cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tow max tire failure

thesenator
Explorer
Explorer
anyone out there having trouble with les tow max tires. I have a 2010 wildcat 5th wheel. in the last 2 years I have replaced 4 tires due to separation. everything is alig correct no excess weight. dealer keeps telling me they sell thousands. when asked how many have they replaced. no response tire size st235/80r-16/10. the last tire separation happened only 45 day from being installed. there telling me the 45 day tie is not separated. nothing like going down thw highway waiting for a blow out. iam ready to try geo star LT 235/85R16/14. any input would be helpful.
32 REPLIES 32

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
handsome51 wrote:
I bought a 2006 carriage 5th wheel new and it came with tow max tires. I made up my mind if I had problems with one tire they all would go. Had 7,000 miles on the tires when the two on the right side were growing . The back one also had a bubble on the inside side wall. What got my attention is my shock would not fit between the tires is what got me looking. I replaced all 5 tires with XP Ribs. Have not had a tire problem since

7,000 miles? How many years is that, seasons?

I took delivery in Sept.2006 and in Sept 2007 I was 137 miles from the house in Louisana at a casio when I had the tire problem. I put the spare on and bought another china made tire to get me back to the house. While I was in Lousiana I called my tire guy and ordered 5 XP Ribs. By the end of the week I had 5 good tires on the trailer. I am on the 2nd set of XP Ribs now. I replace the tires every 5 years by the date on the tire. That is cheaper then getting the trailer repaired plus buying tires.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
handsome51 wrote:
I bought a 2006 carriage 5th wheel new and it came with tow max tires. I made up my mind if I had problems with one tire they all would go. Had 7,000 miles on the tires when the two on the right side were growing . The back one also had a bubble on the inside side wall. What got my attention is my shock would not fit between the tires is what got me looking. I replaced all 5 tires with XP Ribs. Have not had a tire problem since

7,000 miles? How many years is that, seasons?
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Tim, Aware of the damage that can happen when tire tread separates, which is what happened to us. Insurance comprehensive took care of it. After showing the tires to a national RV tire expert, to our RV dealer, and to our local tire shop, all experts, I can agree that the condition of the tires was expected for the age of them and how we used them. Bottom line, it could've been prevented by us. We are taking a different approach this time, but again with the warranty provided by the tire shop and opinions on the tires by our RV dealership (well respected in this area) and the national RV tire expert, both DH and I are comfortable with what we have.

Interesting that Maxxis is highly regarded. Our last RV came with Maxxis. We bought it brand new and within 2 years, the tires were showing signs of aging and cracking on the sidewalls and those tires had been manufactured the same year as the TT. We had to replace them.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
My rig is exactly one year old and had been pulled around 6,000 miles, when in July, I pulled into a campground in Wyoming and noticed one tire looked kinda low. Pulled the wheel off and saw that the outer rubber was cut open about 3 inches on the inner side of the tire and had separated. This was not due to hitting anything. I think it blew 'softly' and slowly leaked down over several miles as opposed to 'explosively'. The tread also seemed to be raised upward and the mechanic said that meant it was separating internally. It still had 20 pounds of pressure in it. I figure that if I had driven too much further all the remaining air would have leaked out, putting the entire weight of the rig on that side onto the one remaining tire with possibly real ugly consequences. I always run at 55-58 mph and always had the tires inflated to 80 pounds. Still had lots of tread. So they were not abused. I've read lots of tire posts on rv.net so I tried to keep an eye on them. I had wanted to finish my traveling for this year (full timing) and then get new tires but NOT ! I understand that you can't judge when to replace an ST tire by the number of miles you put on them. But these TowMax tires seem to fail internally regardless of age or miles. Shouldn't I expect to get more then one year out of them ? No need to answer. I really do think it should be illegal to sell (or install as OEM) TowMax tires. How can these things possibly be DOT approved ?? I replaced all 4 OEM tires with Maxxis M8008s.

Very simply, Tow Max tires are time bombs. All you have to do is a Search of RV.net and you will get many pages of stories. Start with the 5th wheel forum. It seems like the heavier trailers are the ones that have the most trouble.

ReneeG, there's one thing you may want to look in to. When these tires blow, they can cause thousands of dollars in damage to the trailer. You may want to find out what Les Schwab's policy/warranty is regarding paying for that damage.

Tim

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just bought a new Silverado and brought it home and had Discount Tire put 4 new Maxxis on it and they took the towmax in trade. I had Towmax on my other 5ver and had one go bad within 2000 mi. and then replaced all of them. I am not taking any chances with them on a new 5ver.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
How fast are you pulling the trailer? I wonder if speed might be part of the equation for the frequent failures.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our Bighorn new in 2010 and it came with Towmaxx tires. They lasted till this July. Tire separation but they were due to be replaced next year. We replaced with Towmaxx from Les Schwab, and they said the same - good tires. After really studying about tire failures, etc., we have not problem with the TowMaxx. Les Schwab stands behind their products and we have a full warranty certificate with it. We will be using their free service annually to have the tires checked and will maintain the full PSI as recommended by our RV dealership.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
NCKZ Camper wrote:
Truly check out Maxxis as I've used them for years with no problems.

Same here. Lots of problems before and none after getting a set.

X3
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search on this site for Sailun s637 tires as well.
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
NCKZ Camper wrote:

Same here. Lots of problems before and none after getting a set.

NCKZ_Camper
Explorer
Explorer

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Search tow max, or, more affectionately known as Blow Max. You'll find hundreds of posts.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis 8008 ST tires
Goodyear G614 LT trailer tires
Michelin XPS Ribs trailer tires
Bridgestone Duravis LT trailer tire
Be sure to have your new tires balanced.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis 8008 ST tires
Goodyear G614 LT trailer tires
Michelin XPS Ribs trailer tires
Bridgestone Duravis LT trailer tire
Be sure to have your new tires balanced.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo