cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washing & Waxing RV

Kalait
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best product to wash and wax your RV. We have a new to us 2011 Keystone Passport Ultra lite 21 foot. I need to wash and wax the trailer in the most efficient water saving manner, as Texas has a drought for the past 3 to 4 years. Any suggestions welcome.
Kalait

2010 Xterra
2011 Passport 199ml
22 REPLIES 22

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
35' 5er is easily done with 4 buckets of soapy water & brush rinsing top to bottom a section at a time.

The waxing is where the work can get serious depending on the condition of the fiberglass & the product used.

There are lots of products which will look good for the short term. It takes as much labour to use a cheap product, which does not last long, & the expensive product which will last months longer & take less time the next time around.

I do mine once a year. It takes a full day. 6 years on, the trailer looks almost factory new. Only the best marine product is used. My wax of choice is Meguires Flagship, a pure wax not a cleaner wax.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
appd221 wrote:
The advice here is great. I would like to put a great wax finish on my fiberglass rv but want to get some old stubborn stains out first by using a regular rubbing compound. Is this a good idea on fiberglass? And of the waxes mentioned are they all good for fiberglass, or are some mentioned used on full body paint RVs?

Gel Gloss RV Wax is a cleaner and wax. When I use it, it removes the stuff soap and water didn't get off.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

appd221
Explorer
Explorer
The advice here is great. I would like to put a great wax finish on my fiberglass rv but want to get some old stubborn stains out first by using a regular rubbing compound. Is this a good idea on fiberglass? And of the waxes mentioned are they all good for fiberglass, or are some mentioned used on full body paint RVs?

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I am no fan of waxing either. Matter of fact I simply refuse to do so. I have found that turtle wash and wax combo works great. One step and very happy with the results. It shines like a mirror and beads water like none other I have tried.
2013 ACE 29.2

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
I wash mine with just water and a microfiber sponge then use Gel Gloss wax. Did it this weekend.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
I use a soft boat brush and Maguire's was them wax with Maguire's wax.

moose888
Explorer
Explorer
Just washed and wax my 35 foot Dynamax I used Mother's Synthetic polish it turned out great. It did take me four days to get it done. If you want to save water use a rain barrel and a good pump. The one good thing and there is only one Maryland does have a great climate and we don't have very many droughts.

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
Kalait wrote:
What is the best product to wash and wax your RV. We have a new to us 2011 Keystone Passport Ultra lite 21 foot. I need to wash and wax the trailer in the most efficient water saving manner, as Texas has a drought for the past 3 to 4 years. Any suggestions welcome.

The local high school orchestra was washing cars to raise money to help finance trips. While they were washing my car I noticed that they were using good car wash and being careful with the finish. They did a great job. I asked them if they would do my RV and the answer was yes. I did give them a larger than normal donation for the cause, but they earned it and they really enjoyed doing the RV. They had trouble getting some kids to do the other cars. Now the RV looks great, my mussels and joints don't hurt and best of all I feel good about helping them.

1oldtruck
Explorer
Explorer
I use GEL-GLOSS RV wash & wax to clean it and Meguiar's Ultimate liquid wax. It's a pure synthetic polymer. Waxed it six months ago and it still beads up when washed. It sits outside in the Florida sun all year long. I have considered hiring someone to do the job but I don't trust someone else to do it properly. They would also want to use their own products.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Wash and Wax All.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
I use a long handle soft bristle push broom. Nice wide head and long handle make it quick. I can do my entire 38 footer in about 20-30 minutes for the wash. Shorter if it isn't too dirty. Setup takes longer than the wash.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
Kalait wrote:
Thanks for your input. Do you guys use a telescoping brush for washing and waxing???

In my case, it's called a 5' aluminum ladder....:B
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

Kalait
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your input. Do you guys use a telescoping brush for washing and waxing???
Kalait

2010 Xterra
2011 Passport 199ml

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Collinite Wax #845 Insulator wax on all of my vehicles, RV's, enclosed car trailer, etc. for over 20 years and have not found any wax that is easier to apply and remove. I wax my T.S. MH twice a year and it still looks like the day I took delivery. I can wax my MH with less than half of the bottle (pt.) and still wax several of my other vehicles. I have used it on all of my classic cars that have very expensive paint jobs, as it does not leave any swirl marks and is easy to remove with a cotton towel.

I also recommend their #840 Pre-Wax Cleaner that works great to remove road dirt, etc. if you have not waxed it in the past. Some Marine Stores sell it or you can order it direct from the company.
http://www.collinite.com/automotive-wax/

Any good car wash soap would work well. Spray just enough water to get it wet and then wash is with a sponge or car wash brush, before it dry's rinse it off, it does not take much water, for a small trailer.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer