cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who parks their RV at home or do you pay for storage?

Kruss42
Explorer
Explorer
With the HOA's I can not park an RV at my home. I have to pay for storage. There are not alot of covered storage in my area. What should I pay for parking it in outdoor storage and is it worth driving a longer distance to park in a covered storage area? The dealers all say I need to protect my investment and keep it out of the elements. I would like to have a real owner opinion on this as I do not want to get ripped off buying covers or having to pay to park miles away in a covered RV storage.
109 REPLIES 109

jwicker
Explorer
Explorer
We currently store 3 minutes from home in an uncovered, fenced mini-storage facility. $40/month. Glad I chose to do this right out of the gate (newbie TT owner) as I'm there 4 times a week for various things.

Considering storing free at mother-in-laws ~40 minutes away. Uncovered, gravel. It would be backed up to a working farm field...so mice damage worries me.
We have a open air, but covered place ~20 minutes away that should rent for ~$70/month. Need to call to confirm.

Undecided so far.

jw
====================
jwicker
Indiana, USA
1991 Skamper 23' TT
1983 Chevy K5 Blazer

conner5186
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone give me a phone number for any of the places mentioned in this topic, or any other ideas. Beginning RVers and need a place to store our RV somewhere around Portland, Oregon or will drive it outside of Portland vicinity if necessary. Thanks!

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Better for the RV to keep it covered but not necessarily for your pocket book. If you pay $300 a month to store it somewhere for 6 months out of the year that $1800 is money that could be used for the additional maintenance costs incurred with exposure to the sun and elements. Same applies to the cost of a cover and anything other than a Sunbrella fabric is not likely to last more than one season, though whatever you get if it is blue/green/yellow it will last a lot longer than one that is brown/gray/black over time as more UV light is getting reflected.

If you only need to visit the RV once a month while in storage then you can look for a cheaper location that is further out of town.

These concerns are part of the reason we did not get a large MH or 5th-wheel that we could not park at the house. We also knew that if it was at the house we could take more spur of the moment trips throughout the year.

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
Dadio24 wrote:
What is the size of the barn? Door size? I want to build another barn on another peice of property. Yours looks great!

Mine is 40x50 with a covered porch along the entire 50' side.

It has two 12' wide by 14' tall rollup doors so I can drive straight through the middle. Along that wall with the porch, I have a man-door and a 16' wide by 8' tall 2-car garage door....

Bought building from these guys -> http://lucasmetalworks.com

Here's a layout I made using -> http://www.cbstructuresinc.com/layout-planner

Had to have a place to drink a beer 😉

Did a write-up with progression pics here -> http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/shop-tools/1075971-sads-40x50-shop-garage.html
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 🙂 ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
DazedNConfused wrote:
anaro wrote:
DazedNConfused wrote:
anaro wrote:
Kruss- I'm not that far from you. I'm over in mebane near the tanger outlets. We also can't keep the TT at our house. In mebane we pay $50/month for outside storage. When we lived in Cary, we stored our trailer near Jordan lake. It was $49/ month for outside storage. We researched covered/indoor storage in the Jordan lake area and for a 30' TT it started at over $100/month. We do not put a cover on ours. It has been fine for the 2 yrs we have owned it.

As for distance vs close..... In Cary our TT was approx 20 min away and it was a royal pain because to take things to and from the TT was an excursion out. It cost us gas $ and you couldn't just pop over to the TT to get something or home if you forgot something when loading. Now our TT is only a few min from the house and it is really easy for us to load or do things with the TT. We can also just pop over easily to check on it. To me, it s worth it to keep it close to home.

I live in Cary and have been looking for covered storage, but haven't found any. Do you remember the names of any of the places where you found it?

DNC

There are two of them. I don't remember the names but can tell you where they are. Head out 64 west towards pittsboro/Jordan lake. You will pass a small trailer dealership on your right. Just past the trailer dealership is a little road and a big building on the corner. That is a covered storage facility. The second one is farther out 64. Pass Jordan lake. It will be on your right just before the outside American storage lot that is at the corner of mt gilead church rd and 64. American storage also has covered storage for pop ups and small boats but not TT or MH.

On edit: I looked into the indoor storage 2 yrs ago, not sure what they r asking now.

As luck would have it, they have a unit opening in about a week -- so I grabbed it. $200 ain't cheap...but it's a private bay with walls on 3 sides and a locking gate in front. 20Amp power to keep the batteries charged...and no exposure to UV or any type of precipitation when we're not camping. Think that's worth the cost of admission. The unit is basically pentagon shaped with one gated entrance -- and the whole facility is monitored by multiple cameras and is recorded. Sounds about as secure as I'm gonna' find. And the big bonus -- it's less than 10 minutes from my house. Thanks a bunch for the tip.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

Dadio24
Explorer
Explorer
SolidAxleDurango wrote:
DazedNConfused wrote:
SolidAxleDurango wrote:
DazedNConfused wrote:

Wow....that's some playhouse! Any other cool toys inside?

ATVs, Jetskis, tools.... Beergerator... Mower (<- does that count?)

A Mower counts if it's something like a Dixie Chopper -- especially the dual engine! 🙂

Nothing that awesome 😞

What is the size of the barn? Door size? I want to build another barn on another peice of property. Yours looks great!

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I fell into a great deal about a year after I bought my "C". The township where I live was selling a 60' x 60' all metal building with 3 12' x 12' garage doors with openers where they used to store road equipment. In the winter, it "rained" inside because they heated it with 4 unvented gas fired heaters. I replaced them with 2 gas fired vented furnaces. No more condensation. It already had a full bath with shower. One bay holds my "C", Jeep toad and tools, and in the other two, woodworker friends of mine built a 6 stool bar and back bar. I added a 45 RPM juke box, big screen cable TV, a pin ball machine, bowling machine, theater-style popcorn maker and a pool table. Its in an industrial area, so no neighbors. Party time! As you may have guessed, I'm not married. 🙂
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

sc3283
Explorer
Explorer
If I can't keep my things at my home, I won't have those things
04 D-Max Crew Dually

96 Monaco Dynasty 36'

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is parked across the driveway by the house, connected to electricity, water and sewer. I am the president of the HOA for the last 20 some years, and I made sure that RV parking by the house is allowed!

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
We lived in a condo, so had to find storage. We stored outside at a gated storage place for $78.00 month. We just moved to a community that has motorcoach homes as well as regular homes. We looked at the motorcoach homes, and the attached RV garage with full hookups elevated the cost of the house easily by $50,000.00-$60,000.00, so we opted not to buy a motorcoach home, but instead, bought a regular house. There is RV storage in the community. We store our MH in covered storage with electric hookup for $133.00 per month plus electric which has been about $15.00 per month. We are allowed 24 hrs. before and after a trip to have the MH parked in front of our house for loading/unloading. We figured we could pay for covered storage for 30 years for what the RV garage added to the cost of the house.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is sitting in the driveway, my son's is sitting beside the house.
My ratty ol' Dodge truck (the toy) is sitting out by the shop.
No HOA, very few CCRs, nothing to worry about.
I can even put up any amateur radio antenna I can afford to get, on any tower I can afford, no problem.
I like that!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

KRR
Explorer
Explorer
Storage, 10 minutes away - paved lot with security fence, lighting, etc. at $1.00/foot a month. Giant lot at an old factory that used to make trusses for homes, also has inside storage at $2.50/foot (if I remember correctly.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a HOA but I have kept it at the house for 5-6 weeks before. If no one makes a complaint then no problem. I have spoken to all my neighbors and they all said they didn't have a problem with it. When I do take it to the storage lot its about 10 miles from home, owner lives on site and access is 24hrs by key card. Cost $35 a month or $350 if paid by the year. Been keeping a RV of some type there for the last 10 years with no problems. Oh and it is on gravel.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We did store ours next to the house for a while but became a pain in the butt pulling it out due to slope of yard (declines from road to house). The weathers always was a factor. If I it was going to rain anytime near a departure, I would have to pull it out and put at the top of the driveway sticking out in the cul de sac. So we stuck ours in storage at a local mini storage place. It was secured and outside. Was $45/month. We didn't care for that it was somewhat gravel and somewhat dirt. Other places around wanted $25 more a month but were smaller places.

What we have done now is we have it stored down at Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach. It seems that a good bit of our trips since we had the camper were at the beach as it was. We pay I think it is either $54 or $58 a month. That includes them towing it onto site and back into storage when done. I've seen their storage lots and they are in much better condition than the storage lot we were using for not much less. Plus, OL's security does security patrols through storage. We hope to in the next year get a secondary camper possibly. Maybe a pop up that we can keep in the garage. We can use it for closer trips to the mountains.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
anaro wrote:
DazedNConfused wrote:
anaro wrote:
Kruss- I'm not that far from you. I'm over in mebane near the tanger outlets. We also can't keep the TT at our house. In mebane we pay $50/month for outside storage. When we lived in Cary, we stored our trailer near Jordan lake. It was $49/ month for outside storage. We researched covered/indoor storage in the Jordan lake area and for a 30' TT it started at over $100/month. We do not put a cover on ours. It has been fine for the 2 yrs we have owned it.

As for distance vs close..... In Cary our TT was approx 20 min away and it was a royal pain because to take things to and from the TT was an excursion out. It cost us gas $ and you couldn't just pop over to the TT to get something or home if you forgot something when loading. Now our TT is only a few min from the house and it is really easy for us to load or do things with the TT. We can also just pop over easily to check on it. To me, it s worth it to keep it close to home.

I live in Cary and have been looking for covered storage, but haven't found any. Do you remember the names of any of the places where you found it?

DNC

There are two of them. I don't remember the names but can tell you where they are. Head out 64 west towards pittsboro/Jordan lake. You will pass a small trailer dealership on your right. Just past the trailer dealership is a little road and a big building on the corner. That is a covered storage facility. The second one is farther out 64. Pass Jordan lake. It will be on your right just before the outside American storage lot that is at the corner of mt gilead church rd and 64. American storage also has covered storage for pop ups and small boats but not TT or MH.

On edit: I looked into the indoor storage 2 yrs ago, not sure what they r asking now.

As luck would have it, they have a unit opening in about a week -- so I grabbed it. $200 ain't cheap...but it's a private bay with walls on 3 sides and a locking gate in front. 20Amp power to keep the batteries charged...and no exposure to UV or any type of precipitation when we're not camping. Think that's worth the cost of admission. The unit is basically pentagon shaped with one gated entrance -- and the whole facility is monitored by multiple cameras and is recorded. Sounds about as secure as I'm gonna' find. And the big bonus -- it's less than 10 minutes from my house. Thanks a bunch for the tip.