cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

T.T. tounge jack

hvnbnd
Explorer
Explorer
Hello looking for advice on purchasing an electric tounge jack for our 03 Keystone Cougar.
Any advice on what size, height, brand, to or not to look at, or stay away from them all together.
Just looking to take the set up experience a little better.
PRO'S and CON'S.
Thank's
21 REPLIES 21

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
Love my electric tongue jack. Not something i needed, was something I wanted. It works great for me. Makes things easier at a time when I don't want to work harder. Like I said, I have no physical issues. I'm 50 and in pretty decent shape. Just like the ease.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
hvnbnd wrote:
Thank you everyone.
Only one mentioned about the 24in. instead of the 18in. any other thought's on that.
Also I can't totally understand my weight sticker, should it specify tounge weight?
One mentioned in a PM about installing a cut out switch,,,,, thought's?
Mike

Go with a 24" if you are able to. Better to have the extra 6" and not need it.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Adam-12
Explorer
Explorer
Electric jacks are the best invention since toilet paper was invented!!!! I typically hit the toggle switch with my left finger (up or down) while my right hand holds my Heineken light!!!!

The only advice I would give, is to go with the biggest, most powerful unit you can. For example, if you have a trailer and you calculate the tongue weight, don't forget that it also must lift your pick up truck's weight at the rear end too. My 2500HD fully loaded with the trailer connected could have passed with a 3000lb model. But to keep the jack working a bit faster, I got the 3500lb.
Silverado 2500HD Duramax DIESEL/4x4/CC/Z71:W
31' Travel Trailer
2 Honda EU2000i's (parallel)
ICOM 7000
Random wire, dipoles, verticals
Hunting/Fishing gear
Welding/Fabricator
Life endowment member NRA
:B :B

coolestdude
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought my first electric tongue jack, best money I've spent. I got the Barker VIP 3500 24". I got it at camping world on sell for $220.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Love my refurbished Ultrafab 3502 for under $100 shipped.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
Ramblin Recks wrote:
Ultra Fab 3502 is the way to go. Best Mod ever, IMHO.

When I had a TT, I put one of these on it. Agree, one of the best Mods (bang for the buck) that I ever did. While it was easy enough to use the manual, with a WD hitch, that was an awful lot of cranking up and down and up and down when hitching or unhitching. When it is hot outside I could work up quite a sweat just cranking. Much easier to just hit the switch and the motor didn't care how heavy the tongue weight was or the fact that I was lifting the tongue and the rear of the TV to get the bars on...it just runs up and down.

I had the Ultr Fab and never had any issues with it, however, I did replace the fuse holder immediately with a blade type holder (I don't like the glass fuses regardless of if there was an issue with corrosion) and when I installed the jack, I mades sure that I had a good ground at the base and even used copper contact grease at the base plate to make sure.

As for the 18 vs 24" lift? A 24" is nice, but, if you can get the 18" with a 6" or better adjustable foot, you will do just fine. I put a 6" Flip Foot on mine so that as soon as it started down, the Flip Foot dropped and instantly gave me a 6" extension on the jack leg and then when you draw the leg up, the Flip Foot folds up and out of the way for ground clearance. Would be nice if they made something similar for my 5er...
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

hvnbnd
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone.
Only one mentioned about the 24in. instead of the 18in. any other thought's on that.
Also I can't totally understand my weight sticker, should it specify tounge weight?
One mentioned in a PM about installing a cut out switch,,,,, thought's?
Mike

Locky
Explorer
Explorer
You can get the refurbished Ultra Fad 3502 on eBay for less than $100. That is where I got mine and it works perfectly.

Ramblin_Recks
Explorer
Explorer
Ultra Fab 3502 is the way to go. Best Mod ever, IMHO.
George and Ann
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB ,4x4,3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 640W Solar, MPPT60, Magnum 2000
Retired Army, but still working....until 2016

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a pretty good variety of brands of tongue jack (Barker, Ultra FAb, DTH and several others). Every one of them has done exactly what it's supposed to do (goes up when the button is pushed and goes back down when it's reversed). I'd buy the one that you can purchase for the best price. The only thing I've found that really matters is that some have a better in line fuse than others. Had one brand (I believe it was an Ultra Fab) that the fues holder was continually becoming corroded because it was not water tight. Fially put a fuse holder from a motorcycle shop in it's place and never had another problem. I think the cost of doing the upgrade was about $3.00
I am CURRENTLY using a DTH brand jack 2500 lb. for my 1,250 lb. trailer tongue and it has worked flawlessly since i purchased the trailer some 7 years ago.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I have an UltraFab 3502 that I have loved since day one. Any major brand 3500# and up will serve you well. It is the single best mod I have ever done to my large TT. I will never own another TT without one!
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

YamaDooed
Explorer
Explorer
Barker 3500 24" makes leveling and hooking up WD bars a no sweat operation. With the taller head unit and no handle it allows me to open the TV tailgate. No cons yet...

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bought a used Barker. Once thought I'll share is to buy the longer throw version. Mine is is the shorter version and with having W/D hitch and a slanted forward driveway (and at some campsites), I have to use about 3-4 2x6's to get enough height to snap the chains on easily. Go for the 24" length instead of the 18".

Won't be without one in the future. Easy setup, especially in the heat of the summer and I'm now not sweat soaked by the time I hit the camping chair for my first brown pop.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

sndman7
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a TT the first mod was a Barker VIP 3500 24" Loved it. When the new owner came to look at the camper he was very happy to see the tongue jack. Money Well spent.
2006 Titanium 36E41 MPRV
2011 F350 DRW QC King Ranch