cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would you recommend extended warranty on 2014 sun seeker?

Dtbow22
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking no...am I on the right track?
16 REPLIES 16

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
You might come out ahead individually, but as a group, its a winner for the company and a loser for the group.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
We purchased a 7 year contract when the MH was new. 7 Years later, I am ahead of the cost and looking to extend as the coach is now almost 8 years old. I am NOT mechanical and even small repairs cost me. Second MH with extended warranty, good maintenance followed and still ahead on both due to major failures of components. For me they are a YES, due mainly to peace of mind against huge replacement costs. Like all insurance(maintenance contracts) it is a bet they usually win. For me, I will extend my warranty and sleep well knowing I am protected. Good luck with your decision.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Dtbow22 wrote:
Thanks a bunch...not going to bother discussing warranty with the dealer.

You can bet he will discuss it with you!

It is a very nice "profit center" for him.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
We got an XTRA-RIDE Platinum policy (2yr) when we made the jump to our 2003 Monaco Executive. I'm still happy I had it, just for the peace of mind it provided while we gained experience with our new-to-us coach. However, our only issue was the alternator, which was replaced on-site at our CG under the EW. This came nowhere near the cost of the policy which expired last week. I'm considering a Chassis-Only coverage policy, just to protect myself from a catastrophic engine/trans failure which could be a 5-figure repair worst case. We'll see.......

workhardplayharder wrote:
I would love to see an honest survey of people who have an extended warranty. Who paid what for premiums, what was paid out in claims, and what was denied.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
We have an extended warranty through Western General. We use a very good mobile mechanic who deals with extended warranties and comes to the house to do the work. I can't do any of the work myself so it has been a blessing.

Have we covered the cost of the warranty? Not yet, but we are getting close and we still have another year on the extended warranty. We have used it on several occasions.

The issues we have had are no big ticket items, but they are enough that it adds up.
This includes the replacement of a starter twice on the Ford V10 chassis. Once under Ford warranty and once under extended warranty.
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to see an honest survey of people who have an extended warranty. Who paid what for premiums, what was paid out in claims, and what was denied.

Handyman_Xenabl
Explorer
Explorer
We opted for the extended warranty/insurance simply due to all the electronics and often shoddy workmanship (stuff you can't see).

The warranty company, Fidelity, has a very good reputation and we've had firsthand experience with vehicle claims with them. We've saved 10 times what the policies have cost us, so IMHO for peach of mind, they can be worth the money.

Cheers,
xena

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
It's a new RV that comes with 12 months warranty on the house components and standard manufacturers warranty on the chassis, correct? If you do decide to buy in, make darn sure that the extended warranty period STARTS AFTER the OEM waranties expire.

All that aside..... The chassis is standard truck components (Ford I assume). These are solidly built to last and unlikely to have any catastrophic failures that will cost you big money in repairs, as long as you maintain things.

The house components are a bit more fragile, but..... You need to balance the cost of the EW, vs likely repairs. A fridge replacement would cost you ~~$1500, but is unlikely to fail for a long time in a new rig. There's really nothing else in a class C RV that is going to cost you thousands of dollars to repair, which EW will cover. READ the contract terms VERY carefully before signing.

Lastly, YOU need to take your own financial situation into account, along with your tolerance for risk. If a $2000 repair bill is going to cause you financial problems to the point where your rig will sit in your driveway unusable, you may consider the EW. Especially if you are making a monthly loan payment on that dead rig!

As others have said, the EW companies make lots of money on these policies, because the vast majority of them don't pay out more than the premiums they take in. After all, that's why they are in business. As long as you do your due diligence and make an informed decision, you need to do what makes you comfortable!!!!!
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

capndan77
Explorer
Explorer
We can only say that we purchased a four year plan added to the mfg. first year. We are not ones to buy extended warranties but I wanted to not have to fix anything. So far, in 3 years of that extended warranty, we have doubled the premium cost in repair costs so I am very happy. The most recent was nearly $2K for replacement of a leveler pump on the coach, not something I think I could have handled myself. Good Sam has a nice breakdown in their multitude of advertising giving you the average cost of most common repairs. Kind of an eye opener.

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
Yeeeeeeesssssss. Too much electronics, electrics, slides and such to go wrong. Paid for itself on my first 5th wheel. Hope not to use it on new 5th wheel, but YOU NEVER KNOW.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

Scott_Blanc
Explorer
Explorer
Check out GoodSamESP.com to learn the difference between an extended warranty and a Mechanical Breakdown Insurance policy and get a price on an alternative to extended warranties.
Scott Blanc
Vice President and General Manager
Good Sam Extended Service Plan
sblanc@goodsamfamily.com

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I'm usually in the boat that passes on extended warranties, but for an rv I would highly consider one. They can be so poorly and cheaply made these days you just never know.

My father bought a new Rockwood fiver 2 years ago on my recommendation. I had always heard decent things about them and had owned several in the past without problems. His has been nothing but a nightmare and has spent many months in the shop getting repaired under warranty, none of which would have been covered after the original 1 year. Next month it is going back to the factory to have the entire roof replaced!
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Dtbow22
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a bunch...not going to bother discussing warranty with the dealer.

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
No don't bother with an extra warranty at the current cost of them.