Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read your hitch manual...

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
Ask me how I learned this... 🙂

Ok, I'll just go ahead and tell you.

On my last trip out I noticed that my hitch seemed to be acting a bit squirrly. Not too bad but I seemed to be getting pushed around more than I remembered from last season.

We were just getting ready to leave out on a 2500 mile trip and the hitch performance was buggin me. So I did the unthinkable! I broke out the hitch manual and read it... Paid special attention to the adjusting and maintaining section. Sure enough, I discovered that I had been neglecting to check the tightness of one little set screw. It's fairly hidden below the ball and out of sight.

Tightened that baby up according to the instructions... I swear I have a whole new hitch and towing experience. Amazing the difference a 5/8 wrench, 15 seconds, and a little turn or two will do for you!

Lesson learned, thankfully before I broke anything.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped
10 REPLIES 10

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
At least you tried everything else first. That means you get to keep your man card!

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
Full disclosure: I googled my hitch and downloaded the manual from the manufacturer. :). Google is you friend.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K

Our Story...
Places we've camped

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Wow there is a manual to hitches?? I have never had a manual......... I guess I have never bought a hitch new though..........

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
Farm Camp wrote:

On my last trip out I noticed that my hitch seemed to be acting a bit squirrly. Not too bad but I seemed to be getting pushed around more than I remembered from last season.

We were just getting ready to leave out on a 2500 mile trip and the hitch performance was buggin me. So I did the unthinkable! I broke out the hitch manual and read it... Paid special attention to the adjusting and maintaining section. Sure enough, I discovered that I had been neglecting to check the tightness of one little set screw. It's fairly hidden below the ball and out of sight.

Tightened that baby up according to the instructions... I swear I have a whole new hitch and towing experience. Amazing the difference a 5/8 wrench, 15 seconds, and a little turn or two will do for you!

Single set screw and 5/8 inch wrench, I'm betting it's an equal-i-zer hitch.

EQ owner here and my old EZ Lift hitch had the same bolt underneath as does the EQ. They loosen up all the time and will bend the big through bolts in the hitch head. Good to it from time to time.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wondering how you all got a manual for your hitch... :h :B
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Farm Camp wrote:

You guessed correctly! Sets the spacer/washers for the ball angle alignment firmly against the shank, and if it comes loose the whole shebang can move around and (I know now) makes the ride a lot less stable. Need to check it every 100 miles or so during "break in" and beginning of your trips afterwords. Makes for a much improved ride I can tell you.

Our Story...
Places we've camped

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Farm Camp wrote:

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
On the way home from camp today we passed av RV on the side of the road where the driver was reading the manual. We talked about swinging around to take a picture.....
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm. I think I used that manual to start a camp fire. LOL
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)