cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does it mean?

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
What does it mean when a campground says that they are a “ winterized campground “ ?
11 REPLIES 11

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Thanks OP for a well thought out first post and no follow up...:Z

What follow up is needed? :R It was a simple question which was answered.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thanks OP for a well thought out first post and no follow up...:Z
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago, we spent a winter in a 32 foot Class A at a campground near here that was "winterized". In this case, it meant that they had heated water hookups. Instead of using a hose that could freeze, I built a water line out of hard copper tubing and installed heat tape on it. No problem in below zero weather. I did not heat tape the sewer line, and had no trouble with it.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
We are at a full service campground in North Carolina. Winterized to them is to set the bathroom and kitchen sinks open with a small stream to keep water from freezing. At the same time, we have 2 electric heaters keeping us warm.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with all the previous posters, it could mean no water except at a fill station, to none at site, or at site with freeze proof faucets. It still does not protect your supply hose.
Comfort Facilities may or may not be open.
Whatever the meaning, it is always right if you want water to use your onboard tank in freezing weather and fill as needed. Never 'trickle' Thats a recipe to freeze your waste hose solid then back up and fill your gray tank then flood the rig while you sleep.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would say it depends on the park.. May mean water only at selected locations. The membership park near me has only a few "Comfort" stations (out of a whole bunch) open and I think 2 of them have water.

One park I stay at has Frost Proof Hydrants. same as we had Down on ye old farm. So long as you do not keep your hose hooked up (Fill your tank and then unhook and drain hoses) they do not freeze

Some parks have heat taped and insulated plumbing.

You need to call and find out.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
It's not a standard term we've come across, so it could mean just about anything. Ask what they mean.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
From My Experience (we used to only get to travel this time of year), it means they will take money if you park there.
There will probably be electric available (often limited).
One had a "heated bathhouse" with "hot" showers. (This all required stretching their poetic license.)
Several did have potable water available from self draining hydrants - you could not leave the water on over night.
Sometimes (not always) the dumps are open, but with no clean up water available.
Unless you call them and confirm, don't count on much.

What ever you do, don't leave a water filled hose out overnight. They are no fun to deal with in the morning. (It was near 40°F when we went to bed.)

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, no water.
Not really an issue for just the wife and I as we fill our fresh water tank (60g) before each trip regardless of hookups.....got use to our soft water.

That said, most of the campgrounds around here that actually stay open year around also provide water.

We only know of 1 local campground that claims " winterized " and still allows camping without water or use of bathhouse.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest asking the park for specifics, but we've been to a number of parks the mention "winterized" that had freeze-proof or heat taped faucets on some or all sites. Most suggest only hooking up to add water to your onboard fresh tank when below freezing temps are expected. The freeze-proof faucets don't work correctly if they are left open.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No water! Water could be available at some location.
Possibility that there is no restrooms.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker