cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailer Purchase

mryoung6809
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to purchase my first travel trailer around the end or beginning of the year just want to get some pros and cons on the different models that are out there, because no matter what the dealer is trying to sell me what every i think i want! Thanks!!!
13 REPLIES 13

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
SoundGuy wrote:

Won't do the OP a darned bit of good if he/she can't tow it. :S Definitively establishing just how much trailer any vehicle can safely tow should come first and foremost every time, long before floorplan is considered. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Not every time. Some people (like me) don't have a tow vehicle yet. First I decide what floorplan I want, and then I pick a vehicle that can tow it. In fact, if I decide that I'm going to live in it at an RV park and not travel (which may happen some day) I can just hire someone to move it. I could also rent a truck to take it out for a weekend.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may as well ask, "How high is up?" There are many, many, floorplans and manufacturers of trailers and no one can advise you on which is best for you. I am not familiar with your tow vehicle but you do need to research how much you can safely tow after you load your TV with everything including passengers. Then get yourself to an RV show and check out what is being offered. You could also just go to different dealers and accomplish the same thing but at an RV show they are all in one place. The advice to leave your wallet at home is great advice. Decide how many slide-outs, if any you need. Check out the layout of the different kitchens and find out which works best for how you use it. Make sure the bathroom is usable and there is sufficient space to take a shower or use the toilet. Check out the size of the holding tanks and determine if they are big enough for the way you will be camping. Understand you need to consider both outside living of the TT as well as how space would be used when you hit a rainy patch and everyone is cooped up inside. All of these wants and needs will be dictated by the size of your budget and the capability of your Tow Vehicle. You also have to budget for setting up your TV to tow whatever you buy. You will likely need a trailer brake and a weight distribution/anti-sway hitch.

This is the fun part. Do your research and find out what works for you and your family. There is no one perfect TT or one best manufacturer, but there is one that is best for you. You just have to go find it.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
The payload will be your limiting factor. Check the drivers door for a yellow sticker, find the payload on that. From that you'll need to subtract the weight of all people and gear you will be carrying in the vehicle. What remains should be close to your limit as far as tongue weight. I suspect you will be over that well before you get to pull a 9000# trailer.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

mryoung6809
Explorer
Explorer
So I drive a 2012 Nissan Titan SL full CAB Rated @ about 9000 Lbs Towing Capacity. There are 4 members in my house hold. Trying to get a feel from what other RV owners have been experiencing good and bad with the type and model of RV's. I have been looking at all models and floor plans.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Buy the floorplan you like the best.

Won't do the OP a darned bit of good if he/she can't tow it. :S Definitively establishing just how much trailer any vehicle can safely tow should come first and foremost every time, long before floorplan is considered. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Start with the floorplan. Most floorplans have 10+ brands/models that are same to similar. After floorplan, then you can compare those brands.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You need to do your homework on your tow vehicle capacity first. And DON'T listen if a salesman says "sure, you can tow that,no problem."
Then it's wide open. How many are going camping with you? Bunkhouse? Rear bath, rear kitchen, rear living area? Travel trailer or 5th wheel (if the truck is big enough?)
Thor and Forest River now have 90%+ of the RV market. You can sort out the entry level trailers then move up from there.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the tow capacity of your tow vehicle and that will likely narrow it down some already. Do post more about what you want as I know folks here will help. Good luck!

FKT4387
Explorer
Explorer
Your head will spin with the different brands and the associated opinions. You should determine what you are interested in and what you think you might like. Go to some shows but leave your wallet at home. DO research on the forums and internet. Good Luck!

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
You will probably get more help if you list the trailers you are considering. I wouldn't even know where to start based on your initial post. Too many variables.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

Moved from Forum Technical Support