cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool kit?

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
Good afternoon. While I have my nice set of tools at home, I am curious about getting a dedicated "tool kit" for the TT.

I didn't find any RV/TT specific tool kits and assume the required tools are all typical/common tools.

Is there anything I am missing? Anyone have a recommendation for a decent tool kit?

I was considering: Amazon Basics

I will be bringing one of my extra drills...

Not looking to spend a lot (so I know the quality will not be stellular...).

Thank you.
37 REPLIES 37

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
GMH wrote:
which is better for setting stabilizer jacks, a cordless drill or cordless impact driver? I think the drill would be more useful all around.

I never set the stabilizers with a power tool, I run the jacks down with drill driver then go around with a hand crank several times to bring them to the final setting. I use 6 stabilizers and want to feel how much load is on each jack.

Same.

But I find an angle drill works best for these. I wouldn't use an impact myself.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Raife wrote:

Thank you.

horribly overpriced IMHO.
bumpy

Looks like my wife's tool kit.

walmart had some similar in pink.
bumpy

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
Raife wrote:

Thank you.

horribly overpriced IMHO.
bumpy

Looks like my wife's tool kit.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
GMH wrote:
which is better for setting stabilizer jacks, a cordless drill or cordless impact driver? I think the drill would be more useful all around.

I never set the stabilizers with a power tool, I run the jacks down with drill driver then go around with a hand crank several times to bring them to the final setting. I use 6 stabilizers and want to feel how much load is on each jack.

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
I used a normal cordless drill when I rented a unit a couple weeks ago and it worked fine. However, for the lug nuts on a wheel, an impact would definitely be better.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you use an impact driver, please don't let it rattle along at 0630. Your neighbors will appreciate it.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
GMH wrote:

I think the impact works best. a drill might do the job though.

GMH
Explorer
Explorer

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know that everyone would necessarily classify them as "tools", but rather essentail to have are some basic emergency / safety equipment, including wheel chocks (I like the rubber triangular ones with handles, such as Harbor Freight sells for reasonable prices), warning triangles, etc. A high-visibility vest is a very good idea, too, should you break down on the road.

Otherwise, I've tended to start with fairly limited tools and figure I can buy any that become necessary while away. Absolutely required, as mentioned by others already, are a #2 squre drive screwdriver (a good, old-fahsioned manual one at the least--there are plenty of places where a power driver is not practical to use), an adjustable wrench or two, maybe a pair of chanel-lock pliers or similar, a simple multimeter, gorilla tape, and the wrenches and jack and such to install the spare--assuming your wheels are of a size that one has some hope of managing. I've also found a small compressor very useful for topping up tires when needed; I have a Fini AirBoss (which is also sold under the Craftsman brand) that I'm very happy with. Needless to say, the compressor must be able to get to the pressure your tires require, and do so without taking hours on end. 12V units that plug into the lighter socket generally don't meet that requirement.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
My tool box looks pretty much like oldwizard1's kit. I have used just about every tool in the kit at some point of my travels. I usually end up helping someone that is along the road or in the campground more often than on my own rig. When I had an old Toyota based class C, I needed pretty much every tool to make sure I got back home. Little stuff always seemed to come loose or quit working. I love my newer truck and new TT.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
tire changing tools and a volt meter are a must. the rest you can pick up as you need it. As im loading the camper i grab my tool bag and just load it with everything i think ill need but never use. If im going far from home i bring more stuff. we do alot of local camping so on those trips i just bring the essentials. if ive got a major issue i can run home and grab something.

Most RV repairs at the campsite are with basic/simple tools. wrenches/screwdrivers ect. I keep one of those cheap Christmas gift tool kits in the camper as well. I think the main issue is getting off the side of the road. Have tools for that. the rest can be bought or brought as you need it.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
I carry way too much stuff with me in the bed of my truck on trips, but in the end, I don't care... Basically, a full set of wrenches, sockets, ratchets, breaker bar, jack stands, 6 ton bottle jack, an old 2 ton floor jack and so much other stuff, it's insane! ha, ha..

Cardboard, duct tape, zip ties, shovel, battery charger, battery load test thingy, bungee cords, rope, tow strap and on and on... If I have it, I carry it!

Never need most of it, but would hate to be on the side of the road and say... Dang... I got that at home... Should have packed it! ha, ha..

Folks don't take WATER with them to what? Save weight.... BFD... I'd rather have it than not if needed and the weight be dammed..

Just what I do and what works for me.. Your mileage may vary.

Mitch

old wizards kit looks pretty good for an all in one setup.

I pack the same as Mitch above, minus the floor jack. I usually don't have the room for that. I also always pack my trusty battery 1/4" impact driver.

My family has a long history of things breaking on road trips. I've changed radiators, diff fluid to limp home a a burned up rear, belts and tensioners, replaced 6 pin trailer plug, etc...and thats just on my stuff. All on camping trips hundred of miles from home. 😄

Always great stories after the fact. Maybe not so much while its happening.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry way too much stuff with me in the bed of my truck on trips, but in the end, I don't care... Basically, a full set of wrenches, sockets, ratchets, breaker bar, jack stands, 6 ton bottle jack, an old 2 ton floor jack and so much other stuff, it's insane! ha, ha..

Cardboard, duct tape, zip ties, shovel, battery charger, battery load test thingy, bungee cords, rope, tow strap and on and on... If I have it, I carry it!

Never need most of it, but would hate to be on the side of the road and say... Dang... I got that at home... Should have packed it! ha, ha..

Folks don't take WATER with them to what? Save weight.... BFD... I'd rather have it than not if needed and the weight be dammed..

Just what I do and what works for me.. Your mileage may vary.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Glaringly missing from the shown tool set is a 10" adjustable wrench. As stated before, a good quality #2 Robertson dedicated screwdriver (not an insert bit which is included). Possibly to be added at some time would be a 1 1/16 socket to drain your water heater and a folding pruning saw.

My most indispensable tool which I use multiple times every trip is a kneeling pad. This may be age dictated.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Skil makes a rechargeable 4 V palm size screwdriver that is about the handiest tool in the kit. I have two of them and use one of them on almost every job. They run around $25 or so from almost anywhere.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)