my name.
13 REPLIES 13

et2
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
This person is probablly a foreigner visiting and evidentlly does not have the complete comand of the English language, at least he is trying to do so in English, so do not be so jugmental I wold like to see some of you trying to comunicate in a language that you do not know.

Have a little more tolerance, if you travell to other countries you will not know where to purchase a lot of services or things that you need.

Please do not tell me that you do not travell to other countres I know some of you do not and I respect that.

navegator

That wuz a funnie post.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
This person is probablly a foreigner visiting and evidentlly does not have the complete comand of the English language, at least he is trying to do so in English, so do not be so jugmental...

I agree, it appears the poster is not a native English speaker.

Also some people are so ignorant (lack of knowledge, not an insult) that they don't know what questions to ask or how to form a question to get the desired answers. We all started somewhere.

Even at that, shouldn't an apology be posted in the same thread that the terse words were written?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tru dat ๐Ÿ˜‰
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
This person is probablly a foreigner visiting and evidentlly does not have the complete comand of the English language, at least he is trying to do so in English, so do not be so jugmental I wold like to see some of you trying to comunicate in a language that you do not know.

Have a little more tolerance, if you travell to other countries you will not know where to purchase a lot of services or things that you need.

Please do not tell me that you do not travell to other countres I know some of you do not and I respect that.

navegator

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
OOPS!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Posts containing "shorthand" or Cellphonese just grate on my nerves.

Mine, too.

And I've said so to some folks, especially those who can't seem to take the time to capitalize/use punctuation. But in my opinion, that new member's query doesn't fall into the category of "too lazy to do it right". I think his style bespeaks a painful effort to compose coherent sentences in what is likely an unfamiliar setting. Link to thread.

As such, I think your instinct to apologize for the criticism is correct and commendable. I'd add, though, that there's a better chance that the intended recipient will actually receive the apology if you post it in the original thread where he's likely to see it. Assuming of course that he ever comes back.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I saw someone who wasn't interested in reading and responding. He's just rapid-firing questions. Waste of time.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, no apology necessary. I usually ignore typos as a lot of them, I assume, are due to using a hand held gizmo not a real computer. I ignore if the poster is somewhat lax in the use of English as I assume they are foreigners.
bumpy

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pitch;
I tried to send a PM but you don't accept PM s so Ill leave out some my comments.
No apology required. I think you were gentle.
I don't think he is a troll. I don't believe he was using cell phone shorthand.

I think something else.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
As a teacher I can attest to the frustration of textspeak. Several times last year I had students turn in draft essays in textspeak. Needless to say they had to be re-done in English. A few weekends were sacrificed but it did stop. There were still some short u's, y's and c's but that was any easy fix for them.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
rugermark2 wrote:
, but I have read the posts and I didn't think you needed to apologize for what it's worth.
From what I read of that exchange, if that isn't a troll, I don't know what is. That thread is borderline ridiculous.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
Pitch its nice to see someone apologize, but I have read the posts and I didn't think you needed to apologize for what it's worth.
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
2015 Cougar 29RLI

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with the cell-phone ease complaint. We're turning into a nation of illiterates and we look like idiots to international customers.