cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's a must coverage to have on rv

Smittybuilt
Explorer
Explorer
We are picking up our 2010 Thor four winds 21 ft rv tomorrow and wanted to know what is a must have as far as warranty or extended coverage?
The finance manager tried pushing us on these metal belts that keep the tires from blowing out and it was like $2,000 which sounded a little expensive to me but we are new to the RV World as well. They did just put on brand new tires but is coverage for the motor the most important part of the RV? It only has 34k miles on it.
Thanks for any feedback.
14 REPLIES 14

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
greenskeeper wrote:
I purchased an extended warrantee on my 2001 ford f 350 , talked them down from $3600.00 4 years to $2100.00 sure glad I did, more than paid for itself in 3 years, I can't work on the new stuff, so did the same on my 2014 Silverado, 4 years and unlimited milage , they started at $3500, we ended up at $2100.00 for full coverage....they have worked good for us........but not every one....

yep, when I am in the waiting area as my vehicle is being fixed under warranty, I have to sort of giggle when the mechanic comes out and starts talking to the person beside me, saying "the muffler bearings are totally shot and it will cost you $2400 to fix."
bumpy

greenskeeper
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased an extended warrantee on my 2001 ford f 350 , talked them down from $3600.00 4 years to $2100.00 sure glad I did, more than paid for itself in 3 years, I can't work on the new stuff, so did the same on my 2014 Silverado, 4 years and unlimited milage , they started at $3500, we ended up at $2100.00 for full coverage....they have worked good for us........but not every one....

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Turn down any warranty and put a few $$ aside each month for any repairs.
TTs are not rocket science - they are pretty easy too repair. Learn to do stuff
yourself and you will be ahead of the game.

In 26? years of owning an RV, I've never had any major appliance fail. Stuff does break/wear out but most of it is simple to repair. I just needed to replace my water pump - $43 on Amazon and literally 10 minutes with a screw-driver.

If you take care of TT and get on top of things - then you should be okay.
Gerry

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
There has been a lot of discussion and opinions on this topic....

My take is to turn down ALL of the add-ons....extended warranty, tire band-aids, upholstery protection, paint protection, All of them.

Lots of exclusions, lots of fine print, lots of very strict requirements, and lots of money out of your pocket and into the dealer's pocket...

X2 I totally agree
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I would get as much Extended Coverage as possible for any Thor product as their quality ain't the best.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
I agree with downtheroad, don't buy any extended warranties, coatings, protectants, etc. Put the money you would spend on "extras" aside and use that for repairs as needed.

-Michael

by "put the money aside" do you mean put that $2,000 (or whatever) in a separate account or what? would it be better to pay that $2,000 extra down payment? since that extended warranty will increase your payment $10 a month ??? if you stash that aside in 4 years you will have amassed $480 which will not help much if the engine blows up.
bumpy

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
LOL, wtf is a tire band? I actually had to look that one up. It''s like an interior bead lock.
Nice try on their part.....
You can but the best tires in the world for your steer axle for about 1/4 the cost.

Have fun with the new rig!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree with the above stuff. Just say no unless having one will help you sleep better at night as that’s all it will be good for in most cases. Get them to put in writing that all systems have been cleaned/serviced and are operating to manufacturer’s spec. Inspect the roof of that 8 yo unit for signs of caulking failures or the need to reseal the roof.

From past experience, check the date codes on those new tires. The 2000 Hurricane I bought had “new” tires but had 2-3 yo date codes.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I would have to disagree on extended warranty, but agree to turn it down when new. We purchased our extended warranty 2 years ago for our 2011 FW. We were able to select what we wanted covered and we selected the most expensive to replace components with a mid range deductible. Our RV tech says it's a comparable policy and we'll appreciate having it when our fridge needs replaced.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get whatever you can for FREE

When the 'finance guy' suggests something just say "SURE....as long as the out the door price doesn't change."

And anything they tell you 'GET it in WRITING'----no oral contracts/promises.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only coverage I believe to be essential comes from your own insurance company: Liability insurance, as for any vehicle. Collision and comprehensive is often a very good idea, too, and probably required by the lender if you have financing. None of that would be any sort of dealer add-on, of course.

Some of the add-ons can be useful, but generally it's more economical to do them yourself separately (even if you hire someone to do the installation). High on that list for me would be vent covers if the unit doesn't already have them, so you can have the ceiling vents open when it's rainy or when driving down the road. They're not hard to install if you're at all handy, about the same level of technical difficulty as putting up a drapery rod or window blind.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I almost fell for a warranty offer. A few minutes later I found someone I knew in the service department who told me the warranty was useless - in fact the fine print said it was void if the MH was ever driven on an unpaved road.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with downtheroad, don't buy any extended warranties, coatings, protectants, etc. Put the money you would spend on "extras" aside and use that for repairs as needed.

The Ford v10 is very stout. As long as you take care of it as per Ford's maintenance schedule, you will find the engine will last many, many more trouble free miles. We changed the Oil at least once a year with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil and a Motorcraft filter. We replaced the air filter about every 15,000 miles. Tires and ball joints were replaced just around 30,000 miles. That's all we did with ours. None of that would be covered under an extended warranty.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
There has been a lot of discussion and opinions on this topic....

My take is to turn down ALL of the add-ons....extended warranty, tire band-aids, upholstery protection, paint protection, All of them.

Lots of exclusions, lots of fine print, lots of very strict requirements, and lots of money out of your pocket and into the dealer's pocket...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro