cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV sale pending, but we found evidence of mice...

WasserPigeon
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone! My family and I are in the process of hopefully purchasing a used 5th wheel soon to live in full time. It seems to be in pretty decent shape for a 2006. HOWEVER...when we went back to look at it yesterday we found mouse droppings. The mouse droppings were under the kitchen sink, in the bottom of the tv cabinet, and potential signs of nests in the air vents on the floor. So far, this is the best RV we have been able to find within our budget. We are worried about potential issues arising from the mice (i.e. electrical issues, allergens, etc.), but we really like the RV otherwise.

Is it still worth it to buy this RV, or should we just keep looking? If there's any possibility it would still be worth our time/money, would anyone have any suggestions regarding how to proceed with the price, taking care of the problem, looking for other potential issues, etc.? Thanks in advance!
19 REPLIES 19

Jackathan
Explorer
Explorer
Moth balls don't work. At all. Watch the videos on youtube from Shawn Woods. Mice don't care about moth balls, or pretty much anything. There are some good kill traps as Bill Anderson has described. What we have found that works 100% is poison bait stations. Put a couple by the wheels. Don't worry friends, we are animal lovers, with many pets. Dogs, Cats, turtles, lizards. Mice can be extremely destructive. Mice are not an endangered species. They reproduce at an amazing rate. Mice are cute, so don't worry, they will survive, but not in our $60,000 fifth wheel.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would say discuss this with the owner. You should be able to check everything before purchasing. Use the electrical, make sure the furnace and all appliances work, use the water systems and pump. See if you have any strange smells with the furnace running and it's warm in there. Refrigerator, water heater etc. If you are parked anywhere in the country, near fields or tall grass, chances are you will have them again. Try to close off any small openings with steel wool. They can't chew thru it.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
MURPHY55347 wrote:
If they peed in the air vents on the floor you will never get the smell out! Every time you turn on the heat you are going to smell it. Any inaccessible place they have been will retain the smell. Sorry but I would run away from this one.
Agree with this - there is a better chance than not that you will have to deal with the leftovers from a mouse infestation from the dead bodies to the nests in inaccessible places, to the smell when running the heat or AC.

Keep looking - you will be better off in the long run not buying this one - IMO.

Good luck!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If the RV is infested with mice thta could be a deal breaker. But just because you found evidence of mice but no real permanent damage or smell is NOT a deal breaker
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
We had 2 mice in a campground this year. I didn't want to use poison and have them die in an inaccessible place so I used the old fashioned spring traps.

Exactly! We use bait around our house. Well, guess what? One got in the 5w and died. Have no idea where or how because there has never been sign of them in there and we used spray foam or steel wool to block all holes, but one found a way in.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say buy it but you better run the furnace first and check the vents for obstruction.

Not trying to scare you but we actually had mice completely shut down all ductwork with a plethora of nest on brand new trailer.

Mice around here will make nests with dryer sheets and love the aroma of mint oil, we tried every product even electronics.

If they can get in, they will.
Eliminating access was the only way we have rid our trailers of mice.....10 yrs without a single mouse stirring.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BTW, when I sell my camper, "it never had mice in it."
I own a shop vac and windex though!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
WasserPigeon wrote:
HOWEVER...when we went back to look at it yesterday we found mouse droppings. The mouse droppings were under the kitchen sink, in the bottom of the tv cabinet, and potential signs of nests in the air vents on the floor. how to proceed with the price, taking care of the problem, looking for other potential issues, etc.? Thanks in advance!

Do you burn your house down after there's a mouse in it?
Do you call an exterminator and an industrial cleaning company when there's mouse turds in your kitchen cabinet?

Of course, verify that all items work (wires not chewed through).
Turn the heat on, if it smells bad, proceed accordingly.
Obviously the camper doesn't smell like rodents have been partying for years in it, or your story would be different...I think?
If everything checks out, see if you can get a better price since they were too lazy to clean it up themselves.
It's posts like these that make me wonder how many people right now today would survive if they had to live in the country, or god forbid, go back in time 1, 20, 40, 60 years with their current "knowledge" and phobias.

I have great memories of the couple times we forgot to put down Dcon at the cabin in the fall. The next summer, me n dad would sit at the kitchen table with our boots on so we could smash mice if they dared make a break for it in broad daylight!
Grow a pair and deal with.....stuff. It's mouse s hit, not nuclear waste!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BurbMan wrote:
We have owned 4 different trailers and parked them in the yards at 3 different homes over 20 years and never saw mouse #1. I would pull out bottom drawers, look in cabinets, etc and see if you see any chewed wiring or other signs of damage.
If there's no damage, then you just need to get rid of the mice. If you plan to move the trailer after you buy it, there's a fair chance you won't have mice problems in the future.

Prolly because the rats eat them for a snack on long Island...

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
If they peed in the air vents on the floor you will never get the smell out! Every time you turn on the heat you are going to smell it. Any inaccessible place they have been will retain the smell. Sorry but I would run away from this one.

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thoroughly check all electrical functions of the rig before purchasing it to insure the mice have not eaten thru any electrical wiring. This is especially important if the rig sat unused for a period of time.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
I have had good luck with the Rat Zapper.

I have one of these too and they are great!

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had good luck with the Rat Zapper.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We had 2 mice in a campground this year. I didn't want to use poison and have them die in an inaccessible place so I used the old fashioned spring traps.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......