cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2-1/2” Hitch extension?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just figgered out that my hitch shank is a bit too short. Nose cap on trailer hits the tail lights on the truck in tight turns. (Barely, just scratched not smashed, lol)
What I can’t find readily is a short 2.5” x 2.5” extension. Plenty of reducers, adapters and long 2.5” extensions, but nothing in a short 6-8” overall extension.
Anyone else bought one? Where?
Caveat just looked online. Haven’t hit up any trailer/truck shops yet.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
21 REPLIES 21

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I once read on an RV forum that hitch extensions limit the total load carrying ability of the hitch. Never used one except on a small converted kayak trailer that weighed almost nothing.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how long your current shank is. This Reese sticks back pretty far.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
And lol on the appearance of your twig n berries extension!

Hope you don't mind, I'm going to use that from here on out.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Thank you for the suggestion.
Yeah, got tools and ability. Don’t got time, to fab a part that don’t cost much.
Unless I can’t find one… then it’s worth it! Lol

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did kind of what mkirsh did -

except I used a piece of 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" x .250 wall, and sleeved it with 2" x 2" x .250 tubing held short to recieve a 2" hitch drawbar/shank. I button welded the sleeve. I reinforced the end with a welded band, dimensions copied from a "factory made" hitch reciever. I painted it black. If you can buy one close enough ready made that would be better. It took a bit of work to make.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thanks mkirsch!
And lol on the appearance of your twig n berries extension!
I’ve thought about fabricating one. Haven’t measured the min length needed to make it work like you were saying but doesn’t seem longer than what would work on 2” receivers.
Even still, I haven’t even seen like 12” extensions for 2-1/2” hitches.
Search continues.
All else fails, a simple heavy duty drop shank would probably work, but I already bought this nice aluminum adjustable flip over ball stinger. And it only needs to be a few inches longer (lol again) to work w my trailer.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
At 6-8" extension, you do not have room to install the shank in the "extended" part if your intent is to maintain 2.5".

What I did, was buy a 24" long Curt "weldable receiver tube", stuck it in my 2.5" receiver at the extension I needed (was about 12"), and marked the pin hole. Drilled on the drill press. Welded 15,000lb rated D-rings on it for the safety chains (looks totally inappropriate when viewed from above, if you get my drift). Made up short safety chains to chain the extension to the receiver, which you probably won't need for only 6-8". Painted with black epoxy appliance enamel.

I use a standard 2" shank in the extension, and the extension goes in the 2-1/2" receiver.

Another option presented to me was Brophy makes/made an extended shank, about 6" longer than a standard shank. BH-20 was the part number for the 2" version.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.