cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thetford or Barker Portable Waste Tank??

jlfought
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to decide between the Thetford or Barker portable waste tank. We would be getting a 35 gal theford or 32 gal barker ( we have 7 people, soon to be 8, in our family so need a biggin'). Will either work just as well or is one better than another? Thanks! ~Jen
16 REPLIES 16

gdweb
Explorer
Explorer
went thetford, just because it had hose built in, less to carry around
SEMPER FI

Gary & Diane
Ky
2020 F250 King Ranch 6.7l FX4
2013 Sundance 3270res

weakknees
Explorer
Explorer
I have th Baker 32 gallon. I put four ball bearing peumatic wheels on it. I have no trouble pulling it but would on a uphill grade. I boondock mostly and dump at home I have to pull it about 75 ft. to my sewer clean out, no problem. Never have had to use the hitch pull. The Baker is easier to up grade the wheels than the Thedford. Neither pull easily on gravel with the stock wheels.
2004 2500HD Duramax-Allison, long bed crew cab.
2002 28' Thor fifth wheel (a good one)

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 32 gal Barker that has been used a lot for 6 years and still as good as new...wish it was the 42 gal though. If I needed another one it would be the Barker again.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We had the thetford 35 gallon. Used it a few times when we had the TT. Since we got the motorhome, we have not used it. Matter of fact I don't think we have used it in a couple of years. Believe it or not, the motorhome has half the size tanks as the TT did, but we can go longer than we did in the TT. Mainly because we pay attention to water use and use the oxygenics shower spa. when it comes time to dump now and there's only a dump station. I will just crank it up and drive it over. I sold the thetford on craigslist recently for $100. Someone drove 3 hrs to get it.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
we have the 35 gal tetford and love it

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
jlfought wrote:
mowermech wrote:
IMO, the most important thing to think about is: "Is there a dump station here?"
Getting that thing filled up and finding there is no place to dump it would be a VERY bad situation!
That's why I sold the one I had. Any campground I was in either had full hookups or no hookups or dump station. It sat under the workbench for about 5 years gathering dust, then I sold it for $15 in a rummage sale.

We are a family of 7, soon to be 8, so we simply can't camp anywhere without full hookups or a dump station!! lol It is must for us. We are trying to expand where we can camp by not needing full hook ups all the time, hence the portable ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

That's why we bought our tote. With the grandkids and our kids, it can grow to 8 in a hurry. The showers are what fills your gray tank up fast. You'll never need it for the black, we haven't in 10 years.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
with the flojet you can back the sub up to a pit and hit the trigger. I have not tried this method yet and question the sealing capabilities of the flojet to tank connection.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I use a tote and store 25 gallon and flo jet maceratot poop pump. The 25 gallon tank rides in the back of sub, open gray, and hit the throttle. PITA, clearing the hose of gray/black whatever. I bought translucent 1.5" hose x 40ft for that duty. Next challenge: How are you going to manage the fresh water for 8? tanks are 30 gallon to 100 gallon. You may be burning through that much in one day.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

jlfought
Explorer
Explorer
jlfought wrote:
mowermech wrote:
IMO, the most important thing to think about is: "Is there a dump station here?"
Getting that thing filled up and finding there is no place to dump it would be a VERY bad situation!
That's why I sold the one I had. Any campground I was in either had full hookups or no hookups or dump station. It sat under the workbench for about 5 years gathering dust, then I sold it for $15 in a rummage sale.

We are a family of 7, soon to be 8, so we simply can't camp anywhere without full hookups or a dump station!! lol It is must for us. We are trying to expand where we can camp by not needing full hook ups all the time, hence the portable ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I had to laugh at some of the promo videos for the portables that show someone pulling it by hand to dump LOL Yeah, I think hooking it to the hitch would be a little more sensible if you don't want to pull 300# clear across a campground!! lol

jlfought
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
They're both good totes and you can't go wrong with either one. I have an older Barker 32 gal that comes in handy from time to time. If buying again, I would probably go with one of the 4 wheel models with side discharge. I went with the 2 wheeler mainly due to the lower cost. Be warned; they all get HEAVY when full.

We use ours only for gray water.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I prefer the Barker. It comes with pneumatic (air filled) tires. The hose is detachable making it easier to drain. It also has a detachable handle for towing.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
I have Thetford 35 gallon and like it very much. I did have to drill the wheel axle (both sides) and add cotter pins between the washers to prevent the wheels from rubbing on the tank body. Bolt fell out of handle body due to hauling over rough terrain. Simple fix to add another bolt. Otherwise, I am satisfied with this tote.

Lakeside

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"